Ruger LCR troubles

PDA

WarMachine
March 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
I've searched around briefly, and didn't notice anyone else with this problem.

Today at the range, I noticed there was some resistance when I attempted to swing the cylinder close. Upon further inspection, I saw the tip of the firing pin protruding. To get it to return I have to lightly squeeze the trigger. From there, the pin will recess back into the firearm.

Now, the gun will fire fine as long as the pin is back initially so I can swing the cylinder close. Be obviously, I run into the issue again when the next load of rounds go in.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I wish these things had a macro.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR troubles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
March 2, 2010, 09:10 PM
It sounds like a problem with the transfer bar safety not dropping down when the trigger returns forward. When you wiggle the trigger it drops like it should and the firing pin can retract. A local 'smith might be able to fix it, but I'd recommend you call Ruger and return the gun to them. They'll pay the bill, including shipping and it will be fixed right. If a new part is needed they'll have them.

Lord Samwise
March 3, 2010, 01:18 AM
That is EXACTLY what my gun started doing right before the trigger locked up... search around and find my post about it. I would say you will need to send your gun in to Ruger...

Quoheleth
March 3, 2010, 02:08 PM
Email the pic to Ruger and see what they say.

Q

Blue Brick
March 3, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ever since the old man died, every new gun from Ruger is been recalled.

Girodin
March 3, 2010, 08:00 PM
Ever since the old man died, every new gun from Ruger is been recalled.

That is factually incorrect (presuming that "the old man" = Bill Ruger).

WarMachine
March 3, 2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'm going to give Ruger a call. I understand any mechanical object can fail, but I suppose my confidence has been shaking here somewhat. Especially with Ruger's misfortune with some of their latest products. I barely have any rounds through the thing.

I'm just happy I didn't have to use this thing in a defensive situation (especially in the event that I need to actually reload).

But such is life, I suppose.

Quoheleth
March 3, 2010, 10:18 PM
In the category of "for what it's worth," I have several hundred rounds through mine, of varying velocity & pressure, with no mechanical problems.

I'm quite pleased with it in every aspect.

Q

pezo
March 4, 2010, 12:00 AM
This gun is on my short list. Minus the mech. defects.

Blue Brick
March 4, 2010, 12:32 AM
Let’s see....P345, SR9, LCP, 327 SP101, shall I continue……. not to mention many little cosmetic and mechanical quality control issues. By the way I AM A RUGER FAN.

Blue Brick
March 4, 2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=77570

Girodin
March 4, 2010, 01:34 AM
Let’s see....P345, SR9, LCP, 327 SP101, shall I continue……. not to mention many little cosmetic and mechanical quality control issues. By the way I AM A RUGER FAN.

Yes you should. You said EVERY. That is not factually correct. What do you take the word "every" to mean? Let's be clear if there is one firearm that has been released since July 6, of 2002 and not been recalled then your assertion of every is patently false, which it of course is.

BTW I am indifferent to Ruger I just think people ought not post false info as if it were fact.

DPris
March 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
4500 through a sample here, still running fine.
Denis

Blue Brick
March 4, 2010, 05:34 PM
What facts do you have? Why don’t you name all the “new’ designed firearms that have been in full production after 2002 that have not needed a design change?

Girodin
March 4, 2010, 09:19 PM
Well if you want to shift the burden of proof that is okay. Like I said I need name only one firearm model released since July 6, 2002 that has not been recalled.

How about the LCR for one, the SR-556 for another or the charger is another.

Cosmoline
March 4, 2010, 09:24 PM
I like the radical design, but some troubles are almost inevitable with something this unusual. I'm waiting for the refits before I get mine.

Girodin
March 4, 2010, 09:36 PM
Further more if we really want to be forthright and honest then lets mention what the recalls were about for the LCP and SR9 recalls were about each was to add an additional safety feature to make the gun more drop safe. Neither had function or reliability problems. Basically it was a recall on par with the recall of older Black hawks, singles sixes, and bear cats.

Blue Brick
March 4, 2010, 10:26 PM
How about the LCR for one, the SR-556 for another or the charger is another.

Ok, The LCR already has reports of firing pin problems and is on its way to being recalled, the SR556 is still very new with a high price tag (less that a year in production) so give it sometime, the charger is not a new design-it is a 10\22 with short barrel and pistol grip. Next......

Girodin
March 5, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ok, The LCR already has reports of firing pin problems and is on its way to being recalled

[Removed personal comments directed at others -- Sam] Do you really think a couple or even a dozen reports on the internet are any kind of meaningful data or sample? Are you serious? What evidence can you offer that this is a problem in any kind of significant number? A single swallow doesn't make a summer and a few online reports of a problem don't make a widespread problem. I had a 10/22 that wouldn't work out of the box and I have read a few other similar reports I guess the 10/22 is on its way to being recalled too?

The LCR is on its way to being recalled, really? What evidence do you have of that?

