Went to buy my first gun today and . . .

PDA

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 12:18 AM
Delayed. :(

I went to a popular sporting goods store to buy a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Filled out the 4473 for first time, waited for about 10 min and then was told that I was put on a 3-day delay.

Being clueless, I asked the manager what that means (manager was doing my paperwork) and was told that I'd be getting a call in a few days to come get the gun.

I put my SSN# on my form as I know there are many people with my first + last name in my city (in NEvada)---even went to school with one back in the day.

However, they didn't even ask for it. WTH?

Was I flagged for first-time buyer? Don't mind waiting a few days, just wondering.

Oh, LOL, long-time reader, first time poster. :)

Curious, do I just wait around now or should I call store back in a few days? I've been reading about how NCIS is inconsistent. And if I hear nothing back and this popular store won't sell past 3 days without confirmation, do I just attempt to buy elsewhere to re-do my background check? If so, how long do I wait?

Thanks for any replies. And no, I'm not a felon, no felonies or anything like that. My last ticket was about 20 years ago. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to buy my first gun today and . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesDancer
March 2, 2010, 12:24 AM
I should ask; did payment go through for the gun?

I ask this because if you paid for it, then the "3-day delay" is probably just a 3 day waiting period (by law). I have the same thing in my state: 2 days for long guns, and 3 days for handguns. They also don't require your SSN# on the 4473; I know from experience. This doesn't sound too unusual to me.

Now, I'd say that if they didn't accept payment, you might have an issue here...

dec41971
March 2, 2010, 12:27 AM
Don't worry, you tripped up one of their potential flags probably due to a high % potential match to someone not so nice. Just be patient they just want to make sure you are not one of the flagged guys. Happened to me on my 5th gun too. In my case the dealer called in and talked to a live person, was told wait for someone to call them. 20 minutes later, someone called asking them to verify my ID and ask for more info. Seems some idiot who just happen to have a similar name done something recently and they just wanted to double check. In the end, no drama.:p

[Pb]
March 2, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm afraid you are at the whim of a complicated bureaucratic process that no one entirely understands- it will probably iron itself out in a couple days though. If everything proceeds normally they will call you in a few days and you can go get your gun. Otherwise, try somewhere else, it could just be a kink in the system.

Be aware that even some misdemeanor offenses (depending on the state- some DUII, assault, substance and other convictions that carry a max jail time of at least two years) can prevent you from buying guns- although it sounds like this is not the case.

Good luck

dec41971
March 2, 2010, 12:30 AM
I should ask; did payment go through for the gun?

I ask this because if you paid for it, then the "3-day delay" is probably just a 3 day waiting period (by law). I have the same thing in my state: 2 days for long guns, and 3 days for handguns. They also don't require your SSN# on the 4473; I know from experience. This doesn't sound too unusual to me.

Now, I'd say that if they didn't accept payment, you might have an issue here...
You are right. However if it turns out someone with a similar name is in the database, and you don't give them a SSN, you are likely not getting that gun. SSN is used to double verify you are not the other guy. It happens that names match by co-incidence, even in the same city.

MistWolf
March 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't think Nevada has a waiting period. Supplying the SSN on the form is optional but helps narrow down who you are. It sounds like there's a glitch someplace. You will need to go back to the store and find out if you were cleared. If not, you'll need to file to find out why you were denied.

I was denied once because I underpaid a traffic ticket by $5 and it went to warrant. I knew nothing about it! I got it cleared up and haven't had a problem since.

There have been cases of folks getting denied because another person of the same name & similar description had run afoul of the law

LeontheProfessional
March 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
That is why I love my name so much. If you were to google my name I would be the only one that would show up. I can guarantee you that I am the only one in the FBI data base. I have never had to wait, not even on the first.

BluesDancer
March 2, 2010, 12:41 AM
You are right. However if it turns out someone with a similar name is in the database, and you don't give them a SSN, you are likely not getting that gun. SSN is used to double verify you are not the other guy. It happens that names match by co-incidence, even in the same city.

