is a commander size 1911 to big to cary?

PDA

jeepguy
March 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
just wanted to know what you guys thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "is a commander size 1911 to big to cary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doc540
March 3, 2010, 08:50 PM
depends on your carry situation, wardrobe, etc.

need more info

JTQ
March 3, 2010, 09:03 PM
There are bunches of guys on this site that carry a full size 1911. Wait for them to chime in.

Mags
March 3, 2010, 09:31 PM
Nope

Quack
March 3, 2010, 09:45 PM
nope.
i'm 6ft ~160Lbs and carry mine IWB w/o any problems.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_0665.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_0660.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
March 3, 2010, 10:14 PM
They are a very useful, all-around size for carry. I like their balance and handling better than the five-inch guns. An all steel one will weigh on you a little after a few hours, however.

jahwarrior
March 3, 2010, 10:25 PM
there are some pics of me concealing a full sized 1911 here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=498834

i conceal 75% of the time during the winter, 25% during the summer. i have no problem doing it under a t-shirt. the trick is getting a good holster, and positioning it correctly.

mljdeckard
March 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
I am one of they to whom JTQ referred.

I really think that the industry and the magazines work really hard to convince people that they have to buy two or three versions of everything. Adjust your wardrobe and your lifestyle to fit the gun, not the other way around.

Zundfolge
March 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
I'm convinced that with the right leather pretty much any handgun can be carried concealed ... even Desert Eagles and HK MK23s

Of course a commander will be more comfortable and more hidden than a full size (and an officer more comfortable and hidden than a commander) but its still possible.

For most guns a dual loop/clip style holster like what Quack posted is ideal.

ChristopherG
March 3, 2010, 10:56 PM
It's certainly not too big to TRY. If it's your first carry gun, I'd say it might be a bit big to START with. What the fellas have said above is true, and what works for some won't work for others, etcetera ad nauseum... But: it's also objectively true that a lot of people who own a lot of guns end up carrying smaller guns than a Commander because they feel it's just too restrictive--just a bigger set of sacrifices/compromises/whatever than they're willing to make in their wardrobe or whatnot.

If you're shopping for your first CCW gun I'd advise something smaller and probably lighter, to ease the transition to CCW. Not that a Commander can't be made to work--and be a great choice if you are one of those who will make it work for you. But there are reasons why the most carried Concealed weapon in America is an S&W j-frame (okay, I just made that stat up; but I bet it's true). And if you start with a smaller gun, then bump up to a bigger one, I'd bet even better money there would still be times you'd be glad you had the smaller piece.

Oh, and just for clarification, I conceal at various times a j-frame (of course); a Glock 19; a full size 1911; a 2.5" k-frame; and a couple of different 4" n-frames (but not all at the same time).

DasFriek
March 3, 2010, 11:00 PM
My 5" Gov. 1911 says your guns too small and needs to grow up an inch or so to be carried full time. :)
I carry a 5" 1911 as an edc with no issues, And thats by choice as i sold my smaller guns to fund other long gun projects.
I had 5 ccw guns to choose from but found my 1911 was carried 90% of the time as my main gun, I even stopped carrying a bug. But that was because i felt it was a tad too many things on my person.

Seroulsy a Commander is a perfect gun for everyday carry, You just need to find the right holster and spots to carry it.

nathan
March 3, 2010, 11:14 PM
One needs a good OWB holster on that one and its perfect.

Quack
March 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
My 5" Gov. 1911 says your guns too small and needs to grow up an inch or so to be carried full time

shh...i've carried my Wilson Longslide a few times. it wasn't too bad to carry, but it will be slower to get it out of the holster :eek:

riceboy72
March 4, 2010, 12:06 AM
Ditto to what's already been said. With a quality holster AND belt, carrying a Commander sized 1911 is no issue whatsoever. You learn to dress around the pistol and I honestly don't mind, much less notice, the Springfield Champion on my hip.

When it comes down to it for comfort and ease of carry, spend the money and get quality carry gear because it makes all the difference.

steveracer
March 4, 2010, 01:46 AM
I think it's one of the best carry guns in the world.
The only thing better is a CCO.
I have carried every variant of 1911 out there for many years. The full-sized and Commander sized guns are GREAT pistols, and no reason you can't conceal one. If I can conceal a 629, you can conceal a Commander.

Oro
March 4, 2010, 02:25 AM
I think it's one of the best carry guns in the world.

I agree with that. The only widely made gun I think is better is a S&W 19/66 in 2.5". I've tried Glocks (23) and many guns over the years. The Commander is a great cc piece if you have to have an auto. If you aren't fixated on autos, there are other great options out there.

I chuckle at the guys who insist a Glock is so superior - with it's (generally) less effective rounds, bulkier width and "print-crazy" big-butt grip. I can only guess they haven't tried too many guns in their life. After even a mid-size Glock, a Commander is a dream to carry.

earlthegoat2
March 4, 2010, 06:14 AM
If I was going to conceal carry a 1911 it would definitely be a Commander sized one.

