.40 cal CCW?

PDA

TheProf
March 3, 2010, 06:29 AM
Can you name the top three .40 caliber CCW? (Must be very easy to conceal IWB and must be super reliable.)

Thanks! (I'm switching to .40 caliber, instead of my puny .380)

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 cal CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
harmon rabb
March 3, 2010, 07:31 AM
glock 27, springfield xd 40 subcompact, m&p compact.

of those, i think the glock 27 is the easiest to conceal because the grip length is shorter, while having the same magazine capacity.

19-3Ben
March 3, 2010, 08:37 AM
Must be very easy to conceal IWB and must be super reliable.

So far, this is the definition of my Kahr K40. It's a very very impressive handgun.

lilidiot
March 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
A .380, 9mm Kurz is not puny by any stretch of your vivid imagination. It is more potent than the .38 police special that was used for years in this country and is still the best used police round in Europe. That is why they are in such high demand and our store shelves are bear of them.

Would you be willing to let me shoot you with one? I sincerely doubt it.

possum
March 3, 2010, 09:07 AM
I have carried 3 such handguns, the kahr k-40 (very concealable, and 100% reliable), glock 23 , and the xd service model. They are bot reliable, accurate, and i have no issue concealing them, though the glock is a little easier. However i do like teh xd better, and prefer to carry it shoot , and train with it over any other handgun out there.

71Commander
March 3, 2010, 09:18 AM
Kahr PM40. Whole lot easier to conceal that a Glock. Prettier too. +P rated. Mine has never had a jam. I shot it the day I bought it. Didn't clean it.:)

19-3Ben
March 3, 2010, 09:39 AM
A .380, 9mm Kurz is not puny by any stretch of your vivid imagination. It is more potent than the .38 police special that was used for years in this country and is still the best used police round in Europe. That is why they are in such high demand and our store shelves are bear of them.

Would you be willing to let me shoot you with one? I sincerely doubt it.

A) The OP asked for .40 cal pistols. Not .380.
B) I wouldn't let you shoot me with a spit ball. The argument that "You wouldn't let me shoot you with it, therefore it is powerful enough to stop a determined attacker" makes no sense.
C) You can't really compare the .38spl to the .380. they are very very different rounds.

easyg
March 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
Can you name the top three .40 caliber CCW? (Must be very easy to conceal IWB and must be super reliable.)
Harmon Rabb already named them....

Glock 27 subcompact

Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact

S&W M&P40c compact.

Not that anyone asked about the .380, but....

A .380, 9mm Kurz is not puny by any stretch of your vivid imagination.
It depends upon what you're comparing it to.
The .380 IS rather puny when compared to the 9mm Para, .45ACP, .45GAP, .38 Super, .40S&W, and .357Sig.

However, it is more powerful than the .22LR and the .25auto.:rolleyes:

It is more potent than the .38 police special that was used for years in this country...
Not in every load.
In heavier loads the .38 Special will outperform it.

...and is still the best used police round in Europe.
Do you have any proof of this statement?

That is why they are in such high demand and our store shelves are bare (edited for spelling) of them.
No, there is a high demand for the .380 because of guys like you, and because some guys want a tiny little pocket-pistol even if it is not such a great self-defense caliber.

Would you be willing to let me shoot you with one?
No.
And I wouldn't let you shoot me with a .25 auto either, or even a .22 Short from a 1" barrel revolver.
But none of that changes the fact that the .380 is just not that great of a self-defense caliber.

bds
March 3, 2010, 11:02 AM

For some, G27 with pearce grip extension makes for a more comfortable 3 finger grip.

All these compacts can be carries with full size magazines as spare magazines too.

71Commander
March 3, 2010, 11:06 AM

Are all too fat. The XD and Glock are not only fat but ugly.:barf:

bds
March 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
Are all too fat. The XD and Glock are not only fat but ugly.

Got something against fat and ugly? :D

The OP did not ask for top three most beautiful and slender, just top three - that would be a nice new thread though. :rolleyes:

OP: Can you name the top three .40 caliber CCW?

sig228
March 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
Very skinny and easily concealable IWB: Walther PPS

http://www.walther-pps.com/

lilidiot
March 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
By not wanting to get shot with a .380/ 9mm Kurz only validates it's value as a self defense round. No wonder Europe still thinks that it is a good choice for the police.

easyg
March 3, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, but you only get 6 in the magazine, unless you go with the extended magazines which makes it less and less concealable.

Nice looking pistol though.

easyg
March 3, 2010, 11:51 AM
By not wanting to get shot with a .380/ 9mm Kurz only validates it's value as a self defense round. No wonder Europe still thinks that it is a good choice for the police.
Would you want to get shot with a .22 Short?

Does that validate the .22 Short as a good self defense round?

If your answer is "yes" to either question it will tell me all that I need to know about you. ;)

Just One Shot
March 3, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have an XD .40 SC and a M&P .40 C. They won't fit in your pocket but they are both are easy to conceal.

Keep the .380 as a backup or for those times when carrying the .40 is impratical.

lilidiot
March 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
As I told you before on the other thread, the human body in intolerant of being struck with projectiles striking it at 1,000 feet a second regardless of size.