Thanks for clarifying; I honestly never would have considered that possibility. Do you recommend giving out your SSN# on the 4473? I never do unless I absolutely have to; it's a privacy thing with me.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 12:46 AM
Oh well. Some other points:

1. I don't have any convictions or anything, so it's not DUI, battery or whatever there.

2. I did not make payment. So, guess I'm out $25 tops.

3. I have no doubt someone with my name (just like Bob Smith or something) has done something not cool --- at least enough to trip the system. Of course, I thought that's what the place of birth was for.

As far as I know, NV has no waiting period (at least for shotgun) as she told me when she called I'd just need to come pay and walk out with the gun.

Also, I have no tickets.

What a junky system.

-eaux-
March 2, 2010, 12:53 AM
no pre-determined waiting period in my state. have filled out the yellow form countless times and usually walk out the door with my purchase. i don't provide my ss#. have had to wait the 3 day clearance a couple of times. i chalked it up more to backlog than anything.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 12:58 AM
It's just a shocker. My mind, thanks to reading all these fine threads, starts going all over the place as to what could be the issue.

Hopefully, I'll get a call in a few days and be done with it....for now.

It almost seems like a roulette system. I've read where people get delayed 50% of the time, most of the time, some of the time, and all sorts of stuff.

Oh well, bummer for my first-time experience so far. :)

MachIVshooter
March 2, 2010, 01:12 AM
Be aware that even some misdemeanor offenses (depending on the state- some DUII, assault, substance and other convictions that carry a max jail time of at least two years)

Federally, anything punishable by more than one year is a prohibiting conviction. It's question number 3 on the 4473. And thanks to the Lautenberg amendment, any DV conviction curbs your 2A rights.

For those of us who've taken to pencil whipping the form after a doing few dozen (or hundred), a refresher:

http://www.thundertek.net/documents/4473.pdf

To the OP:

I asked the manager what that means (manager was doing my paperwork) and was told that I'd be getting a call in a few days to come get the gun.

Not necessarily. Delayed just means that they need to dig more, it does not mean they will give a "proceed" within 72 hours. My delay came back a denial, when CBI had revamped their record keeping system and conveniently lost the part of my case showing dismissal of charges. Took a couple of months and a notarized copy of the proceedings to get it ironed out.

Buck Snort
March 2, 2010, 01:20 AM
WHAT?!! You mean that people who don't have to wait TEN DAYS like here in the PRC don't just go flat out stark rave'n mad and just shoot people right and left? Can't be!!

duns
March 2, 2010, 01:48 AM
At the background check, the result can be PROCEED, DENIED, or DELAYED. I suppose DELAYED is when they need to do more checks for some reason. I've bought three guns in Texas and each time, a delay of was imposed. I wondered if maybe it was because I'm a Green Card holder not a citizen. Each time NICS called my FFL dealer back well before the delay period was up with a PROCEED. I believe that if the delay period expires and NICS has not made a decision, the FFL dealer can automatically release the gun. So don't worry about it.

HunterBear71
March 2, 2010, 01:59 AM
I have bought literally dozens of guns. I was delayed for three days when I made my last purchase. Attempted to buy on a friday and got a call the next monday to come pick up the gun. I have bought guns since then without being delayed. Relax, it is no big deal.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 02:31 AM
I have bought literally dozens of guns. I was delayed for three days when I made my last purchase. Attempted to buy on a friday and got a call the next monday to come pick up the gun. I have bought guns since then without being delayed. Relax, it is no big deal.
Yeah, it just feels like a big deal since it's my first time and I wasn't experienced/informed. But now I know how it all works. :)

Weird thing, in my opinion, is that in my state I can just go buy the same gun from a private party without any paperwork.

Bass Ackwardz
March 2, 2010, 02:41 AM
I guess I am just one of those lucky guys. I have never gotten anything other than a proceed when purchasing a firearm. One of the guys who works at my LGS gets delayed about 1 out of every 2 purchases. I dont the reasoning behind any of it, i dont think anyone really does...lol.

Bas

ilikepancakes
March 2, 2010, 03:07 AM
WHAT?!! You mean that people who don't have to wait TEN DAYS like here in the PRC don't just go flat out stark rave'n mad and just shoot people right and left? Can't be!!

