new to reloading

PDA

ewd
March 2, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have decided to take the leap and start reloading. I have done some light reading and realized I need help before I start spending money in the wrong direction. I am tired of running to the store every weekend my son and I shoot to buy ammo. I am willing to spend money to get set up proper. I intend to load multiple rounds in various amounts.
45acp,357 mag, 5.56, 308/7.62 and 12 gauge in stockpile quantities for regular shooting . 7 rem mag in hunting quantities I have a little time to research before returning from overseas and would like to gather as much knowledge as I can.
Who makes the best equipment and what do I need? Where are the best sources to learn the craft.
Thanks,
EWD

If you enjoyed reading about "new to reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
March 2, 2010, 02:10 AM
First, read the sticky at the top of the Handloading and Reloading page.

Sticky: For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST

Soak up all you can. We'll certainly help you out, but it's hard to repeat the same answer three or four times each week.

parker51
March 2, 2010, 02:14 AM
If I was to do it over...... I would first go to Auction Arms, E-bay, or one of the companies that sells RCBS and buy a Rock Chucker press (they also have a Rock Chucker kit that has most of the basics minus the dies). When I started I bought a Dillon 550 and even though it is a dandy piece of reloading equipment I found it too complicated just starting out. I've been reloading for about 15 years now and 90 percent of the time I use the Rock Chuckers (I now have 3 of them) and the Dillon only gets used for handgun rounds. Next check the For Sale board on this site for die sets in the calibers you plan to load. In the last month I have picked up 4 sets that were hardly used for $20 to $40. Since your not in a hurry I would recommend you save some money cause it can get expensive reloading as many calibers that you have planned. I now reload for 7 handgun and 11 rifle calibers so saving $20 to $50 off a set of dies adds up quickly (leaves more money for powder, bullets and range fees). Most important is get a couple good reloading books and use the "search" function on this site. There is a wealth of information buried in the archives of this site and the folks here are very helpful and friendly.

chris in va
March 2, 2010, 03:24 AM
As I said in the other forum, just start with 45ACP as I really think it's the easiest to load out of all you listed. Get a couple thousand loaded with that, move to another caliber.

Reloading won't save you money in the traditional sense. It just lets you shoot more for the same amount, once you recoup your equipment costs. Don't feel you have to rush out and buy all this expensive stuff right away...all my equipment costs $120 total. My brass cleaning regimen consists of a bucket, hot water, vinegar, salt and about 3 minutes of agitation. Not pretty but they're clean.

lykoris
March 2, 2010, 09:40 AM
if you want to have help you need to be more specific and give details on the following

your budget - without this it's impossible to give proper advice and it should not include funds toward components (brass(perhaps you've saved yours?), primers, powder, bullets)

'regular shooting' needs to be quantified, you shoot 200 rounds a week? roughly how much per month per calibre.

Will time be a factor? You can easily put out 400 rounds on a nice progressive set-up per hour.

In my opinion you need to address all three of these points if you really good advice that is suitable to your circumstances. On point 3 some people will disagree but for others like me time is a significant factor.

MichaelK
March 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
If you really want to save money, you can get Lee's reloading kit, that's just 82$ on sale at Midway right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#423-081____-_1-2-4_8-16

If you're more a "remember the quality after the price is forgotten" kind of guy, I'd go with the RCBS kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599

For your pistol calibers, definately get carbide die sets. The time you save not lubing/de-greasing cases is immeasurable. Lee sets are generally OK.

If you want to read up more imformation on reloading, definately get copies of "ABC's of Reloading". I think the best editions were with the former writer Dean Grennell, but he has since passed away. The authors of the newer editions seem to be just a nock lower than Grennell, but still have lots of good information.

parker51
March 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
Here's a link to a good starting guide to reloading. It includes a list of tools and supplies needed to begin.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/images/stories/PDFfiles/ammo_reloading_guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

jfh
March 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
Tell us about your expected time / volume needs. From what you've said so far, it sounds like you may have limited time to load--i.e., when you are home--but we need some sort of indication, perhaps in monthly averages for a given caliber (not including the hunting needs) to sort out a good choice of gear.

Here's some observations:

1. Yes, one always wants / needs a single stage press. BUT, the Lee Turrets (there are two models; the better one is the Classic Cast) is an excellent way to get a single stage press that is 'convertible' to faster production, with reasonable cost.

2. Reloaders who are oriented to end goals (product)--and it sounds like you are--are usually quite happy with Dillon Products. They're expensive, but they do work well and are backed with a lifetime warranty.

3. Regardless of your inclination to get some ammo loaded to shoot, I would NOT recommend starting with a progressive. (and yes, guys, I know some of you did it, with no consequences--I still don't think it's a good idea. There's just too much going on at once for new reloaders, not to mention one working with another 'pupil'.)

So, tell us more about the volume / whatever.

Jim H.

chagasrod
March 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
I would recommend a Single Stage Press to start, gain experience and then buy a progressive.
I Love my RCBS Rock Chucker!!

If you enjoyed reading about "new to reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!