Are single stack magazine designs more reliable, on average, than double stack??

PDA

saturno_v
March 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
This is what some people think...

What is your take??

Regards

If you enjoyed reading about "Are single stack magazine designs more reliable, on average, than double stack??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
March 2, 2010, 02:52 PM
Seems like both work fine to me.

rcmodel
March 2, 2010, 03:35 PM
No.

Single stack mags can be just as good, or just as bad as double stack.

In fact , many older single-stack designs are much more susceptible to feed lip damage and/or lip spreading apart then those found on modern double stack mag designs.

The double stack to single feed lips are sort of braced by the inward taper of the magazine at the top.

rc

ForumSurfer
March 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cheap, no name (and some big name) design mags suck...period.

My single stack wilson combat mags rock and have never experienced a failure. My factory Kimber mags and some cheap, no name, blued Colt knock mags jammed reliably.

Any factory double stack mags I've used worked reliably (Glock, Beretta, Para). Some cheap, Beretta knockoffs jammed at least once every mag.

The double stack to single feed lips are sort of braced by the inward taper of the magazine at the top.

I'll second that statement. But in no way does that make single stack inferior. A quality (Colt, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat) single stack gets it done just fine with no hiccups.

nitetrane98
March 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
Not likely. As a remedy for just about anything that ails a 1911 type, somebody will suggest replacing the magazine. I'd venture that the single stacks are possibly worse than the double stacks. The seeming simplicity of the single stack over the double does not appear to translate into the expected advantage in reliability.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 05:07 PM
NOPE!

Anything mechanical is subject to failure sooner or later. That's why God and Browning made gunsmiths.

ForumSurfer
March 2, 2010, 05:21 PM
As a remedy for just about anything that ails a 1911 type, somebody will suggest replacing the magazine

I think (single stacks) they are more finicky. Not so much that I avoid single stacks, as I have several single stack pistols. You have to find a brand that works. I'm trying not sounding like a commercial, but Wilson Combats have worked in all of my 1911's. I once bought a brand new Kimber Pro CDP II (which is now my carry piece). I was, and still am bummed about buying something over $600 that necessitated me throwing away the stock mags. I started to sell them online, but to be honest I couldn't do it in good conscious. They jammed with any ammo I used. I have a good friend with the full sized version of my Kimber, and he experienced the same issue at the range. Loaned him some of my WC mags and it worked flawlessly. Still, I like my Kimber so much that I have bough other Kimber models.

Contrary to popular forum beliefs, no Kimber has ever exploded in my hands nor suffered relentless jamming (more than 2500 through the pro cdpII).:neener:

Zerodefect
March 2, 2010, 06:47 PM
1911's have a geometry defect in their mags that causes the top round in a loaded mag to not have solid contact with the round below it.

If you look at a fully loaded 1911 mag you can see that the nose of the round is not touching the round below it. It isn't parrellel. This can cause the round to nosedive when the slide trys to push the round out of the mag. Can cause increased jamming. The closer to empty you get the better it gets.

Tripp cobra mags try to get the top round as high as they cn to combat this. Wilson mags are OK to.

Being that 1911's are the most popular single stack, it would seem that double stacks are more reliable. But they are not. Good single stack mags in properly desighned weapons are as reliable as double stacked. My Ruger p95 mags aren't all that reliable, but my Glocks are.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
My Walthers is a single stack and has been since 1908 and they are far less troublesome than the rest of the designs. I also disagree that the 1911 is the most popular single stack. That honor goes to Soviet Makarov.

REAPER4206969
March 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
My Walthers is a single stack and has been since 1908 and they are far less troublesome than the rest of the designs.
What model?

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 07:09 PM
PPK, PPL PP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PP

Yo Mama
March 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
1911's have a geometry defect in their mags that causes the top round in a loaded mag to not have solid contact with the round below it.

Uhhh? No. There is no defect, it was designed to be such. Many double stack mags also have this. It's not a problem whatsoever.

REAPER4206969
March 2, 2010, 07:24 PM
PPK, PPL PP
Nice. I thought you meant it was made in 1908...

PigButtons
March 2, 2010, 11:31 PM
I also disagree that the 1911 is the most popular single stack. That honor goes to Soviet Makarov.

I think the poster was speaking about popular in the USA not moscow.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 11:43 PM
I am talking about the USA. The 9x18 Makarov is a highly regarded and a formidable USA CCW. The Hungarian Mak, Cz-82 and the Polish P64 are in very high demand. There were more of these made over the last 40 years than any other pistol.

The best part is there can be had for under $200.00 and are military grade pistols with chrome lined bores and completely reliable, no break in required, built like tanks and will out live you shooting steel cased ammo that can be had for $12.00 a box of 50. You have no idea what you are missing out on. Check out the Cz 82 thread and look at the pictures of them

The Lone Haranguer
March 3, 2010, 01:23 AM
I know of nothing inherent to the respective designs that would make one more reliable than the other. Both can work fine for decades, or fail, or sometimes even never work in the first place.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 3, 2010, 04:18 AM
I've had more problems with single stack than double stack over the years--but even then the single stack wasn't all that bad---make sence?

oasis618
March 3, 2010, 04:55 AM
Coke or Pepsi?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are single stack magazine designs more reliable, on average, than double stack??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!