Well of course not, as long as the gun has less than 10rd capacity. The high cap magazine is what makes a killer.

35wailen
March 2, 2010, 04:10 AM
2. I did not make payment. So, guess I'm out $25 tops. $25 For what?

wishin
March 2, 2010, 08:09 AM
Get yourself a carry permit. Then you can walk out with your newly bought gun.

America_without_liberals
March 2, 2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
2. I did not make payment. So, guess I'm out $25 tops.
$25 For what?

My thoughts exactly. If this was just for the paperwork, you need to find a different shop. I could see if they were transferring the gun in for you from another seller but if this is something off their rack, you are overpaying.

pbearperry
March 2, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hey LeontheProffessional.Are you Clarence Bartholemew Lipchitz?Only kidding.

xcgates
March 2, 2010, 08:46 AM
Wow, I thought it was annoying enough to spend the time to fill out the form. With both the rifle and shotgun, it took longer to fill it out than for the guy to call it in. In fact, the last time, one guy was showing me how to disassemble the shotgun, and the call took about half the time of the demo.

Mind you I triple checked the forms, and the seller checked them again, making sure I wrote things in exactly the right format.

LeontheProfessional
March 2, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hey LeontheProffessional.Are you Clarence Bartholemew Lipchitz?Only kidding.
How did you know? Are you a hacker?

Nico Testosteros
March 2, 2010, 09:21 AM
I was surprised when I had to wait when I bought my No. 4 Mk 1* a couple weeks ago. I never had to wait before. But it was a Saturday.
I got a call about an hour after the gun store told me I had to wait.
So I went back.
Still haven't shot the gun yet.

zoom6zoom
March 2, 2010, 09:24 AM
If your name gets a hit in the system, even if you put down your SSN, it will get punted into the pile to wait for an actual person to look at it and make a decision, hence the wait. If this happens to you once, it's likely to happen every time. Sorry.

Doggy Daddy
March 2, 2010, 09:41 AM
1) $25 for the background check is correct in Nevada
2) No wait on long guns
3) 3-day wait on first handgun purchase.
4) Even if you have a CCW, you still do the background check.

Quick tale: My wife and I bought our first handguns together. Picked them out, filled out the 4473s, paid, and went home to wait. Came back 3 days later. I got my gun, but she was delayed. :what: That was not a happy wife! I got "the look" the whole way home. Couldn't even look at my gun without getting "the look". She was finally approved, got her gun, and I was back on good terms. :)

DD

svaz
March 2, 2010, 10:32 AM
Do you recommend giving out your SSN# on the 4473? I never do unless I absolutely have to; it's a privacy thing with me.

I have a pretty common first+last, esp. in this part of the country, so on my first purchase (since NICS took effect) I added my SSN. On my next one I rolled the dice and came up good. Maybe because my name is uncommon where I was born (4473, ques#3)? You place your bets you takes your chances ...

I will say this, on my first purchase the counter guy seemed friendly enough until partway through the check then he started giving me the hairy eyeball and went halfway into the back room. He still seemed kinda hesitant when he turned over the goods. I've always wondered what that was all about.

NavyLCDR
March 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
Get yourself a carry permit. Then you can walk out with your newly bought gun.

Too bad he would also have to move to Georgia, change his state of residency to Georgia and get a Georgia Firearms License as well. In Nevada a CWP does not exempt persons from the NICS check.

jimmyraythomason
March 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
it took longer to fill it out than for the guy to call it in. This is my experience as well and I've bought several guns from dealers since the NICS system was put in place.

wishin
March 2, 2010, 11:01 AM
Too bad he would also have to move to Georgia, change his state of residency to Georgia and get a Georgia Firearms License as well. In Nevada a CWP does not exempt persons from the NICS check.
And to think Harry Reed is pro-gun. Go figure.

skidooman
March 2, 2010, 11:02 AM

This must be a Vegas:barf: thing. When I bought my first handgun in 06, the day of my 21st birthday. I walked in, filled out the form, paid and was on my way. Unfortunately the CCW wont get you out of the background check anymore. I did get to buy a few guns using it though. I think I read somewhere that theres a sheriff here that didnt think that was a good system so he wouldnt sign the deal and screwed the rest of the state.
Like the signs say here in NV, anyone BUTT Harry. He's like a bad fungus.

foghornl
March 2, 2010, 11:49 AM
Have a co-worker that gets the delay thing every single time.