The .22 short round is the same diameter as the 5.6 NATO/.223 and at hand gun fighting distances of around 10 feet it is as equally lethal. It don't have to be .40 or .45 caliber to kill you and that is just plain common sense. Both the Kennedy brothers were killed with a round smaller than .38 caliber/9mm.

Those are indisputable facts my friend.

Just One Shot
March 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
The XD and Glock are not only fat but ugly.

:cuss:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They may be ugly to you but I like my XDs.

:scrutiny:

Besides, you would be hard pressed to find a more dependable semi auto handgun than the XD and the Glock lineup.

:neener:

:D

lilidiot
March 3, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but you only get 6 in the magazine, unless you go with the extended magazines which makes it less and less concealable.

Nice looking pistol though.
No you get seven in the mag and one in the pipe and that makes eight with a Walthers PPK/S
and if you use it right you won't even need all eight, two will do very nicely!:what:

NMGonzo
March 3, 2010, 12:23 PM
Get a full size bersa .40

96projectz24
March 3, 2010, 12:53 PM
lilmf, I wouldn't wanna be shot with a rock out of a slingshot, but that doesn't mean it will stop an attacker. Your logic is way off friend. As for the OP, I personally love my Glock 27!

jglcolosprgs
March 3, 2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks! (I'm switching to .40 caliber, instead of my puny .380)
My three favorite 40s

Glock G27

CZ RAMI 2075 in 40

and my "big" CCW my Glock G23.

The "best" means best for you................... YMMV.

JShirley
March 3, 2010, 01:50 PM
The .22 short round is the same diameter as the 5.6 NATO/.223 and at hand gun fighting distances of around 10 feet it is as equally lethal.

Complete nonsense. This shows a complete ignorance of the behavior of high velocity projectiles when striking tissue.

It don't have to be .40 or .45 caliber to kill you and that is just plain common sense.

True enough, but the purpose of a CCW is to stop the threat before it can hurt you. More energy/destruction on target (the threat) is more likely to accomplish this, and THAT'S common sense.

John

easyg
March 3, 2010, 02:34 PM
Are all too fat.
Not too fat, just a tad "thick".
But hey, you've got to have a little meat to hold on to, right? ;)

As for ugly....
I don't find Glocks to be ugly at all.
They're beautiful, in their own way.

The .22 short round is the same diameter as the 5.6 NATO/.223 and at hand gun fighting distances of around 10 feet it is as equally lethal.
If you really believe that a .22 Short handgun round is equally lethal as a 5.6 NATO rifle round, then you have lots to learn about ballistics and firearms.

No you get seven in the mag and one in the pipe and that makes eight with a Walthers PPK/S.
We were talking about the .40 caliber Walther PPS.
Not the .380 PPK/S.
Maybe you should read the original post again.

SOCO
March 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
Glock 27 b/c you get 10 rounds of .40 S&W in the same size package as the Glock 26 9mm. In regard to your "puny .380" - FWIW I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry in my weakside pocket just because I can't always carry my G27 everywhere. I upgraded to the LCP from my "puny" Kel Tec .32 because it's a bigger bullet in (basically) the same size gun.

NG VI
March 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
I love my Glock 27, I wouldn't want to go any lighter with a .40, I find the stubby two fingered grip is the best way to shoot it, give the best results and the most recoil control, plus it is ultra-easy to conceal. As long as you don't try to carry it in some overly thick IWB it isn't too thick at all, unless you are wearing speedos and a spandex mesh shirt.

I like the FIST #1AK, it doesn't look pretty at all, but it is the best, most functional holster I have for carrying concealed. I even like it better than my MTACs, which are great.

Motownfire
March 3, 2010, 03:03 PM
You can't go wrong with the Glock 27. It's as reliable as it gets and very accurate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg4y54Dk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIhmu9Fuk

Enachos
March 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
Glock 27 and Springfield XD are definitely great guns. I've only shot the M&Pc once but it just wasn't my gun! I love my Glock 27

... and just to add to this .380 war... I wouldn't trust my life to a .380 unless it was my only option! But it's not because I have a .40 S&W haha

obiwan1
March 3, 2010, 03:39 PM
Kahr K40, H&K P2000, G23. I own the first two and have shot the third. All great.

Ian's Dad
March 3, 2010, 03:42 PM
Walther PPS.. super thin, super accurate.. love it

Dolph92
March 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
I carry a Sig 239 in 40 in a blackhawk pancake holster. It carries easy in that setup.

Magoo
March 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
I've got a Walther P99 that conceals pretty well in a Crossbreed holster, but I too went with the Kahr PM40 for the closest I could come to a pocket pistol in a caliber > 9mm.

For 71Commander, or anyone else: You said the PM40 was rated for +P ammo. I just went back through my manual and could find no mention of that. And I'd thought there was no such thing as +P ammo in .40cal becasue the chamber pressures were already so high (32000-33000psi). Am I missing something?

