The trouble with cows:

PDA

navaide
March 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
Went out to the back forty for some target shooting today! The weather was good. Sunny, light wind, temp 66 degrees. After going through the cattle guard and gate, I prceeded another two miles on unimproved road. The cattle were around the watering holes, so I figured they wouldn't be a problem. On arriving at may favorite area, I checked for cows, antelope,or muleys. Nothing in sight for over a mile. I set up my shooting mat, and then walked off 100 yds. and 150 yds. for setting up the paper target stands. I shot my .308 first at the 100 yard target. After 10 rds. I walked down with a roll of masking tape to cover the holes. On the way back I noticed twelve cows standing around my car. I sat down on my shooting mat,and here they come to check me out. I never experienced shooting around cows so i waited until they moved off about 50 yds. before I resumed shooting. Thinking the sound would spook them, but after about eight rounds, they came back to within thirty feet of me. When I finnished the ten rounds,and went down the the target to tape the holes, they followed. I went back to the mat and sat down to wait for them to walk back, but they were more interested in my targets and the grass around them. fustrated, I packed up and drove home. Free range target shooting is not without it's problems. In the movies the cattle always stampede after a few shots. I guess they thought I was bringing lunch.

Navaide

If you enjoyed reading about "The trouble with cows:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
March 3, 2010, 10:17 PM
also, they will eat your targets if you leave them up

also, also, you can hunt them with a hammer

armoredman
March 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
That's funny, sorry. :)

GIJOEL
March 3, 2010, 10:49 PM
There is a good reason that we eat soooo many hamburgers and steaks.

Cypress
March 3, 2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that tends to happen.

desidog
March 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
I was guessing you stepped in.....
..or one of em stepped on your....

jpwilly
March 3, 2010, 11:52 PM
Perhaps they were "happy cows" from CA - maybe they wanted to go home to your freezer.

Dallas Jack
March 4, 2010, 12:25 AM
Just get a slingshot and a handfull of marbles. Aim for the buttocks.:eek:
Dallas Jack

grubbylabs
March 4, 2010, 12:42 AM
Sorry but that is funny:) But yes it would be very frustrating. Did you check the regs and see if it was the first day of cattle rustling season? you never know when it will open, they do fill out a freezer very nicely.

mljdeckard
March 4, 2010, 12:50 AM
Had I not worked with cows I wouldn't believe it. But I have. Those steaks on the hoof eat silage, for pete's sake.

paintballdude902
March 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
i would gotten lunch there but the cows wouldnt have liked it :)

U.S.SFC_RET
March 4, 2010, 06:51 AM
Cows can be just as curious as a creature you have ever seen.

Fremmer
March 4, 2010, 07:08 AM
They were hoping for food.

Had a couple horses follow me across a pasture; I was turky hunting and trying to sneak around.

Ever tried sneaking anywhere while being shadowed by two horses?!? :uhoh:

Davek1977
March 4, 2010, 07:17 AM
LOL, having grown up on a cattle ranch here in South Dakota,, this doesn't suprise me in the least. Fremmer is right though...while cows can be might curious, (futrther) dmesticated animals like horses are worse!! I have many memories of shooting prairie dogs in the town behind our house (MAN, i miss living in the country) with horses routinely breathing down my neck as I was braced against the fence! While the guy with a .44 mag next to you at the range can certainly be distracting, having a 1000 lb critter breath down your neck as you squeeze the trigger offers its own challenges!!

ole farmerbuck
March 4, 2010, 07:25 AM
One of my best p-dog towns is in cattle pens. Sometimes the cattle are right there beside the dog. I've shot them with the cattle looking down at them right under their nose. Doesnt scare the catle at all. Makes me take better aim before shooting.

stealth
March 4, 2010, 07:49 AM
They were hoping for food.

Had a couple horses follow me across a pasture; I was turky hunting and trying to sneak around.

Ever tried sneaking anywhere while being shadowed by two horses?!? :uhoh:
Now that's funny.

Free pack-mule service!

or

Tactihorse has your six.
Always fed high performance tactical hay (haytorade) , these tactical horseshoe wearing beasts have full picatinny rails mounted on their face harness.
Trained for door breaching, and equipped with 3rd Gen NVGs they are ready for night ops.
They even know hand signals including "Breech Door", "Pointman Horse", "Foxtrot" "Flank left", "Flank left extreme", "DoubleKick" and "Get in the Choppar!".
Find your horse in the dark with Tritium inserted headgear. New for 2010 with Crimson Trace equipped laser collar.
Notice: Per .Gov requirements this horse has had its "Happy Switch" removed and is governed to run at half speed. Hydrostatic shock sold separately.

deadeyedog270
March 4, 2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry to say this but this one gave me my laugh for the day.

dose remind me of playing at the the farm down the road as a boy whith the kids there, the cows fallowed us every where even the the club house we built they would stick there heads in and look around they did not like it when we would try to ride them back up to the barn though

nitetrane98
March 4, 2010, 10:40 AM
I suspect they were waiting for you to break out the groceries.