Someone with the very same name, and 1 digit difference in SocSec number is a very bad person..couple of felony convictions, currently wanted for bad checks.

Jonah71
March 2, 2010, 11:57 AM
I never know from one purchase to the next when I'm gonna get flagged to wait or walk out with the gun. All my info is the same and there appears never to be any reason or pattern. I just pretty much count on waiting. And if I don't have to, it saves a 25 mile round trip 3 days later.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, I'm in NV (Clark County), so it's $25 for the bg check. Kind of a nice racket.

Only thing that would make this better is if you had to pull a handle on the proceed-denied-delayed slot machine. :)

I guess this means buying a gun at a gun show is out. Not sure exactly how I'd go back days later when it's gone.

jimmyraythomason
March 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
I guess this means buying a gun at a gun show is out. Can you buy from a non-dealer (no ffl) at gunshows where you live? If so,no problem.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 12:42 PM
Can you buy from a non-dealer (no ffl) at gunshows where you live? If so,no problem.

Not sure actually. That's a good thing to find out. I can always buy from private parties here, but I was just thinking it would suck to find a nice firearm at a show I wanted and not be able to buy it due to being delayed. :)

skidooman
March 2, 2010, 01:27 PM
In NV you can buy from a private party at a show with no background check.

RebelRed
March 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
In NV you can buy from a private party at a show with no background check.

That's good to know. Thanks.

otiac
March 2, 2010, 04:22 PM
Have yet to NOT walk out of the store with piece in Florida;have all dux in a row.They call it in there and then.

RebelRed
March 3, 2010, 07:43 PM
I had a couple more questions, if someone could help me out here:

1. Should I call the store to see if my NICS is still pending or approved? Just wondering if the store will even bother checking up or how good communication is with everyone.

2. I did this Mon morning. Does the 3 days pass on Thur morning or is it close of business Thur or?

Figures. Found a used shotgun I like while waiting. Can't get both. :)

TexasBill
March 3, 2010, 08:11 PM
The store should call you. Three days generally means three 24-hour periods from the time of the call so I would probably call tomorrow afternoon.

budiceman
March 3, 2010, 10:49 PM
If it was me I'd call them. I brought a pistol one time and walked out with it that day. 2 months later I went to buy a long gun and was delayed. The guy at the counter told me they would call me. Needless to say Gander mountain received the proceed call the next morning. Seems someone dropped the ball and didn't call me. after 3 days I called and asked since they was no deny Are they going to sell the gun. That is when I found out I was approved. By the way I have a CCW permit also.

Dimis
March 3, 2010, 11:01 PM
remember in alot of places thats three business days as well
i was delayed on a handgun once
the check was run through on a thursday and i got delayed i was told if i didnt hear anything after tuesday they would sell it to me
i was confused because tuesday was 5 days away so i asked
the clerk was more than helpful and informed me that i must wait 3 full business days (mon-fri) before they could legaly turn the firearm over to me and that wed morning i could pick it up if it came to that (which it did in fact)
i also asked why wed and not tuesday afternoon and he stated it was store polocy to wait the extra time just in case
that way there would be absolutly no way of saying they sold it prior to the full amount of wait time

TCOV
March 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
I have never figured out why a buyer wouldn't put their social security number on the 4473 form. Every employer I've ever had has my ssn, every bank I deal with has my ssn, the medical people I deal with have my ssn, probably a couple places I don't know about have my ssn, why wouldn't I give it to a federal agency which is where I got it from? You will probably get your firearm after 3 days but know that if a dealer does not get a call back it is their choice to proceed with the sale. Most of the buys I have made lately from an ffl they made the call before taking the money. Saves messing up their till if there is a problem I guess.

Elvishead
March 4, 2010, 02:07 AM
Your in Clark County? No wonder! I hope you don't owe back child support.

mcdonl
March 4, 2010, 06:02 AM
Rebel Red - It could even be simpler than that. I have been told that if the NICS center is experiencing a high call volume, and checks take more then a couple of minutes they delay them and queue them up.

