40lbs of corn cob media $25 @ Grainger

PDA

mousegun380
March 3, 2010, 11:15 PM
So I have been looking for this stuff in bulk but I wanted to make sure I got the fine grit like you get at the reloading shop. I happened to have a box of Cabela's brand and it said "14/20 grit" right on the box. I looked on Grainger's website and they have:

2MVR4 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 14/20 Grit $24.90

I ordered one to pick up at my local branch. I'll let you all know how it goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "40lbs of corn cob media $25 @ Grainger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
March 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
I see you're somewhat new here at least in posting, Welcome Aboard.

What you ordered will work just fine but wish you would've asked first. The 20/40 grit is finer and does away with the media getting caught in the flash holes and primer pockets. Also there is a retail shipping arm of graingers called http://www.drillspot.com/ That will ship direct to your door and I believe is a little cheaper. Oh well such is life. You might be able to refuse shipment but if you're like me I do not like to do that.

Any way when you get it fill your tumbler and add a teaspoon or 2 of liquid car wax like Nu-Finish and tumble away. One of the secrets to using your media is not using to much, this may be America but in this case more is not necessarly better.

Best
jcwit

Walkalong
March 4, 2010, 08:54 AM
14/20 is what I bought as well. I don't have much problem with media sticking in flash holes, and it pours right out of .22 caliber brass. It came in a brown bag, but I transferred it to plastic buckets (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79045&d=1211937678) that I could keep sealed.

jcwit is correct, the 20/40 is finer still. That is what I will get next time, but I am not unhappy with the 14/20.

Fresh media needs a fair amount of polish added, but after that it just takes a little squirt added each time. I also sprinkle some water in it when new and if it gets dried out and starts getting dusty.

mousegun380
March 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about the finer - almost bought it in fact - but when I went down to the reloading bench I noticed that it said 14/20 on the commercially marketed stuff. So, I went for that. I was worried about the finer stuff being too dusty. I tried walnut once and it was very dusty. I switched back to corn cob.

So you add polish every time? I add several drops when the media is new but then only add more after 3 runs or so. Seems like I get a film if I add too much.

jcwit
March 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
I don't add polish every time I tumble, just when it stops working like I want. Walkalong sayes he does, he probably polishes more than I do anymore so that may make a difference. As far as the dust goes my tumbler is a Cabalas, same thing as Berry's, and has a solid lid, so dust is not a problem for me. Some brands have holes in the lid for some reason. I would say whatever works for you.

I will add that some over on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php suggest tumbling a couple of hundred at a time or more claiming you get better agitation action and faster cleaning, I would tend to agree with that but no longer tumble that many at a time. Hopefully this summer weather and health will allow more shooting. Oh ya gas prices too.

Best again
jcwit

mousegun380
March 4, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have the very same tumbler. The dust issue is not because it goes into the air but rather the cases are left extremely dusty. Like I say, the corn cob doesn't seem to do this too much but the walnut I had was a real mess.

jcwit
March 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Add a little water like walkalong suggested or try a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits. That will keep the dust down or an old used dryer towel or even a piece of rag works.

mousegun380
March 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
I will try the water - or mineral spirits sounds like it would work well. I tried the dryer sheets and they just seemed to fall apart and make things worse.

Lemme run this by you. I consider myself to be very experienced in loading pistol calibers. Loaded tens of thousands of rounds, but I have never loaded rifle calibers.

I am about to start .223, .308, 7.62 x 39. Here is my plan, see if it makes sense.

1) tumble brass
2) lube on a cookie sheet with spray lube (this is how I do .38spl because I have steel dies in that caliber)
3) decap and full length resize
4) trim, chamfer, debur, ream pocket (if necessary)
5) tumble 30 mins to remove lube
6) priming, powder, seating, and so on

Walkalong
March 4, 2010, 12:42 PM
I don't add polish every time I tumble, just when it stops working like I want. Walkalong sayes he doesI wasn't accurate. I don't always, but I usually give it a little squirt. Too much builds up in the tumbler. It combines with dust/carbon and makes a real hard "crud".

jcwit
March 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
Lemme run this by you. I consider myself to be very experienced in loading pistol calibers. Loaded tens of thousands of rounds, but I have never loaded rifle calibers.

I am about to start .223, .308, 7.62 x 39. Here is my plan, see if it makes sense.

1) tumble brass
2) lube on a cookie sheet with spray lube (this is how I do .38spl because I have steel dies in that caliber)
3) decap and full length resize
4) trim, chamfer, debur, ream pocket (if necessary)
5) tumble 30 mins to remove lube
6) priming, powder, seating, and so on

Looks good to me, not exactally how I do it but gets the job done just as good. I deprime and lube and size first then tumble. This way I don't tumble twice, some claim that this will wear out you're dies and probably so if using steel dies, but I use carbide. Some claim it will still wear out your dies but with carbide being almost as hard as a diamond and the hardest piece of dirt being a grain of sand I find it doubtful, hasn't happened yet in all the years of reloading. This for pistol brass, rifle brass I clean first.

Only problem I've ever had with dies was with steel dies.

Last week someone posted how they were using spray furniture wax as a lube on pistol brass, just to make it easier, I tried it and it worked, going to try it on some rifle brass in the short future and see how it works there. Not a recommendation just a mention.

1SOW
March 5, 2010, 12:07 AM
Using a plant spray 'mister' and wax case lube diluted with alcohol works well for handgun brass.

Like jcwit, I also use Graingers 20-40 and the Cabellas vibratory tumbler and have little or no 'dust' problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "40lbs of corn cob media $25 @ Grainger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!