Pick a .38spcl snubnose

PDA

38snapcaps
March 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
I want to buy one more snubnose revolver. It will spend its life as a house gun, never carried.

I have three choices:
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
S&W 637

Which would you choose and please explain your reason.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Pick a .38spcl snubnose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jc650
March 4, 2010, 02:41 PM
I would go with the Ruger just because its a little bigger and heavier than the other ones and weight shouldnt be an issue as a house gun.

JohnBT
March 4, 2010, 02:43 PM
I would pick a big 4" revolver like a Ruger Police Service Six.

The Model 637 weighs 15 ounces according the S&W site. I have a Model 442 that weighs 15.8 ounces.

For a smaller house gun that will never be carried I would buy a Model 640 or 649. I have .357 Model 649 and it weighs 23 ounces. The added weight makes it sooooo much easier to shoot fast and to shoot accurately.

The guns on your list are fine, but I only use the 10 to 15-ounce guns for carry. Big guns kick less.

John

earlthegoat2
March 4, 2010, 02:45 PM
I would go with the Ruger just because its a little bigger and heavier than the other ones and weight shouldnt be an issue as a house gun.
I guess you are referring to the SP101?
---------------------
I too would go with the SP101 since it is not to be carried. I would opt for the 3 inch barrel as well.

Like is said in the post before why limit yourself to such small guns if they arent going to be carried. Maybe a Smith 686 or Ruger GP100 would be nicer.

rklessdriver
March 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
Our "house gun" is a 4" Smith Model 15. I agree with JohnBT that a "4" Service Revolver" is a better choice for the home. The smaller lighter guns are a compromise (of shootability) for convienence (ease of carry).

Of those you listed I'd pick the SP101 because it's slightly bigger and heavier than the others.

Will

bikerdoc
March 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
SP101, cause I like it.

RUT
March 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
Ruger SP101

RatDrall
March 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
SP101, because airweight S&Ws lack the character that their stainless sisters have.

RonBernert
March 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
A used .38 or .357 4" or 6" barrel. Leave the shubbie lightweight for your CCW. Because size and/concealability are not a concern, use something that has a looooooonnnnnnng service life.

snooperman
March 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
I have one and it would make a great carry gun or house gun as well, or a truck gun too.

Old John
March 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
I picked the Ruger SP101, .357, for my all day everyday CCW.
It rests on the nightstand beside the bed each night.
It's a good carry gun, good house gun.:)

JT'sDad
March 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
My SP101 has been with me since 1993.

38snapcaps
March 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've considered something like a M15 or GP100. My wife is a little gal with hands that knit and cross stitch and she thinks such guns are too big and barrel heavy. This is the main reason I've stayed with snubs. We did have a Bersa .380 for a while. She liked the trigger and weight but the recoil was very sharp and she hated it.

The SP101 seems to be a good compromise between an Airweight and a full size revolver. Autos are definitely out. I was explaining the operation of a Walther P99 I was considering for the home and she said, "I don't want to have to know all that stuff, can't I just point it and pull the trigger?" So revolver it is.

riceboy72
March 4, 2010, 03:26 PM
Given the options you've presented, the SP101 wins my vote. It is a well built revolver and certainly can handle any +P .38 round you choose to use, and, of course, will glady digest the venerable .357. If it's not going to be carried and weight and size are of no concern, then the SP101 is hard to beat.

DeCocker
March 4, 2010, 03:31 PM
Since weight is not an issue SP101. For a house gun, a S&W K-frame 4" barrel like a 19 or 66 would even be better.

wild cat mccane
March 4, 2010, 03:33 PM
Vote P99 back in.

No manual safety. Decock it and you have a gun just like a revolver. Both are dangerous if a kid finds it loaded. Having an empty in the next chamber wont stop them from pulling the trigger a second time.

The P99 is light, recoils nicely and has a small backstrap.

DA/SA isn't that hard to figure out. Either way its being pulled its going to fire.

I thought a revolver for the same thing. Sticking with the P99.

Water-Man
March 4, 2010, 03:36 PM
Ruger SP-101

wlewisiii
March 4, 2010, 03:38 PM
House gun? S&W Model 64. One of the many DAO trade ins. A little heavier, significantly longer barrel, reliable as it gets all for less money than the other options.

William

Iggy
March 4, 2010, 03:48 PM
For a house gun, I would choose a 4" bbl, medium framed service revolver. S&W, Colt, or Ruger in no particular order.

With service grips and possibly a Tyler T grip adapter, with .38 specials or +P's it will be a pussy cat for a gal to shoot and last forever.