This was explained to me once when I had a delay and could not think of why as I have made several purchases.

TexasBill
March 4, 2010, 09:08 AM
And to think Harry Reed is pro-gun. Go figure.

Harry Reid is pro-gun but he has nothing to do with state laws. It's some clowns at the county level that have screwed up Nevada's gun laws.

djardine
March 4, 2010, 09:20 AM
Rebel Red- someone posted "the "3-day delay" is probably just a 3 day waiting period (by law)" but that is not true in Nevada. I was born in Nevada and lived there for 25 years and I have bought several guns including shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I am guessing you got flagged because your name was similiar to someone else's.

boatme99
March 4, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hey LeontheProffessional.Are you Clarence Bartholemew Lipchitz?Only kidding

He can't be. That's me!
I am thinking of changeing it though. I can't stand the name. I'm thinking of
Fredrick Bartholemew Lipchitz!

Back on thread though, I'm like LeonthePro. My name is pretty unusual too. I've never had to wait, but I'm still always nervous it'll happen at a store where I'm not known.

ironduke
March 4, 2010, 09:28 AM
This is all so strange to me. When I want to buy a handgun, I go to my local police station during lunch (In Michigan), and request a permit. After work, I go to the store and buy what I want. And when my CCW licence arrives, I won't even need a permit.

Some of these govt people are acting like they are doing us a favor.

mcdonl
March 4, 2010, 09:35 AM
This is all so strange to me.

I cannot believe the guy who just said this ^^^^^^^

Said THIS! When I want to buy a handgun, I go to my local police station

Now THAT seems strange ^^^^^ :)

RebelRed
March 4, 2010, 12:28 PM
Rebel Red- someone posted "the "3-day delay" is probably just a 3 day waiting period (by law)" but that is not true in Nevada. I was born in Nevada and lived there for 25 years and I have bought several guns including shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I am guessing you got flagged because your name was similiar to someone else's.

Yeah, it is a fairly common name as I found out years ago. Even some with my name are shopping at the Best Buy I usually go to. :)

ElivsHead, no I don't owe child support. LOL. I remember when I was younger, I worked with a guy who did and he was doing anything he had to for the money he owed (beats jail).

I'm betting I'll get delayed every time. :)

RebelRed
March 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Called the store for the heck of it. Was told the gun is sitting there for me and they have until 5pm today to contact the store. Guess it's still in delay mode OR the store was never contacted back.

Manager said they would call back today (store is open until 9pm I think).

tick tock

RebelRed
March 4, 2010, 06:38 PM
Happy ending to this saga.

I got "proceed". Thanks to all the posters here who helped me understand the system better. Now I know that my common name will probably mean a delay, but that's ok.

Next venture is to buy off the Internet for first time. :)

mljdeckard
March 4, 2010, 06:54 PM
My name is pretty much as common as you can imagine. I use my carry permit here to forego the normal check.

I heard on a radio call-in show, a guy who had problems every single time, because he had an identical twin with the same First, Last, and middle initial, born on the same day, who had been convicted of a felony. He had to pile up his purchases to limit the number of times he had to go through the ringer.

NavyLCDR
March 4, 2010, 07:38 PM
I heard on a radio call-in show, a guy who had problems every single time, because he had an identical twin with the same First, Last, and middle initial, born on the same day, who had been convicted of a felony. He had to pile up his purchases to limit the number of times he had to go through the ringer.

Or he could just get a PIN number from NICS.

Onward Allusion
March 4, 2010, 09:07 PM
...deleted...

flrfh213
March 5, 2010, 12:45 AM
let me tell ya about the system..... first off i have a florida cwfl and that in itself should waive the 3 day wait for a hand gun. ok here is where my temp rises, i go into a local gun store, mind you i am carrieing a loaded 357 revolver, i want a new holster for it and to buy a new pistol... i pick an air weight 38, pay for it and do all the paperwork. show my dl and cwfl to the clerk, he calls for the backround check and was told i had to wait 3 days to get my new revolver. i still cant get a good answer why but i did get it 3 days later. so all i know is the system had a screw out somewhere... but i have had no problems before or after that day so go get your new gun in 3 days and enjoy...

