Ballistics

PDA

Red3244
March 3, 2010, 11:18 PM
Where can I learn range estimation, doping the scope, wind and elevation adjustments...etc?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B24
March 4, 2010, 12:49 AM
Hey Red,

I'm sure there are other references, but I recommend buying John L. Plaster's book "The Ultimate Sniper". It's loaded with the info you're seeking... and a whole lot more. I've also read "The Art of the Rifle" (by Jeff Cooper I believe) and "Dead On" by tony M. Noblitt.

Plaster's book (1st one I mentioned) is about 550 pages and may be more than you want to spend (sorry don't remember what I paid), but loaded with good info.

Good luck.

Welding Rod
March 4, 2010, 12:53 AM
Doesn't cover range estimations, but if you really want to understand ballistics read "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz.

jpwilly
March 4, 2010, 12:54 AM
Where can I learn range estimation, doping the scope, wind and elevation adjustments...etc?

Red Rider BB gun.

Bobarino
March 4, 2010, 01:05 AM
check out snipercentral.com and snipershide.com do some searching on snipercentral and you can find all the info you need. without using a laser range finder, you can use a mil-dot scope to estimate range. the formula for that is:

target size in inches x 27.78
--------------------------------- = distance to target in yards
target size in mils

be as precise as you can with your estimation of size in inches and mils.

here's a good place to practice and test your skills. try the demo. www.shooterready.com

Red3244
March 4, 2010, 08:31 PM
Wow. Thanks fellas. Good suggestions

blitzen
March 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
Go out to a gravel pit, desert, or stump shoot in the woods. If you want to learn what you are talking about, do it. No amount of reading books or surfing the web will teach you to aim your rifle and adjust your sights accordingly. Have someone go with you if you can(to be a spotter) and call your shots, and plot your shots so you will have a record of what happned. That is the only way to learn what you are talking about. Burn some powder!!!!!!!
Shoot in the wind, shoot in the rain. Don't be a fair weather shooter. Deer and elk move in the rain, our enemys never sleep, we must learn to sleep less.

Art Eatman
March 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
I generally zero my centerfires for 200 yards and never change the setting thereafter, other than any small and occasional corrections.

Wind? Practice, I guess, particularly at guesstimating the wind speed. The tables can be helpful for inches of drift at a given distance and windspeed.

Range? Judgement from watching critters at various distances, mostly. Get used to how big is an up-close deer versus "sorta off a ways" versus "way out there". Some folks have success visualizing football fields between them and the target.

It just takes time out in the boonies, mostly.

taliv
March 5, 2010, 12:05 PM
shooterready.com

sscoyote
March 5, 2010, 05:33 PM
I learned the application of reticle-rangefinding (and downrange zeroing calcs.) and the changes in reticle measurements (subtension) when using a typical variable powered scope right out the front window of my house. There are signs at various distances along the road out to beyond 1000 yds. Just went out and measured them, and lasered them back to my front window, sort of establishing a kind of optics laboratory to test calculations--worked great till my wife sold our house for a "better" one. Here's the result of that work +-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

Astute
March 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
Try this site

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!