W.E.G.
March 4, 2010, 04:30 PM
Glock 26 for equal or more compact package, greater capacity, faster reloads, cheaper factory-produced practice ammo, lower price, and a better grip.

I still like revolvers (a lot) - but the J-frame guns are, at best, WWII technology.
Still VERY effective, but decidedly less practical than today's alternatives.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock-G26SWM60.jpg

Somebody will remark that the Chief's Special would be smaller with scale-type grips.
OK, sure.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/G26-M60-P32comparisonhorizontal.jpg

jad0110
March 4, 2010, 05:32 PM
Of those 3, the SP101 by far, given your criteria.

If she didn't like the sharp recoil of a Bersa .380, she likely won't like the kick of a 15 oz or lighter .38 either.

If she doesn't like barrel heft, a 2"-2.5" S&W K Frame might be an option as well.

mdaniels
March 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
I am a woman with small hands. My gun experience was limited to shotguns and rifles. I had several suggestions as to what I should buy. My husband took me to the gun shop and I held as many of the guns as I possibly could and dry fired those that were able to be dry fired.

I chose the LCR and have been practicing with it, both in +P loads and wadcutters. I wouldn't want to shoot 100 rounds at a time, but I comfortably shoot 30 to 50 wadcutters and, of course, less of the +P--but I love this little gun. It is both my nightstand gun and my carry firearm.

I think it is good to have suggestions, but the proof is in the comfort of the person firing the gun.

silverking
March 4, 2010, 06:30 PM
I choose the sp101 as well. It has become my everyday carry and the nightstand gun also.

The Lone Haranguer
March 4, 2010, 06:35 PM
The SP101. Its weight will not be an issue - in fact it will help when it actually comes time to touch a round off. You might look for a 3 1/16" barrel version while you are at it.

LawofThirds
March 4, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yes, if she's having issues with a sharp recoil from a .380 bersa, then a 4" K frame is going to soak up the recoil without being overly heavy.

shockwave
March 4, 2010, 06:58 PM
I think it is good to have suggestions, but the proof is in the comfort of the person firing the gun.

Everyone will agree with that. Also, most of us have probably had the experience of finding a gun we think will fit our needs, with the right mix of caliber, size, and features we want. But on holding it in a shop and working it, testing the trigger, you discover that it isn't what you wanted at all. So there's that.

But in this discussion, I'm having a hard time mixing HD and snub-nose. A 3 to 4 inch barrel will help with accuracy and recoil management. Those can be traded off for CCW, but for HD there's no need to compromise, and smaller guns have harder recoil, so I'd look to add a bit of weight and length since size isn't a limiting factor. At least give a Ruger GP100 .327 Magnum with 4.20" barrel a tryout. It's got 7-shot capacity, and will fire .38 spl comfortably with extreme accuracy.

jc650
March 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
Earlthegoat2

Indeed thats the one I was talkin about. Total brain fart and forgot the LCR was a Ruger too!

Nick5182
March 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
I'd go with the sp101. Since you're not going to be carrying it, the weight won't be a problem, and will help with the recoil.

ironvic
March 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'd pick any one of three: the S&W Model 642, 442 or a Model 60 in any of its iterations.

If you want heavy metal, go with a S&W 686 Plus with the 2 1/2" barrel. Of course, any snubby's a good snubby.

frankiestoys
March 4, 2010, 07:31 PM
The sp is a great gun and would make a fine house gun, the 2 inch is more accurate then most other 2'' snubs plus its weight off sets recoil alot. I carry mine sometimes so inspite of what some guys say you can , just get the right gear.

bobelk99
March 4, 2010, 08:00 PM
S&W, because it is light and easily stored and handled.

Your list are all good dependable guns that would meet your needs.

Onward Allusion
March 4, 2010, 08:36 PM
I would NEVER recommend a .38 Special snubnose as a house gun. 2" barrels have harsher recoil and cause "flipping". Go with something with a 4" barrel. Better yet - something with a full lug and load it with +P.

If I was in the market for a house gun, my top choices would be a Taurus 608 or a S&W 327.

38snapcaps (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=3060)
Pick a .38spcl snubnose
I want to buy one more snubnose revolver. It will spend its life as a house gun, never carried.

I have three choices:
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
S&W 637

Thanks

Onward Allusion
March 4, 2010, 08:43 PM
All the more reason for a heavier gun. Has she ever shot a 2" barrel lightweight .38 Special? If she didn't like the recoil of a Bersa .380, she is not going to like the recoil from a 2" .38 Spl.