Dimis
March 5, 2010, 04:16 AM
red there is one other alternative to the always get delayed routine
contact the ATF and get a UPIN unique personal identification number
that will allow transfers and checks to come back ALOT quicker at least thats my understanding

woad_yurt
March 5, 2010, 06:41 AM
In the future, if you get a "delayed" response, just wait out the 72 hours. If they do not approve or reject you within the three days, it automatically becomes an approval on the Federal side. It then is up to the discretion of the FFL whether or not he/she will sell you the gun.

Below is a quote from http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm:

“If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:

. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS."

I got a delay once and just waited it out. When I went back after the 3 days, they sold me the gun without further ado. The FFL told me that it's best not to raise a fuss and attract undue scrutiny ("scrutiny" = time wasted,) to just wait and all will usually go well. Now, if you have an FFL who's cranky and still won't cough up the gun after 3 days with no NICS follow-up response (they can do that,) you may want to consider using another FFL the next time.

mcdonl
March 5, 2010, 06:48 AM
Next venture is to buy off the Internet for first time.

The irony is beautiful - Using Al Gores "Invention" to buy a gun :)

Good luck with your purchase. If it is a firearm, have you made rearrangements with your local FFL to make sure they are on file with the online dealer, and visa versa....?

This is a good thing to look into... around here dealers charge anywhere between $10 and $50 (Yup... FIVE ZERO) for transfers.

Welcome to the addictive world of firearms and firearm accessories!!

CajunBass
March 5, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've probably got the third most common name in the United States. It's right up there with John Smith, and Bob Jones. I always put my SS number on the form. I have never been convicted, accused, arrested, or detained for anything but one speeding ticket in my life. I have a concealed handgun permit, and a C&R license.

I am ALWAYS delayed. I have never gotten an immediate "proceed." The delays range anywhere from a low of fifteen minutes to so long I just went home and came back a couple of days later. I actually plan on going home most of the time and am always surprised when I get a "proceed" in less than an hour.

My wife on the other hand can fill out the papers right beside me, and get a "proceed" in five minutes. Something she delights in ribbing me about.

wishin
March 5, 2010, 09:45 AM
I've probably got the third most common name in the United States. It's right up there with John Smith, and Bob Jones.

Johnny Johnson, brother?:D

budiceman
March 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
I dont know? The name Mohammad Mohammad is getting to pretty popular here!

CajunBass
March 5, 2010, 11:14 AM
Johnny Johnson, brother?

:D You're close. VERY close. Everybody called my dad "Johnny."

I dont know? The name Mohammad Mohammad is getting to pretty popular here!

My stepdaughter is married to a Arab/American. They have a son named Mohammad. I told my wife while we were waiting for approval the last time, "If I had Mo's name, this would sail right on through." ;)

RebelRed
March 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
The irony is beautiful - Using Al Gores "Invention" to buy a gun

Good luck with your purchase. If it is a firearm, have you made rearrangements with your local FFL to make sure they are on file with the online dealer, and visa versa....?

This is a good thing to look into... around here dealers charge anywhere between $10 and $50 (Yup... FIVE ZERO) for transfers.

Welcome to the addictive world of firearms and firearm accessories!!

Yeah, I see I need to find a FFL first and all that. Found some that charge $20-$25. I don't know if it matters who you use. Are they all the same?

I may go through the process for the unique ID number. We'll see what happens with my next few purchases.

BP Hunter
March 6, 2010, 02:01 PM
RebelRed,

I assume this won't be your last purchase. Usually one delay will lead to more delays when your name pops up again at the NICS check. My initial check was denied. I then appealed and was successful to proceed. Then the next 3 purchases were all delayed till the next day. I got tired of the waits and delays and applied for the UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number), through the Voluntary Appeal. I receivced my UPIN after less than 2 weeks and have used it on every purcahse since - 14 guns later:D - and always walked out of the store with the new toys.

