Harbor Freight Ultrasonic on sale

PDA

Davandron
March 1, 2010, 10:10 PM
This might just be at the Harbor Freight store in Irving, TX but the large (2.6 quart) ultrasonic machine rings up at $59, and when you use a 20% off coupon you end up paying $48; I was expecting $79 ($64 w/ coupon).

Haven't used it yet, so I can't state much from personal experience, but it is well received on the internet. If it can handle 100 rds of pistol brass in a 10 minute cycle I'll be happy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Harbor Freight Ultrasonic on sale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deanpf
March 1, 2010, 10:52 PM
Sounds good, I saw the ad this weekend. I'm sure it will handle more than 100 rounds because I have one that's a lot smaller and it will do 50-60.

GIJOEL
March 2, 2010, 10:14 AM
Do these ultra sonic cleaners replace tumblers? Or is it just used to get the brass cleaner? I have been using vibrating tumblers but with the dust andd noise i'm open to changing over to something different.

Davandron
March 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
They replace the tumbler, work faster, are quiet, and don't prodce dust. The downsides are they are smaller for the same price, and your media removal step might take longer.

I'm planning to
* Clean with warm, soapy water
* Spin water out in a salad spinner
* Dunk brass in alcohol bath to extract water drops
* Spin again to recover alcohol

That should leave me with dry brass.

Walkalong
March 2, 2010, 10:44 AM
I can't even hear my tumbler out in the shed. The ultra sonic cleaners are suppossed to do a great job, but I never wanted to fool with drying the brass, so I will just stick with a tumbler. I sprinkle a little water in the media if it gets dusty. Between that and the polish it stops the dust.

RB98SS
March 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
I wonder if one of these would work to clean gun parts.

Anyone?

Maelstrom
March 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
That's exactly what went through my mind when I saw the thread title. Now that is something I'd spring for.

Geneseo1911
March 2, 2010, 11:06 AM
I believe cleaning guns in an ultrasonic bath is the original purpose of M-Pro7. I always wanted to try it. I suspect it would do a fantastic job, although I'm not sure about getting fouling out of the barrel. I'd love to hear some reports from someone who has done it..

Jesse Heywood
March 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
Here a couple of threads

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=269545
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=211481

You need to be careful with cleaners. Ammonia and chlorine are killers for aluminum.

And don't lay your gun or parts on the bottom of the tank, the transducer will burn out. A basket is a must.

rattletrap1970
March 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
I use 50/50 water and white vinegar with 1 drop of Dawn dish Detergent per every 8oz of liquid. 30 minutes in the ultrasonic. Then I rinse in water. Then I put the brass in a cutoff leg of a pair of jeans and tie the ends shut, tumble in the dryer to dry. I do this after I de-cap and resize so the primer pockets clean out.

RB98SS
March 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
when you use a 20% off coupon

Where did you find this?

snuffy
March 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/bullets/websize/P9120095.JPG

I believe this is the one advertised? If so, it's the real deal for cleaning just about anything.

Here's some .223 lapua brass that I cleaned in mine.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/bullets/websize/P9120097.JPG

I wonder if one of these would work to clean gun parts.

Anyone?

For cleaning gun parts, you can't beat the ultra sonic cleaners. I use mine with this cleaner made by shooters choice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=311703

It also works for brass, BUT it contains a chemical that eats zinc for breakfast! That's what I used to make that .223 brass so clean in the above pic. I posted these results on TFL, a guy answered that the chemical would weaken the brass over time.

I put my entire lower assy of my glock M-22 in the US with the aqua clean. Ran it through two 8 minute cycles with the heat on. It came out completely clean, every nook and cranny spotless. Did the same with the slide, same results. Have you ever tried to get a trigger assy from a remmy shotgun/rifle really clean? A dunk in the US cleaner will do it WITHOUT taking it all apart!

Now a warning. As stated in the linked threads, you have to rinse well, and immediately oil well. Any bare steel will instantly rust! It pulls ALL the oil off the parts.

nm3
March 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
Where did you find this?
If you are an NRA member, check the monthly magazine. There is usually a coupon in the Harbor Freight ad.

essayons21
March 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
They replace the tumbler, work faster, are quiet, and don't prodce dust

The bolded statement needs a big disclaimer. The noise level relative to a tumbler is subjective. They emit a high pitched buzzing sound which will most likely freak out pets, and some people find it far more annoying than the droning of a tumbler.

parker51
March 2, 2010, 02:04 PM
It is still $79 on their web site.

