Colt Gold Cup

PDA

archigos
March 2, 2010, 10:11 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never looked much into 1911s because quite simply, they're mostly out of my price range. I just found a Colt Gold Cup National Match [used] in "very good" condition at Dan's Ammo for $849.99. As far as 1911s go, how well regarded are the Colt Gold Cups? Should I be rushing to buy one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Gold Cup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kentucky_smith
March 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
I've had a late 70s 70 series and a 2009 s80. Meh. Both had flaws. Didn't care for either. Price is right for a new one.

skipsan
March 2, 2010, 11:12 PM
Series 70 and to some extent Series 80 Gold Cup NMs have a following that are willing to put up with some of their quirks. Pre Series 70s (1960s and prior) are genuine collectables in most cases and should be treated as such.

A nice Series 70 GC without box or paperwork should be in the $800-->$900 range. Less, maybe much less, if modified or a beater. NIB examples, unfired with box and paperwork have sold upwards of $1500. I don't follow the 80 Series GCs but suspect their values would be about 10% less.

An older GC is probably not the best choice for a carry gun or every day shooter. They're considered (by me at least) as semi collectable, although I shoot mine regularly. Don't know a thing about the current generation GCs (Trophy Models etc) but assume they're nice generic pieces worthy of the Colt logo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Gold Cup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!