38snapcaps (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=3060)
<SNIP>My wife is a little gal with hands that knit and cross stitch and she thinks such guns are too big and barrel heavy. This is the main reason I've stayed with snubs. We did have a Bersa .380 for a while. She liked the trigger and weight but the recoil was very sharp and she hated it.<SNIP>

WmCC
March 4, 2010, 08:48 PM
Smith. Much stronger than a 101.

Girodin
March 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
The recoil of a very light snub (like an air weight or a LCR) will be much more objectionable than a bersa .380.

BossHogg
March 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
OK, this must be a trick question. I don't see why a snubnose would be used for HD only.Go with a nice four inch used .38 of your choice. To many choices to offer up +p or standard .38 spl. would do the job quite well. One more thing go with 6 shot over 5 shot.
Good luck on your search let use know what you get. On your list a 3in SP 101 in .38 should do fine.

frankiestoys
March 4, 2010, 09:41 PM
Smith. Much stronger than a 101.
The recoil on the sp is far lighter then my 642 and its also more accurate,
and tell me what Smith in a snub is stronger then the SP :scrutiny:? I own several Smiths and yes there great guns but you could run the Ruger over with a tank and it would still work.:neener:

The Bushmaster
March 4, 2010, 09:43 PM
If that's all I had to choose from, I'd pick the SP101. My prefered carry is my Mod 19-5 Nickel Combat Magnum with 2 1/2" barrel.

jad0110
March 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
OK, this must be a trick question. I don't see why a snubnose would be used for HD only.

Because the OP stated this in a previous post:

I've considered something like a M15 or GP100. My wife is a little gal with hands that knit and cross stitch and she thinks such guns are too big and barrel heavy. This is the main reason I've stayed with snubs.

I would NEVER recommend a .38 Special snubnose as a house gun. 2" barrels have harsher recoil and cause "flipping". Go with something with a 4" barrel. Better yet - something with a full lug and load it with +P.

Well, it depends on the snub. A 2" steel K Frame, like my S&W Model 15, has barely (if any) more felt recoil than my 4" Model 15. A little more muzzle flip, yes, but not objectionable at all. Though I prefer a 4" barrel for home protection, some prefer a snub because they are a smidge more difficult for a badguy to grab onto. And although my 2" Model 15 and no lug 4" 15 have a bit more muzzle rise than my full underlug 4" 686, the 15s are easier to transition between targets because they have less inertia; they are easier for some folks to start and stop.

It's a preference thing.

Being that an SP101 doesn't way much less than a 2" K Frame, the recoil should be pretty manageable, especially with properly fitting stocks.

Guillermo
March 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Of the choices I would get the Ruger but DO NOT BUY IT IN .38!

Get the .357. You can shoot .38s out of it and it is a more versatile, more marketable weapon.

It is the same gun, but more.

oldfool
March 5, 2010, 07:22 AM
another vote for the SP101 w/ 3" barrel
(milady's favorite)
shootable, pointable, rugged, reliable, accurate, built to last "forever"

PS
can eat 357 forever, but suggest no hotter than 38+P "indoors"
whole lot of boom-n-flash out of just 3" you know

halfded
March 5, 2010, 07:53 AM
I've said it before and I"ll say it again; look into Taurus. Lifetime warranty and mine's got a better DA trigger than any Smith I've ever owned.

And for all those guys that want to bash Taurus, S&W hasn't been so hot on the QC front these days either.

Guillermo
March 5, 2010, 09:46 AM
for all those guys that want to bash Taurus

don't count me in that group. Were I in the new market the only Ruger that interests me is the SP101 .357. (It really is a cool "midsized" revolver that would make a great "house gun")
Beyond that I would look to Taurus before I looked to Smith.

HexHead
March 5, 2010, 10:07 AM
S&W Model 10, 4". They're pretty easy to find for around $200.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/misc/DSC_0001-1.jpg

Makes a great house gun.

John Wayne
March 5, 2010, 10:35 AM
Get one of the K-frame police trade-ins from J&G sales. Lots of model 64s, 15s, etc. available that would be great for the task. Why limit yourself to a snubnose if you're never going to carry it? Nobody picks a snubnose because of its excellent ballistics or because it's fun to shoot; they're only popular because they're easy to conceal.

A model 15, for example, will have a higher velocity, full length ejector rod, be more controllable and have a trigger a hundred times better than a small lightweight revolver. Not to mention that they're dirt cheap as well, in the $200-$300 range depending on model and condition. If you get an adjustable sight model, you can change out the front and rear sights to suit your taste. Fixed sights are good on a carry gun, but they're not the most precise things.

toivo
March 6, 2010, 03:32 AM
Get one of the K-frame police trade-ins from J&G sales. Lots of model 64s, 15s, etc. available that would be great for the task.