RB98SS
March 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
Well, it looks like they have them at the local HF. I'm picking one up tonight. Anyone use a gun with night sights (Glock) in their ultrasonic?

Anyone try this cheaper cleaner?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=337712

Nate1778
March 2, 2010, 04:36 PM
I just got back from my gunsmith and he had an action sitting in one soaking. Pulled it and showed on to me and it was pretty clean.

RB98SS
March 2, 2010, 07:59 PM
Picked one up on the way home tonight. $48 bucks, just like the OP said.

$59 on sale with a 20% off coupon found here.. http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/SingleMagLanders/popscience/images/20_c.jpg

or here... http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/3-general/images/20_c.jpg

I printed both and don't remember which one the gal used but they're good.

Magoo
March 2, 2010, 08:22 PM
"...If it can handle 100 rds of pistol brass..."

I'll believe it will handle 100 rds, but how many more after that?

That's my big question. I'm okay with HF for some things, but for the most part only things that I only need to work once. I love a good bargain as much as the next guy, but just can't bring myself to buy a tool that I know is going to break on me (and no, I can't afford a chest full of SnapOn tools either). So...any reports of the robustness/longevity of this presumably China-made piece?

Ret.CWO
March 2, 2010, 09:00 PM
Walkalong use two or three USED cloths dryer softner sheets. No need to add the water. For some reason it soaks up the dust liker a magnet.

Davandron
March 2, 2010, 09:19 PM
The model is the one as in Snuffy's pictures. I used a coupon from American Hunter, but those coupons show up in so many magazines it's not funny, plus they accept the printouts from their website and from digital magazines.

And yep, I plan to use it for other things besides brass; if you haven't seen an ultrasonic machine work on old parts you haven't lived. :) Not long ago, I was trying to clean a clogged idler jet from an old ATV carburetor. Nothing worked until I snuck it into the little lady's ultrasonic jewelery cleaner and watched the gunk disappear in 90 seconds.

To Magoo, I hear ya. I bought an electric impact wrench from HF that worked on the car twice before it stopped working as an impact device (now it's just a power wrench; worthless). I took a gamble with this one because it has no moving parts; the circuit should last as long as they aren't overloading the transducer. Also, there are some good finds (see here (http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Harbor_Freight_Gems) and here (http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08/06/buyer-beware-a-harbor-freight-buying-guide-the-good-enough-the-bad-and-the-abysmal/) noting that my impact wrench is in the Don't Buy list).

I didn't intend to make an ultrasonics thread, but ah what the heck: There is a lot of info on cleaning brass at the 6mm Bench Rest site (http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html).

Bush Pilot
March 2, 2010, 09:30 PM
There was a coupon in our last Sunday paper for 20% off one item at HF.

Davandron
March 2, 2010, 09:34 PM
Oh there is something else that I want to mention to the group: You can use inflammable liquids (alcohol, solvents, etc.) in ultrasonic cleaners. The trick is you have to remove the vapors and prevent them from finding a spark.

Now the HF cleaner is not designed to be spark-free, but at the same time isn't designed to spark. And when you read on how these machines work (billions of little cavitation explosions that are hotter than the sun) you think Egh-ads! But it takes more than that to ignite these liquids (oxygen, for one).

Depending on the resonance of tank, the ultrasonic might increase the vaporization rate, and the heater won't help that either, but it all comes down to dealing with the vapors.

Schwabee1
March 2, 2010, 09:49 PM
What is the best cleaning solution to use in the ultrasonic cleaner for our brass? Matt

RB98SS
March 2, 2010, 10:17 PM
That's my big question. I'm okay with HF for some things, but for the most part only things that I only need to work once. I love a good bargain as much as the next guy, but just can't bring myself to buy a tool that I know is going to break on me

I purchased the two year replacement warranty extension for $10 when I bought mine today. If it breaks, I go get me a new one.

kelbro
March 2, 2010, 10:42 PM
I have the same model. Mine has been used hard for over a year without a hiccup. Gets brass really clean.

roc1
March 2, 2010, 11:02 PM
How does this one compare to the new Hornady? Hornady rep said not to use vineagar as it attacks brass. I saw Harbor Freight has the powder stuff you mix will that clean brass or does it have ammonia in it? Ammonia is bad for brass as well.
Thanks
roc1

Geneseo1911
March 2, 2010, 11:30 PM
Heh heh....I asked Mrs. Geneseo if I could buy one, and she asked, "what for?".

