typical trigger pull on a S&W 340 CT?

PDA

andrawsslc
March 3, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm considering a S&W 340 CT for my wife but i'm concerned about how tough the trigger pull is. I have a Taurus 627 Tracker and the pull on it is over 14lbs on double action, way too tough. Anyone have any experience with this revolver?

If you enjoyed reading about "typical trigger pull on a S&W 340 CT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jfh
March 3, 2010, 07:27 PM
1. I am a bit confused about what you are saying: Is the Taurus Tracker's trigger pull over 14 lbs? Is the 340s trigger pull over 14 lbs? Does the 340 trigger pull feel harder that the Tracker?

2. Regardless of the comparison for trigger pull--compare the weight of the two revolvers. My guess (until I hear from you) is that you are 'accustomed' to holding the 627 with a certain amount of grip / tension in your hand. Since the Tracker weighs about three times as much as the S&W 340 CT, gripping it with the same amount of tension results in more bobble and, probably, more apparent weight on the trigger pull.

That apparent increase will particularly be true if you have been shooting more in SA than in DA.

That's not to say the trigger pull is not 'high'--DAO carry guns tend to have higher rate pulls. You can bring them down a bit with polishing, but no reputable 'smith (or knowledgeable owner) will replace springs or go beyond polishing the action to make it smoother. You can do the same polishing, it appears, with a fair amount of dryfire.

Beyond that, it's practice, practice, practice. In a lightweight, it's practice, practice, and practice some more--first, perhaps, with 38 Special 148-gr DEWC target loads, or 38 softball reloads, and work your way up to the carry load.

Using a hand conditioner--the finger-push and the squeezer type--helps, too.

Jim H.

andrawsslc
March 4, 2010, 02:28 AM
I wasn't clear. I have a Taurus which has a double action pull of about 14lbs. It's alot if you're trying to place shots accurately. I haven't fired the S&W 340 CT yet & I was trying to find what the trigger pull was on this revolver. I can't find it on S&W's site. Thanks for the advice on dry firing.

jfh
March 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying, andrawssic.

The typical pull on a 340 is "over ten lbs." When I got my M&P 340, my 'smith smoothed the action for me--but it was still over ten lbs, and it still felt notchy. After some dry-firing and 2000 rounds, it is still about ten lbs and smoother.

If you scan through the M&P 340 thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173&highlight=M%26P+340

you'll find some comments on it...

Jim H.

andrawsslc
March 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
Great thread! I appreciate your help. I went into Gallenson's yesterday and tried one for myself & I was impressed. The pull is definitely better than my Taurus. Thanks Jim.

If you enjoyed reading about "typical trigger pull on a S&W 340 CT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!