pardon my ignorance

PDA

Brutz
March 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
I just got a sp101 in .357 and it ran flawlessly. I love the dang thing. It is now my favorite to shoot. Now as the title suggests, I have a question that is rather common knowledge to most of you. I know not to do it, but why do I not flip the cylinder shut? What is it that can damage? thanks in advance. also I do not have any pics, due to the fact that my wife's digital camera is on its way. Got to love tax returns.

If you enjoyed reading about "pardon my ignorance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
savit260
March 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
You run the risk of bending the crane.

It's also about the same as using the term "Good Buddy" on a C.B. radio.

Something you only do if you want to look like a total newb.

md7
March 3, 2010, 10:43 AM
great little revovler you got there, i really like the sp101 and gp100 series that ruger has out.

bending the crane, as savit260 has already noted, is the risk you run by flicking a revolver closed. there might be other problems that i am not aware of.

congrats on the revolver by the way!

gwnorth
March 3, 2010, 10:45 AM
You also run a real risk of damage the cylinder locking pin and front locking tab - these do not like being slammed violently into their slots.

Demitrios
March 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
You'd be ignorant if you decided not to ask. Since you did decide to ask that shows that you have humility and humility is a sign of maturity. Congratulations on the new pistol and as the prior posters have said you can bend the crane and if you do that a slew of problems can arise from that.

Sniper X
March 3, 2010, 11:06 AM
That is a great question. Many just don't ask, then have problems when they do it too much. I never flip a revolvers cylender shut personally.

OldCavSoldier
March 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
Speaking on behalf of your revolver...THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!

All the above forum members are providing you with very good counsel..........

SwampWolf
March 3, 2010, 02:53 PM
Because flipping the cylinder of a revolver shut with a snap of the wrist was the common way to close a revolver by countless actors on the "big screen", this crane-springing, loading technique became known as "Bogarting".

shockwave
March 3, 2010, 02:58 PM
Since there may be a tactically sound situation in which you'd want to do this, I suggest you flip the cylinder closed a couple times, just to get the feel for it. Then don't do it again unless you need to. Heavy-frame revolvers in this class won't break easily. But it's a bad habit and pressing the cylinder closed in a smooth, deliberate manner is correct practice.

Action_Can_Do
March 3, 2010, 04:09 PM
There are competitive shooters who flip their revolvers shut. I don't know if they care if the gun is actually damaged or not.

RonBernert
March 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
Competitive shooters also have to service the gun more frequently..

The Lone Haranguer
March 4, 2010, 06:42 PM
As far as I can tell, not even Jerry Miculek flips, flicks or flings his cylinder open or shut. He manipulates the cylinder normally, just very fast. :D

Another problem with "flicking" is that the cylinder may not index and lock properly, becoming "hung up" between chambers. You should always press your cylinder closed and give it a final twist in the direction of rotation to be sure it locks. With practice you can do this pretty fast.

bobelk99
March 4, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have a favorite question that I believe relates to your question.

When your car door is open and you are ready to shut it, do you ever just kick it further open, so it rebounds and shuts on its own.

Sort of like slinging the cylinder to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "pardon my ignorance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!