Generally speaking, around East Texas you can lead a herd of cattle anywhere you want with an empty cattle cube bag, especially in the winter. Gotta be careful, they'll take you down for it.

We used to get a cattle theft call once in a while. They'd just back up to a gate, honk the horn and lead 'em right into the trailer. A lot of them were "gentleman farmer" cows that were little more than big pets. Something to get the agricultural tax break.

Art Eatman
March 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
I had a Colt 1911 that ejected the brass sorta back to the rear. My palomino gelding would assume the intructor's position if I was shooting a revolver, but he didn't like getting hit in the face from the 1911's brass.

Always nice to have help...

627PCFan
March 4, 2010, 11:13 AM
this begs the question....what caliber for cows......and no headshots-:D

SlamFire1
March 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
This breeding bull decided to hide behind the target frame. We had to chase him away to resume shooting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/BullBehindtargetframeDSCN7727.jpg

winknplink
March 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
Funny stuff.

I shoot at an outdoor range where wild turkeys are the problem year round. The range is setup between two thick wood lines with staggered/offset backstop dugouts every 100 yards out to 500, and they evidently live behind the backstops b/c when the shooting starts, they all parade out to see what's going on.

That place is loaded with wild turkeys and they couldn't care less about you being there. It is common place to be shooting at a 100 yard target that is 2 feet above a hen's head.

And nobody ever shoots them, which is just amazing to me.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
One year on a hunting lease, the rancher had a white pickup truck and it was during a drought, so he supplemented their feed -- so when he came onto the land, it was feedin time!

Well, of course, my pickup is/was also white, so when I drove around to maintain stands, etc., they would follow me (mostly open, so they could see me for a long ways). Then they would all crowd around my pickup truck while I was doing whatever. This was not a problem until the day I brought one of my fearless dogs along (who weighs 28 lbs soaking wet). Of course, he had to antagonize the bull in the crowd - I barely saved the dogs butt and got out of there with both of us intact - adrenaline rush, to be sure.

Tactihorse has your six.

Bwaaaahahaha! :D

And nobody ever shoots them, which is just amazing to me.

You sure about that? You ain't there 24/7, are ya? ;) One day I walked down at dusk (only one at the range) to the 200 yard berm and stood there on top a little while...the deer move right behind the berm. I'm sure they come out on the range sometimes, too, though I've not seen that yet. Of course, the rules are "no hunting on range property" - have to admit it's tempting though. :)

ArmedBear
March 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
navaide - Do you live around here? Sounds like a spot where I shoot.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
Dr. Tad-

Clearly, you should get a Loden Range Rover. You can tell your wife I said so.

WRT dogs, our 48 lb. pit bull, that has seldom been in any real scuffles with any dogs, but got her ass handed to her whenever she was, faced off with a herd of cattle in a canyon in Oregon when we were on our honeymoon. They started towards the dog. She backed up, and I could almost see her think, "Oh crap. They want to kill me! Better bluff!" So she turned around, faced them squarely, and charged them with a ferocious growl. They paused, turned around, and ran the other way. So did I, since I didn't want to be around if the ranch hands came by to see who had stampeded their herd.:D

Now I don't know if the lead animal was a bull, because I was worried about the dog at first, but ended up laughing pretty hard. So I didn't look too closely. I think it was, though. He was surrounded by what seemed to be a harem.

SHvar
March 4, 2010, 12:45 PM
I saw a camel grab an M16 once (off of someones shoulder), then run, not long afterwards the shoulder strap was pulled from the beasts mouth and the whole herd ran for the hills.
Usually cows do scare rather easy, depends more on your body movements though.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2010, 12:50 PM
Now we know how Al Qaeda gets its weapons.:D

mikewayde
March 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
:D This thread made my day..

figment
March 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
these cows are probably fed from a vehicle sometimes so they associate one with food. Every time I drove the truck out into the pasture, they would come running. Some kinds of vehicle paint are very tasty to cows and they will scrape the heck out of them gnawing it off.

baldeagle93
March 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
SlamFire1-That looks like a bovine suicide attempt!!!