What he said. If she didn't like the Bersa .380, she won't like the snubnose. Here's my 64 from J&G, with Ajax faux-ivory grips in place of the beat-to-hell Hogues that it came with:

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/tomi245/DSCF0287.jpg

It's my nightstand gun, but it goes to the range every once in a while. Even with those slim (and slippery) grips, it's surprisingly easy to point and shoot.

M&PVolk
March 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
All three of your choices would make excellent guns for you. I have spent time with a 637 and the SP101. I really like both and would choose the 637 for carry and the SP101 for home.

Having said that, I agree with the others that there are better choices than a snub nose revolver for home defense. I like a shotgun or AR 15, myself, but would go with a higher capacity semi-auto in a handgun situation for home defense. I like big revolvers, but prefer them more for woods/outdoors animal protection than for home defense.

aHFo3
March 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
I second the S&W 64 from JG Sales.

jglcolosprgs
March 6, 2010, 06:41 PM
See my post below.. I answered your question there...

Old Shooter
March 6, 2010, 06:52 PM
Of your choices I'd go for the SP101.

Personally, I'd look for a 4" HB Smith but that just reflects my preference for older (pre-lock) S&W revolvers.

The SP101 will serve you well.

hoptob
March 6, 2010, 07:09 PM
It sounds from your description that your wife is not an experienced shooter. Light snubs are considered among more difficult guns to shoot especially for a novice. Did she shoot any of the guns on your list? If she did not, you should take her to a range and let her try. I am thinking she'd warm up to heavier frames like K or L. If 4" bbl is too heavy for her, current production 686 is available with 2-1/2 and 3" barrels; GP100 -- with 3" bbl. There's also any number of very nice old revolvers that are much more suitable for home defense and a lot easier to shoot.

Mike

jahwarrior
March 6, 2010, 07:15 PM
why would you pick a small framed revovler for a home defense gun? those are for carrying, more than anything. if your wife needs a gun for the house, and she's recoil sensitive, then i'd get a 3" or 4" SP101, in .38 Special.

better yet, take her to the range, rent a bunch of guns, and have her pick one. 9 times out of 10, if you buy it for her, she won't like it.

jglcolosprgs
March 6, 2010, 07:47 PM

I have three choices:
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
S&W 637

Thanks
The SP101 - of the ones you listed.

Bellevance
March 6, 2010, 08:26 PM
For a house gun, get a sturdy 4-inch K-frame, a Model 15 or a 19. My house gun is a 19-4 in the desk drawer. Snubs are designed for carry, not HD, and they're harder to shoot with accuracy. A heavier gun affords less recoil and faster follow-ups.

Blue Brick
March 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
Look at Speed Six.

DC3-CVN-72
March 6, 2010, 10:19 PM
I vote RUGER SP-101. :)

ChristopherG
March 6, 2010, 11:30 PM
A Smith & Wesson K frame like the model 10 (or 64 or a few others) can be got with a thin 4" barrel or with a 2.5" barrel. Grips can be got or modified to suit your wife's hand.

The weight that she doesn't like when just holding the gun will pay off when she actually shoots it. New shooters commonly (and understandably) think that a gun that points easily is going to be easier to shoot. It's not.

Also, the trigger mechanism of a K-frame is different from that of a smaller revolver--and the K frame can be made (through nothing more complex than shooting and dryfire) to be a smoother trigger pull than any J frame (or any Ruger) will ever be.

NotSoFast
March 7, 2010, 12:45 AM
Sp101. I just bought mine. It is rugged, relatively heavy and reasonably priced.

I would suggest, however, that you buy the .357 magnum 3 1/16" barrel version if you're buying new. You can still shoot .38 specials in it, but you can't shoot .357 magnum in the .38 special version.

Just sayin'.

Guillermo
March 7, 2010, 09:54 AM
While I agree that a 4 inch revolver is a superior house gun, remember that the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.

My elderly mother told me that she would not bother carrying a large heavy gun to investigate a noise in the house.

Understanding this I got her a lightweight snub. It rode around in a pocket, sometimes sat on the coffee table. Of course if she needed it the first shot had better count because she would have to go look for it before she shot again.

Ideal? Heck no. But at least it was more often on hand than if I would have gotten her what she could shoot well

bannockburn
March 7, 2010, 10:12 AM
From your list, I would opt for the SP-101.

From my own list, I would go with a S&W Model 10, 4" barrel, (or any K frame derivitive that you like); or a Ruger Service Six, 4" barrel, (or else a Security Six).

BlayGlock
March 7, 2010, 10:26 AM
House gun never carried eh? The SP101 would be choice because of it weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pick a .38spcl snubnose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!