My response...."so I can clean your jewelry!";)

She didn't buy it, but she did approve the purchase...:D

jcwit
March 2, 2010, 11:39 PM

My response...."so I can clean your jewelry!"

She didn't buy it, but she did approve the purchase...

Man I'm glad I don't have to go though all that.

Davandron
March 3, 2010, 01:27 AM
Geneseo: I gave my little lady a small UC cleaner shortly after I gave her an engagement ring (that was 6+ years ago). It really is amazing what the jewelry looks like afterward, especially in the bathroom with all the lights on. Make this the first thing you clean (it will validate the purchase).

On the general topic, I looked up the info at L&R Clean World's HCS-200 (that is the $400 ultrasonic machine marketed directly for handguns). It's the same machine as their SweepZone 200, and the specifications are very similar to the HF machine.

Here are their Handgun instructions (http://www.lrultrasonics.com/AppNotes/LRAPP021.PDF):
The MSDS tell you a little bit of what they are using:
* The cleaner (http://www.lrultrasonics.com/msds/HandgunCleaningSolution2-25-09.pdf), in concentrate, is an alkaline cleaning solution of mostly water and soap with some cleaners added. Ammonia or Baking soda and dish soap sound good to me!
* The lubricant (http://www.lrultrasonics.com/msds/HandgunLubricatingSolution2-25-09.pdf) is "Aliphatic Hydrocarbon" with some mineral oil. Yeah, I'm not a chemist so wikipedia basically told me that means its a non-aromatic hydrocarbon oil; maybe its something like a naphthenic oil (MSDS is similar to Birchwood Barricade oil (http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/msdspdfs/33128-BRP4.pdf)).

BTW, did you know that Hoppe's Lubricating Oil is 100% mineral oil!?

Wingnut13
March 3, 2010, 01:50 AM
I miss living near a HF store......sometimes. ~Wingnut13

macnewbie
March 3, 2010, 02:50 AM
Just wanted to thank the OP for sharing this deal. Picked one up today. Can't wait to try it...

kelbro
March 3, 2010, 08:46 AM
You have to remember with US cleaners, the part(s) that you want to clean can't be placed directly on the bottom of the reservoir. You need to use the basket or some other rig to suspend the part's in the solution. Mine is filled with distilled water and the brass is placed in another container that is suspended in the water. The cleaning solution is only in the smaller container and is easy and economical to replace. When you need to clean something big, then you use the reservoir. Simple Green dilutions work great in US cleaners. It's really cool how transmitting sound waves can have such a powerful effect.

Hey_Allen
March 3, 2010, 03:40 PM
Looking at the pictures, the Hornady branded one appears to be identical to one of the HF offerings...

I've been using a smaller version of the HF cleaner, without a heater, for a good while. I'm thinking of snagging this one for the larger capacity and the heater though!

Davandron
March 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
It's come to my attention that Barricade is not intended as a lubricant (though looking at its components, I'm not sure why not; and at $21/32oz it's well priced).

In any case, although not the same as the L&R stuff, it looks like Break Free CLP and Kano Microil are both about $1/oz, are considered lubricants, and could be good substitutes for the ultrasonic lubrication. Of course, if you think Hoppe's is good enough, then save yourself some money and buy no-name white mineral oil at <$10/32oz.

Following the L&R's instructions you'd place the parts in the oil while applying power. I'd then let them drip dry back into the tank, followed by a wipe off.

SSN Vet
March 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
$79 on the web site....

:(

AzBuckfever
March 3, 2010, 05:22 PM
Glad this thread with the others, has been mentioned. My question would be this...

#1. How often do you have to clean/replace the liquid and what do you do, clean it, or replace it?

Also found a link for a process and chemical make-up that someone uses for cleaning. Looks NICE!

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

roc1
March 3, 2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks Davandron for the heads up. I just bought one here in Lubbock with the coupon out of Sundays paper for the same price. What cleaner are you using they say corrosive ones will discolor and weaken brass? I would use this after resizing and then let the brass sit probably a couple of days to dry before I load it.I guess like the one other poster said you could dry it in a dryer or with a hair dryer but letting it sit should work ok after blowing it out with my compressor.
Thanks again
roc1

MacTech
March 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
So, if I have a couple of ultrasonic foggers, and a 2.5 gallon aquarium, can I make my own UC for cleaning brass? what would be the best cleaner for the brass?