DoubleTapDrew
March 4, 2010, 02:38 PM
Somebody needs to talk to that bull about cover vs. concealment.
We've had some nice deer run across the range while it was hot. I'm pretty convinced they know the exact dates and units for deer season.
Our next door neighbor has a shooting bench and nice backstop he lets us use although sometimes it involves some cattle driving by ATV to get them behind us, they are definitely curious and not gun-shy. I worry they'll snicker at my shoddy groups :)

Motodeficient
March 4, 2010, 02:39 PM
This happens to me as well. They also do it when I am cutting firewood. Its kind of scary because you can't hear them sneaking up on you with the saw running, then you turn around and they are right there!

SSN Vet
March 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
our neighbor has a 4H project gone out of control...

with a "rescue" donkey acting like a sheep dog to three Black Angus that are fatening up in the "yard"...

They come trotting over to the fence whenever the kids go out back, as they think they're going to get a carrot or tuft of the tall grass on the other side of the fence.

I walk the dog at night and take the short cut home up that trail some times and they seem to be attracted to my flashlight. They sure look a lot bigger in the dark.

They are indeed curious and habitual scrounges.

navaide
March 5, 2010, 11:22 AM
ArmedBear,
No, but I wish I did. I live just west of Roswell, NM. I can see the Capitans, & Sierra Blanca mountains from where I shoot. My goal is to some day live in Idaho.
Navaide

ArmedBear
March 5, 2010, 11:57 AM
I drove through Roswell once. Great barbecued brisket, but I didn't see a single alien.:D

41magsnub
March 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
My family's cabin is in ann open range national forest. A few times a year we have to run the cows off the property, a worn out of crossman 760 with 2 pumps to the rump does the job nicely.

Kansan
March 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
Not cow related, but animal on the range related...
I remember many a time at tank ranges at both Ft Riley and Knox where I could look through the night vision and see a herd of deer or flock of turkey out there. Kind of funny to imagine opening up with the .50 cal MG. Or even better, deer hunting with a 120mm cannon, hehe.

Art Eatman
March 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
Roswell's on my route from Terlingua to Raton, among other jaunts. West from Roswell is a neat drive, going on over to Lincoln and then Carrizozo. There's a B&B in Lincoln with some of the world's finest coffee, and the owner is heavy into southwestern history.

Oregun89
March 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
If you also shoot and carry a bow, rubber tipped arrows make herding cattle a lot more entertaining. :D

eastbank
March 5, 2010, 05:24 PM
you can,t kiss them while your making love to them. eastbank.

Dave B
March 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/dbeeson3/DSC00641.jpg

eddism
March 5, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cows should be in a pen. Did you hear about the skipper of the US Destroyer Cowpen. She was relieved of "HER" command after being caught dragracing another ship in the Pacific. Then in rage she got her knickers all bunched in a wad. PMS'ed and took a hit of acid. Then wooped everybody's azz's on the bridge. Later, she was confined to her pen on the Cowpen.

taliv
March 5, 2010, 10:28 PM
posting while intoxicated is frowned upon

winknplink
March 5, 2010, 10:42 PM
went out to the farm today to do some plinking, cruised on out to the bottoms and I literally drove right up on an albino skunk out in a field along a wood line. Got within 30 yards of him and he never even noticed. Solid white with pink eyes. I guess he was also blind. I fired a warning shot to scare him off (cause I had no desire to kill it), lol, he froze, head a tail both came straight up...I got back in the truck and decided to let him make the calls in this relationship.

The_Hammer_Man
March 5, 2010, 10:45 PM
The 100 yrd berm at out local gun club is absolutely riddled with groundhog burrows and there USED to be about a dozen of those little buggers up on top of the berm WATCHING as we'd shoot. Every once in a while one would dissappear into the brush and then reappear at the 50 yrd line and sprint across the range back into the brush on the other side. (Think galumphing hairy brown thing zipping through your scope picture as you're zoning in for a screamer group.)

This went on most of last summer until, in late August, I ran into our club president and asked him about them. "Oh sure, if they're in front of the berm, not on top of it, and you get a shot... do it. We've trapped and poison bated for years w/o much success."

YAY! Open season on irritating big brown hairy galumphing thangs! Needless to say there will befive fewer grounhogs at the 50 yrd races this year.

To the OP.. funny and oh so true! Cattle will follow a cat around the feedlot just to have something to do.

eastbank
March 6, 2010, 07:50 AM
here,s what happens to cows that wander on to my shooting range,instance hamberger. eastbank.

Owen
March 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
I work on a Navy Small Arms range. Typically we will get all of our gear setup while its still dark, and then sit around drinking coffee/ checking email/etc. while we wait for the sun to come up.

The pits we shoot into have a mound about 50 yards in front of the to conceal acoustic targeting systems, pop-ups, and the like.

I wasn't actually on the range this day, but i hear the story over and over again.