As it is I regularly conceal carry a different gun which has similar dimensions and weight as a Commander.

That is a Browning Hi Power. It has a loaded weight right about equal to a Gov't model.

The trick is GOOD leather. Not the best value in leather but good and OVERPRICED leather. Call me a snob but you have to spend some money. There is no such thing as good enough. You need the BEST. Do not convince yourself you can get away with the best value or that the best for you is some second teir junk.

I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max and a Belt Man belt. These are both big names in the industry and I would recommend them to anyone. You can get your holsters and belts from someone else though. I would recommend anyone who makes a double thickness horsehide or reinforced cowhide belt. Companies that have long wait times are a good place to start as well since the long wait time speaks for itself in quality. Believe me, the wait is worth it.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/earlthegoat2/SDC11621.jpg

tfields
March 4, 2010, 06:20 AM
good belt good holster thats all ya need to know. but as much as its stated we still have to say it.

easyg
March 4, 2010, 07:28 AM
An all steel one will weigh on you a little after a few hours, however.
Exactly.

IMO, a full-sized steel 1911 is just too dang heavy to carry all day long.

Lv4snobrdg
March 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
LOL

I find the argument "a full size steel" frame is too heavy to carry all day pretty funny. The commander/4" is a great choice for carry. The reliability of a 1911, great SD accuracy, lighter than a full size and being able to lob a .45 at a bad guy is always a great choice.

As for the Gov model, its fine to carry all day as long as your pants and belt fit you properly. Big boys with no hips will have problems with pants drop, lol been there lost the weight THANK GOD! When I carried in WA state I had to go with a shoulder rig cuz the lack of hips embarrassed me a couple times!

EddieNFL
March 4, 2010, 12:06 PM
Much too big. I carry a Government size, instead. :evil:

Mainsail
March 4, 2010, 12:19 PM
Here's a picture of a guy carrying a G20 in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Since his pants are up, I'm going to say it's not too big. I often carry a full sized Sig 1911 in similar fashion.

http://img.geocaching.com/user/56e17073-8db4-4c0e-8ede-442ccd938f62.jpg

Lv4snobrdg
March 4, 2010, 12:25 PM
cop, looks like a cop, how a cop carries isn't concealed, its advertised! hey look over here a cop! I think his badge is hanging of his left pants pocket.

EddieNFL
March 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
An all steel one will weigh on you a little after a few hours, however.

I'm too dumb to realize it's too heavy to carry.

I think Clint Smith is right.

JHK94
March 4, 2010, 01:24 PM
cop, looks like a cop, how a cop carries isn't concealed, its advertised! hey look over here a cop! I think his badge is hanging of his left pants pocket.

I've seen that pic before, he's not a cop, he's just open carrying. The point is that the size/weight doesn't matter that much, as far as comfort.

earlthegoat2
March 4, 2010, 01:43 PM

You have not been around long enough to know so I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time.

I know who it is in that picture and though he may be a cop, (I honestly dont know but I would guess not) he is an open carry afficianado.

Lv4snobrdg
March 4, 2010, 02:07 PM
ah geez Earl, thanks for going easy on me.

so don't worry about how long "i've been around" and exercise your first amendment rights!

Mad Chemist
March 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
Whoa. Ease up on the attitude buddy.

There are a LOT of people here involved with open carry activism. While it may not be my cup of tea, I think making blanket statements about them and insulting them as a group is ignorant and rude.
Don't go trolling for fights here, this ain't no honky tonk.

ILikeLead
March 4, 2010, 02:18 PM
My commander size 1911 has rode my hip almost every day since November 1 when I received CCW permit. It is a Scandium model that definately helps weight, but the size is no problem in a CB Supertuck at 4 oclock strong side

Mad Chemist
March 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
If it's alloy framed, then packing a commander sized 1911 is roughly equivalent to packing a G19. And I don't think any reasonable person here is going to claim that a G19 is a particularly difficult gun to conceal.

An all steel gun, either commander or govt., really does require a high quality holster and belt to properly distribute the weight. You gotta have both. An improper belt simply will not due for edc with a heavy gun.

Another consideration with these guns are their larger grips. It is not the barrel and frame that make concealment problematic it is the butt of the gun which tends to flair out away from the body. A good concealment holster/belt combo will keep the butt of the gun snug against the body and minimize this. But may still be occasionally visible whenever you bend at the waist.

Another additional consideration is your activity level and necessary degree of concealment. If you need to crouch and squat throughout the day in close proximity to people who do not need to know you are armed then a full size 1911 is not going to work for you. If your concealment level is just rudimentary courtesy and you don't really care if people figure out you are armed then carry whatever you want.