Maj Dad
March 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
Recommend you do a little research before putting the aquarium at risk. US cleaners are used to clean surgical instruments along with all the other mechanical parts in all manner of industries. I have a Gemoro that was bought by a friend to clean his wife's jewelery (Geneseo's spirit brother) and who gave it to me when he moved to Abu Dhabi. I use it to clean jewelery (I ain't no dummy) and gun parts, or anything else I want completely clean. You can use the cobbled together solutions like those mentioned here, or get over the counter stuff from several places, mixable powders, liquids to dilute, etc etc. Here's one link: http://www.sonicsonline.com/ You do need a basket to hold the items off the tub, and the clamshell holder is great for small parts. Joe Bob sez chek it out... :cool:

MacTech
March 3, 2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not worried about the aquarium, i used it previously as a saltwater fog test chamber to corrosion-test some common stainless steel pocketknives (look on the Spyderco forums if you're interested) as well as some of Spyderco's "Salt" series of H-1 steel knives

a cheapo Sheffield stainless hawkbill utility knife started rust spotting in a half hour, actual rust in an hour, the Salt?

TWO WEEKS in the exact same solution, not a speck of rust, I actually got bored and stopped the test at two weeks

I'm not worried about damaging the tank

Davandron
March 3, 2010, 11:05 PM
To those that don't have a store near you; I'm sorry to disappoint you. Like I posted originally, I didn't know if it was just my local store or all brick & mortars, but I knew the sale wasn't for online purchases.

ROC1, Macnewbie: You're welcome.

The 6mm Bench Rest article that both I and AzBuckFever linked is a good source of info for an acidic approach. I'm not looking to get super shiny pistol brass; just get the gunk gone.

I intent to start with warm water + dish soap (and maybe some baking soda to raise the pH). Afterwards, to get rid of the water, I'm going to dunk the brass in the cheapest denatured alcohol I can get. This will instantly displace the water, and what little alcohol remains should flash off rather quickly.

MacTech my understanding is that humidifiers / fog generators work differently; I think they may be infrasonic (edit: nope, they are ultra-ultra sonic as in 600KHz to 1MHz versus 40KHz in the cleaner). I also don't think they have the energy level to handle the large water mass.

Geneseo1911
March 4, 2010, 01:02 AM
In case anyone cares: The aforementioned deal is listed on page 29 of the "monthly savings book packed with ridiculously low prices" that shows up in my mail (and I had to dig out of the recycling), so it should be at all stores, and the ad says prices good until March 25th. I'm a bit surprised it doesn't show up online, but I've never ordered online from them.

I'm a bit amazed as well that I can't find a 20% off coupon anywhere in my house. Usually I can find one in about 15s, as the stupid things are like tribbles..... luckily RB98SS saved my bacon with a link!

AzBuckfever
March 4, 2010, 02:52 AM
Davandron...

My bad. I didn't even notice that you posted a link to the same freakin' thing. It's a peave of mine when people do that :fire:

RB98SS
March 4, 2010, 10:28 AM

My response...."so I can clean your jewelry!"

She didn't buy it, but she did approve the purchase...

By the way, my wife loves it. ;)

Davandron
March 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
AzBuckFever: No worries; good info often gets cited repeatedly.

veyec
March 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
For anyone that might need it, here is a link to a 20% off coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/SingleMagLanders/popscience/images/20_c.jpg

RB98SS
March 4, 2010, 08:42 PM
I just clipped the handles off my HF basket and now can place it in the tub upside down. It sits suspended about a 1/2 inch off the tub bottom. Probably better for the transducer when heavier parts are in the tank. It still works sitting on the bottom too but it's a little harder to grab without the loops.

FYI

BFE
March 5, 2010, 07:59 PM
veyec

Posts: 13 For anyone that might need it, here is a link to a 20% off coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/...mages/20_c.jpg

Thanks, I just got back from Harbor Freight Tools with a new ultrasonic cleaner at a 20% discount.