One day we were testing Anti-material rifles. We were shooting at stacks of spaced steel and aluminum plates, with a 6' x 6' backer, The sun came up, we verified the dope on the rifle from the previous day, and had the RSO turn on the red light. My colleague got behind the rifle, took aim and missed the plates with a .50 APIT, but did manage to hit the backer, fllowed by a gigantic puff of feathers from behind the target.

I don't think that turkey was expecting to get hit by a .50, at 1000 yards, first thing in the morning...

blazer525
March 6, 2010, 10:44 AM
I hope I'm doing this right cowswithguns.com

ole farmerbuck
March 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
here,s what happens to cows that wander on to my shooting range,instance hamberger. eastbank.
I hate to say this but i dont think thats a 'cow'. I dont think those are teats back there. Not the right kind of milk.

Katana8869
March 6, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am infamous among my friends and relatives for having cow troubles while hunting lol. I seem to be a regular "cow magnet"

When I first got into calling coyotes, this is what I managed to call up the first time out. (pic taken from about 6 feet away)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/0073-1.jpg

This was taken of me as we were heading out on a hog hunt. ;)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/cow.jpg

52grain
March 6, 2010, 03:45 PM
One of the local DNR ranges has a real problem with ground squirrels. Unfortunately the range officers won't let the shooters take care of the problem. Apparently they don't want to clean up the mess.

While shooting last summer, I had a sparrow sit on top of my target stand for about 10 minutes.

Dimis
March 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
ive got to go we've got cows :D
~the movie twister

Ohio Gun Guy
March 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
A roll of duct tape................................................

Some Antlers.......................................................

Profit! :evil:

MNgunhead
March 11, 2010, 07:25 PM
I've had cows ruin several good turkey hunting outings. They are very curious and apparently my blind and a turkey decoy are better the HBO.

Mr. T
March 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
A Salty old friend of mine named "Slug" ....no sh*t everyone called him "Slug"--anyway one time we were going fishing and some farmers cow got out on the highway and we tried to help the farmer corner the cow and get it back into the pen...long story short the cow got away and my friend hopped back into the car and serious as can be say's, "you know why you'll never see a cow in the circus?" My reply was no and he continued, " because they're too F*cking Dumb!" Truer words were never spoken.

MJR007
March 11, 2010, 08:27 PM
Beware of the cows eating the old apples on the ground...

Ignition Override
March 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
How about a pellet gun?

Two pumps of pressure with a pellet gun and zap each of them in the ass, or in the shoulder might not cause any infection.
Would this make them change their plans to socialize?

ole farmerbuck
March 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
They would probably think it was just a fly biting them.

JimKirk
March 12, 2010, 12:45 AM
Just carry a sack of corn next time ... leave it in the bag .... watch the cows figure out how to get in ... by the time they have got in and fought for who is going to eat first... you'll have time for a good shooting session.

Cows ain't dumb either! We had two Guernsey who could turn the water faucet on to drink fresh water. Both could open the latches on the barn door and the pasture gate.
That was no problem... the problem was that they would not turn the water off after they finished drinking and the well would run dry. If they were in the barn they wanted to be in the pasture... if they where in the pasture ...they want to be in the barn. If they went else where... it was always in Moma's flower bed, so we knew where to find them. The problem with the gate opening was that they let all the other cows out and they were not as smart. So I had to chase cows! We finally took all the handles off the faucets and put them on a nail next to faucet. We put chains with snap locks on the gates to stop the gate openings.

Jimmy K

clone
March 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
I often do my shooting on a 7000+ acre cattle/feed farm (I know most of you farmers have heard of CPC).

They can indeed get annoying. I was out doing some coyote hunting this winter and came back to see my truck licked from top to bottom for the salt. Durn cows. :scrutiny: I have had them follow me around while I was on a coyote/ground hog hunt. :uhoh: :fire: They get annoying when deer hunting, when they make you think there is a deer coming up through the woods and it turns out to be a cow. Some of them will get quite aggressive as well, I have been chased several times.

Good times though, in fact I am leaving in a few minutes to go for a weekend on the farm.

Kenpo
March 12, 2010, 01:40 PM
I have had to deal with the cow issue in both Montana and Arizona. It can be pretty frustrating.

These days, if I am going shooting in a free range area, I just bring my dogs. they push the cows about 50-100 feet and then happily come back to the jeep. They do a good job keeping them away from my targets and out of the line of sight.

MetalHead
March 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
From above:
"How about a pellet gun?
Two pumps of pressure with a pellet gun and zap each of them in the ass, or in the shoulder might not cause any infection.
Would this make them change their plans to socialize?"

Only if you like finding pellets in your next steak!
You could also be thrown off that farm or even charged with a crime, think of all the negative publicity that would cause. Wrist Rocket with paintballs might do the trick.

If you enjoyed reading about "The trouble with cows:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!