Jonah71
March 7, 2010, 09:33 AM
red there is one other alternative to the always get delayed routine
contact the ATF and get a UPIN unique personal identification number
that will allow transfers and checks to come back ALOT quicker at least thats my understanding
This is what my gun shop owner suggested that I do. I told him, "It's not neccessary now, I have all the guns I need." For some reason he just laughed and shook his head. I don't get it??

Neverwinter
March 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
This is what my gun shop owner suggested that I do. I told him, "It's not neccessary now, I have all the guns I need." For some reason he just laughed and shook his head. I don't get it??
I think he probably hears that a lot from people who wind up being returning customers.

Jonah71
March 9, 2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe so....I've been telling him that for about 6 guns now. And I got to thinking about that CZ 75B again. Maybe just one more wouldn't hurt.

RebelRed
March 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have two guns I'm looking to buy this year. We'll see. One for sure. I want a Ruger 10/22 to upgrade and shoot with since plinking is super cheap.

So one might turn into three. :)

Armchair Bronco
March 9, 2010, 09:00 PM
Every time I buy a gun, I have to wait for 5 days. Not sure why I show up on the radar -- in the early 1990's, I lived in Eastern Europe (East Germany & Hungary) and my wife is a Hungarian national. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Or maybe I have a flag simply because I was out of the country and *off the radar* for 3+ years. :confused:

Who knows? Who cares! I patiently wait my 5 days and then the FFL agent hands over the gun. The only time I didn't have to wait was when the CMP sent me my Korean M1 Garand.

RebelRed
March 10, 2010, 01:39 AM
Hey, a 5-day wait sure beats not getting your gun at all.

M1 Garand. Now there's a gun I'd like to have.

ArfinGreebly
March 10, 2010, 03:30 AM
1) $25 for the background check is correct in Nevada
Roger that.

2) No wait on long guns
And no problem buying as a neighboring state resident.

Must be a local thing. My first pistol was purchased in Reno. NICS check was a little under five minutes, and I walked out with my new hardware.

4) Even if you have a CCW, you still do the background check.
When did they start doing that?? Or is it another one of those "local" things?

In Reno, Carson City, and surrounding area, a CCW gets you out the door before the ink dries on the 4473; in fact, CCW is the only way you can complete a purchase after 6:00 pm at places like Sportsman's Warehouse. Their gun counter is open all the way up to closing time (8:00 pm), and if you have the magic ticket, you get to habeas corpus on your new toy.

Come to think of it, Clark County still has that obscene "blue card" requirement for handguns.

You Vegas guys need to get that stinkin' requirement lifted. The rest of the state doesn't have it, and now, with state preemption, never will. The compromise they had to make to get that preemption bill through was allowing Clark County to keep their registry (grandfathered) while securing the whole of the state, outside that jurisdiction, from any kind of registration.

RebelRed
March 10, 2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, outside of Clark County a lot of things change (prostitution becoming legal comes to mind). I believe the 3-day wait on first handgun is a Clark thing and not for all of Nevada.

You can be to Pahrump, which is in NYE county, in about 30 min from here. If I remember right, in NYE you don't need to register anything. In Clark, it's handguns.

Of course, when you come home you still have to register your handgun for the Blue card I believe. So, it's rather pointless.

DasFriek
March 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
I need to get one of those personal ID numbers you can apply for so it makes it faster and easier with the 4473 forms.
After a 20 year absence from gun ownership i started to get back into them last spring, My first purchase was delayed. It ended with a "No Response" 3 days later and i bought the gun. After that time i bought about 8 more guns averaging about 1 gun a month and then on the ninth purchase about a month ago i got "Delayed" for no obvious reason.
That was cleared up quickly and ive also bought 2 more guns since with no issue.

I feel its up to the mood of the person as the NICS to make a decision and on a bad day could make my life a pain and make me wait. It also can be a sloppy salesman who calls in the form and doesn't give the info correctly and this trips a delay due to a conflict of info.

Anyhow, A delay on a first purchase is no big deal and happens alot from what ive seen. Ive also seen and had it happen to me to be randomly delayed. I was even more upset due to the fact i have a CHL but that doesn't forgo the NICS checks in Ohio.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to buy my first gun today and . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!