Even if the LCR and SR556 and any others were eventually recalled (which there is of course no indication what so ever that they will be) it would not change the fact that what you said was factually incorrect, which is all I pointed out. The charger may be based on a 10/22 action but it is in fact a new gun. You said new gun not new action. Ignoring that fact what you said was still factually incorrect.

The fact is you were wrong with your statement before. It might have been dismissed as a mere hyperbolic overstatement, but your followups have really been laughable.

Girodin
March 6, 2010, 03:48 AM
No info on that forthcoming recall?

holysmoke
March 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
Deleted. Keep it up to High Road standards and pertinent to the topic. -- Sam

V1ROT8
March 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
Goodness.

Bush Pilot
March 6, 2010, 02:09 PM
Can we stay on topic without the insults?

Girodin
March 6, 2010, 05:58 PM
The fact is far too many posters on websites such as this fail to understand the ideas of sample size, selection bias, or even the simple fact that anyone can post any information or disinformation that they like. Several online reports of a problem are far from an indication of a wide spread or common problem.

I still see people bring up online the Five Seven pistols potential for firing out of battery resulting in a kaboom and that it is a dangerous gun. The genesis of this issue was one guy who posted here and on at least one other forum that his Five seven experienced this. People were very quick to believe on his report alone that the Five Seven had a problem. There were people saying they weren't going to buy one because of it. In the end the gentleman finally admitted to fact he blew his gun up with a overcharged (most likely double charged) hand-load.

There is no real evidence that LCRs have any issue. *Surprisingly* none has been offered in this thread. We have two people that reported issues with their LCRs one whose was repaired. Mind you we have no info about how those guns were used or treated. We have someone trying to correlate function problems to the past ruger recalls that had nothing to do with function or durability but rather added additional safeties to guns.

In sum, when you hear a report about a problem with a gun. Think about these issues of sample size and selection bias. Also think about the fact that people are free to report only part of the story or to make up a story (I'm not suggest the OP of this thread has done so). At least be aware of those things before you condemn a product or a company. Lastly, do not think that you can post wholly incorrect information and not be called on it. IF you do and someone takes you to task, you have no right to be upset and your best bet is to use what one lawyer told me is her favorite word in the English language, "misspoke." Example:

A: Ruger has recalled every new gun since Bill died.
B: No it hasn't

A: *uses google to checks facts and discovers he is wrong.* I misspoke Ruger has recalled the following products....

Dale Carnegie's book, How to Win Friends & Influence People might also be helpful for you to consider

Does it have a chapter on not resulting to ad hominem attacks when you have nothing to say concerning the substance of what one has stated?:D

Sam1911
March 6, 2010, 09:03 PM
Less snark, more facts, guys.

If you can't think of a way to say something that makes the other fellow WANT to agree with you, try harder.

Thanks!

DPris
March 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
5000 Black Hills +P JHPs finished up today on this one.
Still chugging right along. The Ruger logo at the top rear of the rubber grip is mostly worn away, but everything still seems to be intact.
Beginning to revise my initial opinion of the LCR, I think it just might work. :)
Denis

Blue Brick
March 6, 2010, 10:07 PM
No info on that forth coming recall?

Grossly insulting personal comment removed -- Sam

Pistols

P345-Firing pin redesign because of the magazine disconnect would cause a “click no boom”- New Design

SR9- Under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position- New Design

LCP- Can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber- New Design

Revolvers

SP101-(327 Federal) Extraction problems-Old Design, but New Ammunition

LCR-Firing pin/cylinder lock up- New Design

Shotgun

New Design since 2002- None

Rifle

SR-556-Less than one year of full production

New Model’s that use an older Design with no reported problems

Super Red Hawk Alaskan- Old Design with shorter barrel

SR-22- Uses standard 10/22 action- Old Design

22 Charger- Uses standard 10/22 action- Old Design

I did not include mechanical updates to older models, example such as the Mini-14’s updated barrel.

Sam1911
March 6, 2010, 10:54 PM
Aaaaallllrighty then. Lets have NO MORE personal insults of any kind or there will be some "time-outs" given. I've had to speak to several members over this thread and that's just dumb.

Facts should speak for themselves. If you have to insult someone in order to make them agree with you ... :rolleyes:.

rswartsell
March 6, 2010, 11:06 PM
Dpris,

Can you measure/see signs of wear, end shake, etc.? Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor.

BTW don't mean to seem nosy but who paid for all that Black Hills +P?

m2steven
March 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
There is an extraction problem of sorts on the sp101 .327 but my problem cleared up after a few boxes of rounds. Initially, some of the rounds, after being fired, were snug in the cylinder, but i never for a moment thought about returning the pistol. And never did I have a huge problem getting the casings out of the cylinder.

Most Ruger issues, other than the one being discussed in this thread, had nothing to do with the functioning of the weapon. Returning a firearm to make it safer is a whole different ballgame than returning one because it just simply does not work.