JMidJr
March 3, 2010, 06:58 PM
Like Dolph said- Sig P239 is a great .40, but I like Sparks VMII IWB; comfortable, secure, and easy to conceal.

jeepguy
March 3, 2010, 07:09 PM
sig 239 or i have heard good things about springfield emp

mongo4567
March 3, 2010, 07:16 PM
I carry a Kahr PM40 and love it because of the size and weight. I also really like the Glock 27, Glock 23, and Beretta Cougar, but I lean towards a 1911 in .45 when carrying something that big.

cobblestone
March 3, 2010, 10:37 PM
Glock 23...im a bigger guy 6'4'' 265lbs and it is invisible on me with a tshirt and jeans. Never jams, shoots what you point it at. XD's get good reviews and they have safteys if you are into that kind of thing.

REAPER4206969
March 3, 2010, 11:24 PM
Glock 23. /thread

Inspiribomb
March 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
The Kahr K40/MK40 is pretty tough to beat for compactness. They are incredibly slim and compact.

badbart
March 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
I love my Kahr K40, never has jammed and conceals easy.

sig228
March 4, 2010, 12:24 AM
can't believe no one has mentioned it Walther PPS.. super thin, super accurate.. love it
ummm... see post #12

GRAYRID3R
March 4, 2010, 03:20 AM
+1 for post 12!

http://www.walther-pps.com/

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/grayrider1863/guns%20guns%20guns/Guns%20Guns%20Guns/guns001.jpg

makarovnik
March 4, 2010, 05:53 AM
Gotta love the quote feature about now.

Bovice
March 4, 2010, 06:30 AM
lol @ 22LR = 5.56NATO "at close range"

Maybe I should've gone the cheaper route and gotten the 22LR AR-15 instead of my .223 carbine. They would've done the same thing, right?

end sarcasm.

I second the Walther PPS suggestion. Handled one once, it was nice. Shoot one and see if you hate it.

While the goal is never to just brandish a firearm, think about this:

when some punk approaches you with a knife and demands your wallet, keys, jewelry, etc, he's going to "poop" bricks when he's staring down the barrel of a .40 cal pistol. If that's not changing his attitude, pull the trigger. That will. Even if you miss, the noise level is astounding. He'd probably then change his demands to a new pair of BVDs. Therefore, round capacity isn't everything. You probably won't need more than the first shot, if even that. If you're really worried, carry an extra magazine.

potentpoefie
March 4, 2010, 07:17 AM
I have a Glock 27. Love it.

however the M&P compacts are "bigger" but only marginal. However they are heavier. The Plus point on the M&P is they got the grip angle right. Like any other pistol in the world except for the Glocks.

i'm not a hater. I own one and love it. However I'm not blind to it's faults. I shoot my Colt 1911, HK USP and Beretta with no issues. Then the Glock angle comes into play. So different. BTW That's a Glock 23 so don't tell me it's because I can properly grip my other full size guns and of course the 27 is a bit small to hold. I have small hands and only manage a 2 finger hold on the flat mag. The +2 shoe version makes it feel like a Glock 23 in the hand. :cool:

hammerklavier
March 4, 2010, 11:51 AM
According to Bobo's chart, the Walther is 1.3 inches in width, while the Glock is 1.18 and the M&P and XD are both 1.2

As for weight, the M&P is only 2.6 ounces heavier than the Glock. The Springfield is 6.2 ounces heavier. Walthers are a couple ounces lighter than the Glock.

sig228
March 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
Gotta love the quote feature about now.
sure do

sig228
March 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
According to Bobo's chart, the Walther is 1.3 inches in width, while the Glock is 1.18 and the M&P and XD are both 1.2

I don't see any Walther in the chart. Is there a newer version that the one stickied here? Maybe that's the Walther PPK/S, not the PPS. Confusing names, I know.

19-3Ben
March 4, 2010, 03:45 PM

Based on what?

A .22short is woefully lacking in penetration. .223 does just fine. If a .22short hits a guy in the sternum, it may well stop in the bone, or bounce off. A .223 can blow right through it. They are on totally different power levels

You are comparing calibers without looking at energy, velocity, bullet weight, bullet material, and bullet design. This is indicative of a fundamental lack of understanding of ballistics.

Both the Kennedy brothers were killed with a round smaller than .38 caliber/9mm.

Once again. .30caliber rifle rounds are a totally different beast all together. You cannot look only at the width of a cartridge.

clang
March 4, 2010, 03:51 PM
Don't know if it is one of the "top 3", but S&W has made a few generations of their "Shorty 40". I don't think you can find a finer concealed carry .40 cal gun.

hammerklavier
March 5, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't see any Walther in the chart. Is there a newer version that the one stickied here? Maybe that's the Walther PPK/S, not the PPS. Confusing names, I know.

Quite right, I was looking at the wrong model. The pps, which is on the chart, is 1.04 inches in width. It's the chart called compact auto, not the pocket auto chart.

G27RR
March 5, 2010, 01:37 AM
For me it would be a Kahr CW40 or a Glock 27. Not sure I have a definitive 3rd choice in .40 cal.

RH45
March 5, 2010, 09:10 PM
The SIg 239 is a fine pistol. It's slim, and fairly accurate, but, it's HEAVY. I have an old, Kimber, Pro-Carry, in .40, that's sweet to carry.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 cal CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!