Ruger Mini-14 Problem

PDA

Confederate
March 3, 2010, 10:09 PM
I have a brand new Ruger Mini-14 that I just put into a folding stock. It appears to function just fine, but the bolt won't stay open with a magazine inserted. The gun cocks and otherwise seems fine. The only magazine I have is the 5-shot mag that came with it.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini-14 Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
March 3, 2010, 10:17 PM
Are you pushing down on the bolt hold open button while holding the bolt back?

Confederate
March 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
Nope. Just pulling back the bolt. It then slides forward as if there were no magazine in the well.

chevyforlife21
March 3, 2010, 10:39 PM
theres your problem push in on the button

mgregg85
March 4, 2010, 12:21 AM
theres your problem push in on the button

I think he is saying that the empty magazine is not holding the bolt back.

To the op, i'd take it apart and make sure that nothing on the stock is contacting the internal parts. Did you remember to put the reinforcement thing in the new stock?

Confederate
March 4, 2010, 02:17 AM
Yes, you're right, but I'm not sure what yu mean by the "reinforcement thing." There was a plastic insert that's used to pry the stock apart to receive the rifle; but I don't think it's supposed to go in the thing. Is that what you mean? I guess the worse thing that can happen is that it won't lock back...but that's pretty bad.

mgregg85
March 4, 2010, 02:46 AM
Its called the "ruger stock reinforcement". Its inside the magazine well and held by the two screws on either side of the stock.

Heres a link...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=547796#enlarge

You don't need to buy a new one, you can just pull the one out of your rifle.

TexasPatriot.308
March 4, 2010, 03:23 AM
you got a new mini 14 without a 20 rd. mag? seems like they allcome with 20 rounders now. they aint cheap either, anyway I love my minis.

Confederate
March 4, 2010, 01:45 PM
This is a "new" rifle I've had for a few years. I have some mags somewhere, but I have to look them up. The gun should work with the 5-shot clip. I'm hoping it's a magazine problem and not because I put it in the stock.

I did put in all the reinforcement parts, plus the two screws. The button doesn't appear to be popping up and this may be part of my problem.

carbine85
March 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
Do you have a buffer in it? If so it could be to thick to allow the slide from coming back far enough.
Did you some how break or lose the hold open device on the side of the receiver?
Does this happen with all mags?

Confederate
March 4, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm going to find out if it happens with all mags when I find my duffel bag.

It's also possible that I put a buffer in the gun. If so, I'm going to get it out on just principle. My brother sent me a couple.

Thanks!

Confederate
March 6, 2010, 12:11 AM
Easy, Colonel. The .223 does just fine by me. But then, so does the .22LR!

Of all the rounds out there, the .223 scares me as much as any of 'em. I've seen photos of .223 wounds and some things are worse than death.

An Opinion on .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO (http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/02/five_letters_re_an_opinion_on.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini-14 Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!