45 ACP dies

PDA

chris in va
March 2, 2010, 04:28 AM
Is the FCD really necessary for the 45? I've used it in my 9mm with mixed results, but it definitely makes the reloaded ammo reliable with feeding. Midway has the 3 die set for $25.

This will be for my older Sig 220, possibly a carbine later on.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 ACP dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Randy1911
March 2, 2010, 04:53 AM
I don't use the FCD with my 45's and have no feeding problems.

sourdough44
March 2, 2010, 08:04 AM
Same as Randy here.

Quoheleth
March 2, 2010, 08:17 AM
I use it with no problems. I shoot .45 in my Rock Island 1911 and Springer Loaded 1911.

If you want it, "just in case," Midway has the 4-die set on sale this month about $3 or 4 off regular price.

Q

Walkalong
March 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't use the FCD with my 45's and have no feeding problemsMe either.

TonyAngel
March 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
I like the FCD just because they are so easy to adjust, not so much because of the full length sizing. I think that if you need to use the FCD to get your ammo to reliably feed, it's just curing a symptom of another problem. I had the FCD in .45 and quite using it. Things are much smoother using a Hornady taper crimp die.

The only caliber I'm still using the FCD for is .38/.357 because I don't have a standard load and the loads I do use required differing amounts of crimp.

rcmodel
March 2, 2010, 03:10 PM
Reloaded my first .45 ACP in 1962 using Herters dies.
Bought my RCBS carbide dies in 1970 and I am still using them.

Still have never seen a need for a Lee FCD in handgun calibers yet.

I do use the Lee FCD collet crimp die in rifle calibers for lever-actions.

Bottom line is, your standard .45 ACP seater die does a perfect taper crimp and returns the case to factory dimensions.
(if you adjust it right & tighten the lock-ring set screw when you buy the die set.)

What more do you need it to do?

rc

ranger335v
March 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
"Is the (Lee) FCD really necessary for the 45? "

Certainly not. We were reloading long before Lee made anything at all.

running iron
March 4, 2010, 05:27 PM
Saying you don't need a Lee FCD is right, and so is saying you don't need a bullet puller. The FCD is good for fixing mistakes, just like a bullet puller. Of course you don't need one, but it's a great tool to have. IMO, you can never have too many tools. If you put a bullet in crooked of have crummy brass, the FCD will iron out the round. It is by far not a solution, just a fast fix. Like using a dillon case gauge that shows min. specs as opposed to a wilson gauge that shows max. specs. You don't need either one and can get all messed up using the dillon. But they have their place in a re-loaders tool chest. Just like any thing, it all depends on your outlook. I've seen lots of guys get by with a crescent wrench, hammer and vise grips.

Walkalong
March 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
I don't own a bullet puller either. I just use pliers to pull one if I need to. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "45 ACP dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!