Davandron
March 9, 2010, 02:15 AM
Quick note: I had forgotten that ammonia attacks brass, so don't use ammonia or window cleaner! Baking soda, Simple Green, and TSP should all be OK.

berettashotgun
March 9, 2010, 03:17 AM
You might try automatic dishwasher detergent.
That stuff continues to impress me as a cleaner.

Nate1778
March 9, 2010, 08:58 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday for $60. I picked up some of their detergent as well for it. Ran my Interarms PPK knock off through it, I got to say I have never scene a gun clean so quickly and thoroughly as this. Pulled it out and let it sit in a 200F oven minus grips for about 15 minutes. It was so clean I hated putting oil back on it. I love this thing, and am having a hard time finding things to put in it at this point.

tabealer
March 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
I just purchased one at HF today. I am trying to figure out how to make the thing clean like everyone says. I am only trying to clean about 50-75 .223 shells and using the cheap HF US cleaner powder. I pre-soaked the shells in Simple Green for a few hours first. I am using the heat.

Are there any tricks to these things? The water gets a little dirty and the shells are coming out a little cleaner but nowhere near what the vibrator does with a skosh of Flitz.

KHughes
March 10, 2010, 01:02 AM
The best thing I've found to us in the HF ultrasonic cleaner is Iosso brass cleaner. I have the small HF cleaner and use hot water and a couple of caps full of Iosso. Cleans them up real nice but they will be a bit dull.

If you must have shiny brass run them through a second pass with RCBS Sidewinder Cleaning Solution in the unit followed by a rinse in hot water and they come out looking good.

Ya'll are taking the drying thing too seriously. Just rinse them in hot water and hang them up in a mesh bag to air dry for a few days. No muss no fuss.

Kent

BFE
March 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
tabealer
Posts: 5 I just purchased one at HF today. I am trying to figure out how to make the thing clean like everyone says. I am only trying to clean about 50-75 .223 shells and using the cheap HF US cleaner powder. I pre-soaked the shells in Simple Green for a few hours first. I am using the heat.

Are there any tricks to these things? The water gets a little dirty and the shells are coming out a little cleaner but nowhere near what the vibrator does with a skosh of Flitz.

I just purchased the HF Ultrasonic cleaner and tried it for the first time using the solution below and I am more then pleased with the results. My brass came out looking close to new, my first batch was 18ea. 30-378 deprimed. I put the brass in a beaker and then put the beaker in the U C filled up to the high mark thats in the tank. Using the beaker makes it easyer to change from vineger to the Baking Soda and water by simply dumping between solutions.
ULTRASONIC CLEANING — Baney's Best Recipes

My ultimate solution resulted in shiny brass that was 100% devoid of carbon, inside and out. Even the carbon deposits on the neck and the primer pockets were completely removed! My objective had been accomplished! Dirty old black brass came out like new inside and out…I was amazed. Not only did my protocol work well, but it was the least expensive option in the whole test! For "Cheap and Clean," this is the procedure I settled on:

CHEAP and CLEAN
24 minutes - 50% Vinegar + 1 Drop Dish Soap per 8 ounces water
480 seconds - Baking Soda (BS) in water (1 grain BS per ounce of water)
480 seconds - Hot Water
480 seconds - Distilled Water
Total: 48 minutes
Cost: Less than $2.00 per gallon

You can read the whole story at this link, he has a CLEAN and SHINY version also but the above solution is fine by me.
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

kelbro
March 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
Follow the link in BFE's post. That method has worked very well for me.

Davandron
January 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
OP reviving the thread for an important realization.

Lyman's $139 Turbo sonic ultrasonic case cleaner (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/turbosonic-casecleaner.php) is the same as the Harbor Freight model (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html)! Lyman's does come with a nicer basket.

Having two sets of instructions is helpful (although doesn't reveal a lot of new information). Still good to have both.

rondog
January 10, 2011, 12:44 AM
I have that same model US cleaner. I use it for gun parts w/solvent, it works great! I also use it for brass with a homemade solution for cleaning heavy tarnish, it does good for that too. Also cleans dirt off well too, but nothing can replace my tumbler for polishing. I LOVE bright, shiny brass!