PLUS - Ruger's support is generally stellar. I'd rather have a company acknowledge a problem and deal with it than to just pretend a problem does not exist and let it's customers suffer with wasted money and useless merchandise.

Blue Brick
March 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
PLUS - Ruger's support is generally stellar. I'd rather have a company acknowledge a problem and deal with it than to just pretend a problem does not exist and let it's customers suffer with wasted money and useless merchandise.

Agreed.

DPris
March 7, 2010, 02:09 AM
R,
I have yet to fire the final accuracy testing with other rounds to repeat the initial accuracy testing to see if there's been any significant degradation.
Once that's done (probably Monday, if the weather holds), then we'll get the measurements to compare with the beginning measurements.
Altogether, by the time the project's finished, it should be about 5300 rounds through the gun.

Black Hills supplied the ammunition.

Denis

Girodin
March 7, 2010, 02:41 AM
1. Forthcoming--coming forth, or about to come forth; about to appear; approaching in time: the forthcoming concert.

Mentioning past recalls on different models does not speak to the issue of a forthcoming recall for the LCR and is not evidence of such.

LCR-Firing pin/cylinder lock up- New Design

Again what evidence (evidence being defined as that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof) can you offer to show that this is anything more than a very isolated problem.

Blue Brick
March 7, 2010, 02:54 AM
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=58900&highlight=lcr

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=67670&highlight=lcr

Just a few I found.

cpallenjr
March 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
Those are both very old incidents (June, July and Nov 2009). Have you heard of anything more recent? I am on the verge of 'pulling the trigger' on buying one. I think the polymer feels funny - but different isn't necessarily bad. I also think the trigger feels different - the one I shot has a definite hitch indicating where the hammer is on the verge of tripping over.

Blue Brick
March 7, 2010, 02:41 PM
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 pm Post subject: LCR Just Broke-Bummer

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=77570&sid=f3db04fef95ab090613d2b12260edc0f

DPris
March 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Final accuracy testing done today, using the same five loads tested for 15-yard groups before the 5000-round endurance run.
With all five, accuracy has improved, gun is still running fine.
Will try for measurements tomorrow.
Denis

Bush Pilot
March 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
I haven't kept track of the number of rounds fired through my LCR, many thousands by now. The gun is as tight as the day it was purchased. Even if there is a recall down the road I'm not terribly worried, Ruger always makes things right.

rswartsell
March 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
Dpris,

It seems that you are doing some fine work here. Valuable to ME at least in arriving at informed opinion. Would you mind sharing where your finished work can be read?

DPris
March 8, 2010, 11:07 PM
R,
It'll be for one of the Harris Publication mags, dunno which one, rarely do until I get an advance layout to proof.
Combat Handguns or Guns & Weapons For Law Enforcement would be the best bets.

Been very interesting. :)
Also helped me make up my own mind.

Denis

cpallenjr
March 8, 2010, 11:17 PM
Dpris, you sold me. I bought a LCR with the CT grips this morning.

DMZ
March 8, 2010, 11:46 PM
My LCR was one of the first 7,000 made, and while I have only put about 1/10th the rounds through it that DPris has through his, I can report the following:

- The finish at the top of the crane has discolored somewhat

- The alloy frame has taken on purplish hue, when observed under bright light

Other than that, I love the grips, the grip angle, the sights and the trigger. :D

rswartsell
March 9, 2010, 12:07 AM
DPris,

Cautious about thread hijack here, but what did you think of the Black Hills +P load? I recently acquired some of their .45 acp JHP for HD and as yet have shot very little of it.

P.S. Thanks DMZ, good to know.

DPris
March 9, 2010, 02:43 AM
R,
Black Hills is consistently good stuff, which is why I used it here, and I have no problem whatever recommending it.
The .38 +P got the smallest five-shot group of anything fired today.
Denis

DPris
March 9, 2010, 07:56 PM
To finish up: Trigger pull reduced by a pound, barrel/cylinder gap increased slightly but still well within acceptable tolerances, detectable minor frame stretching, forcing cone still gauges OK.
It is not a high-mileage IPSC gun, but if you understand what it is & match your expectations accordingly, it's do-able.

War, they ain't all bad. :)

Denis

WarMachine
April 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
###UPDATE###

A quick update for anyone that cares...

Well, I am FINALLY getting this thing back from Ruger. I must say, it's taken longer than I expected. They sent a UPS truck out to my house on March 9th for a pickup. I am home sick today, so I've been at the house. Heard the doorbell and it was the UPS guy. I figured they would have contacted me through email or something when they shipped it back so I would know. Otherwise, I'd be playing tag with the UPS guy all week, as they never deliver the when I'm home due my schedule.

Anyway, here's a list of items on the repair sheet:

TRIGGER - REPLACED
TRANSFER BAR - REPLACED
FIRING PIN - REPLACED
INTERNAL COMPONENTS - REPLACED

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR troubles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!