I'm a little tired of guys who post something along the lines of..."look at me with my Colt Govt concealed under just this white t-shirt". Sure buddy. Now bend at the waist and see how well that white t-shirt conceals that pistol butt. Guess what? It doesn't. If this is OK in your work and home environment then go for it. But keep in mind that some of us edc in places where being made is absolutely unacceptable.

Just my observations YMMV.

Mainsail
March 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
if he ain't a cop then he is an attention whore.

:rolleyes:
No, not a cop or a whore of any kind. Making such sweeping assumptions on preconceived notions or personal bigotry would be like someone making assumptions on anotherís intelligence based solely on the atrocious spelling and grammar in their posts or sig line. Letís not drag the thread off topic.

No, my point was that the OP didnít specify how he carried or where he intends to carry. Open carry, OWB concealed carry, or IWB concealed carry are three entirely different beasts, and necessitate three different answers. In my opinion a 1911, even a full sized one, is not too big to carry OWB either concealed or openly, but might be problematic for some carried IWB unless you get a quality holster like the one pictured.

Additionally, if youíre limited to concealed carry, some states view Ďprintingí differently as well. The OP neglected to fill in the space for location when he registered, so itís hard to come up with a meaningful answer.

Like the second post noted, more information is needed.

NMGonzo
March 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
My Dan Wesson is probably the heaviest commander sized guns around.

Depends on pants, I wear suspenders to keep the pants in place at all times so not to play with the gun a whole lot.

Rexster
March 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
I prefer the larger (longer slide/barrel; same grip size) Government Model-sized 1911s myself, and carried them concealed on my skinny frame quite successfully and comfortably from the mid-1980s to 2002. When I had to start carrying certain specified double-action .40 autoloaders on duty, on I settled on SIG P229s, I soon began carrying them on my own time, as I prefer my "go to" handgun to be the same as much of the time as feasible. When I retire from policin' in a few years, I may revert to carrying a 5" 1911 concealed.

I see no practical difference in concealing a full-sized 1911 and my present "compact" SIGs. I have Josh Bulman FDS holsters for both the 5" 1911, and the SIG P229. I learned long ago how to dress around big sixguns, such as S&W N-frames and GP100s, so these nicely flat autos are easy.

riceboy72
March 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
Madchemist makes a good point. Concealing the gun while you stand still is one thing; keeping it concealed while moving around is another issue. There are options such as doing a bobtail and wearing a cover garment, but for me, my Lightweight Champion Operator isn't exactly a T-shirt and shorts gun. If I do carry it in the summer, I usually wear a button up plaid shirt and am mindful of how I move and bend over. Nonetheless, I think the 4 - 4.25" 1911's are one of the best carry options out there.

GBExpat
March 4, 2010, 03:26 PM
During the late `70s I carried my Colt Combat Commander in a pancake holster under a sport jacket.

Just shy of 6' and ~160lbs and I found the piece to be a bit on the heavy side for my comfort so I eventually switched to a Walther PPK/s and a different Roy's Leather Goods pancake holster.

tfields
March 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
i carry a full size 1911 14 hours a day iwb never a problem,but i know that may not be true for everyone, each to his own i say!!

maroast
March 4, 2010, 08:36 PM
I was told by several gun store employes that a commander length 1911 is too big/heavy to carry....especially IWB! I generally don't listen to people and do what I want anyway.... So I got a CBOB and wow, they couldn't have been more wrong!

I carry a Dan Wesson CBOB in a Monica Kuehn IWB holster with no problem at all... this setup is very comfortable and conceals easily with a loose fitting t-shire or button-down long or short sleeve shirt. I don't mind the weight of the pistol at all.... im 5'10 170lbs.

jeepguy
March 4, 2010, 09:11 PM
first i want to thank everyone for their replys and say sorry for not giving more info.still new at this. i live in ohio and will be using a iwb holster. first i was going to get a sig 239 in 40, but i love my 5" s&w 1911. so i was trying to figure out if a s&w 1911 commander with a scandium frame, would be to big for carry. i do have a cz 82 for summer or when i want/need to go small. but i would like to upgrade for normal daily carry. also looking at high noon holsters.

trickyasafox
March 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
I carry a LW commander IWB regularly. They aren't bad at all. pretty similar in size to the g19 and g23.

makarovnik
March 5, 2010, 02:15 AM
Uh, no.

trickyasafox
March 5, 2010, 02:36 PM
was that no to me makarovnik?

if so I don't understand why

have you ever laid one on top of the other? dimensionally they are very close. Unless my colt LW and my g23 are one offs. The Commander is heavier- even the lw version by 6 oz - but length and height aren't far off. the commander is less than a half inch longer and 3/4 of an inch taller.

the weight is a big difference- but the length and height are pretty close.

width changes too much with grip preference on the 1911 to make any comparison to the glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "is a commander size 1911 to big to cary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!