Watergoat
January 11, 2011, 12:22 AM
My nephew has a side business repairing/cleaning musical instruments. He bought a big one, for tubas, 5 or 6 years ago. Paid something over $13,000 for it, made his money back in less than a year. You would not believe some of the stuff that comes out of horns, and they have to have it repaired, or it won't play.

rattletrap1970
January 11, 2011, 07:59 AM
I keep my ultrasonic cleaner full of water based cleaner, but, I keep several glass beakers next to the clear for use with solvents. I have your average compliment of solvents: mineral spirits, enamel reducer, laquer thinner, denatured alcohol, acetone, etc. When I have to remove something tough I put a small amount of solvent in a glass beaker (glass is transparent to ultrasonics), put my parts in the beaker, then submerge the beaker in the water to the depth of the solvent in the beaker. The solvent in the beaker vibrates just like the water in the tank. This works great and allows you to use many different types of cleaners without changing the contents of the tank constantly.

Crashbox
January 11, 2011, 10:14 AM
I have a small (1/2 gallon) Crest ultrasonic cleaner which I've had for several years now, purchased long before I started reloading; for cleaning used brass I now use about 1-2 ounces of Maintex neutral pH floor cleaner with a teaspoon of citric acid, heated to about 50 degrees Celsius (or rounded to approximately 120 degrees Fahrenheit). I've often thought of using solvent-filled beakers as Rattletrap1970 does (I also have a plethora of solvents), along with the beaker holders- but the last time I checked the prices on those holders, they were *expensive*!!!

For me, it is well worth the extra effort to decap the used brass and clean them ultrasonically- I dry them out in a convection toaster oven set for 225-250 degrees F.

Adding the citric acid makes all the difference in the world- it dramatically improves the cleaning effect and they say it passivates the brass, which I tend to believe as my treated cases are still nice and shiny.

Just my $.02-

rattletrap1970
January 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
I made beaker holders out of sheets of scrap lexan and a hole saw. I just made holes that were big enough to hold under the rim of the beaker and rests on the top of the unit.

Some guy did a test of various cleaners to clean cartridges. The best performer was 50/50 water and white vinegar with one drop of dawn dish detergent for each 8oz of fluid. This is what I use. I dry them in a cut off pant leg sewed closed on one end and tied at the other. I Toss it in the drier with a bunch of old towels to keep it from beating up the dryer.

petrey10
January 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
do you guys do this after sizing and depriming? or just after depriming?

rondog
January 11, 2011, 04:27 PM
Just deprime with a universal decapping die, otherwise you're trying to resize dirty brass which might scratch your carbide die.

Crashbox
January 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
I first decap 'em with a universal decapping die, then tank the little buggers for about eight to ten minutes. I especially love how clean the primer pockets get by doing the ultrasonic thing.

TW Copeland
February 6, 2011, 03:18 AM
I bought an ultrasonic cleaner at HF yesterday and mixed up a batch of Ed's Red (http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9)(equal parts Automatic Transmission Fluid, Mineral Spirits, kerosene and acetone (optional)) and cleaned my Ruger P89 in it. I regret putting acetone in it because the acetone disolved away the center of the plastic mat that came with the ultrasonic cleaner. It also started to eat away at the lid and took the paint off one of the buttons on the front of the machine.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/tomcopeland1/?action=view&current=barrelbeforelg.jpg

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/tomcopeland1/?action=view&current=barrelbeforelg.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1217.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd384%2Ftomcopeland1%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dsetbutton.jpg

I am very impressed with the results on my pistol and was going to use it to clean some other gun parts but I need to find a new plastic mat or basket for the ultrasonic cleaner first.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/tomcopeland1/?action=view&current=barrelbeforelg.jpg
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/tomcopeland1/?action=view&current=barrelbeforelg.jpg#!oZZ5QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1217.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd384%2Ftomcopeland1%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dbarrelafter.jpg

I mixed the Ed's Red solution and am storing it in an old metal Coleman fuel can. I think I will leave it outside with the lid off for awhile to let the acetone evaporate.

Here are the flash points for the ingredients:
Acetone: -4 F
Mineral spirits: 104 F
Kerosene: 110 F
Synthetic ATF: 356-453 F (varies by brand)

Without the acetone, it will be much less flammable but will take longer to get the parts clean. Even with the acetone, it produces a low flame when touched with a lit match, but a partially lit match (these cheap wood matches that don't produce a flame but just burn like a slow fuse) goes out when touched to the solution. So, I felt safe enough to use the heater in the ultrasonic cleaner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Harbor Freight Ultrasonic on sale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!