2k budget and a .44mag to pick

PDA

lykoris
March 4, 2010, 03:04 PM
what would you buy??

If you enjoyed reading about "2k budget and a .44mag to pick" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
March 4, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'd see if I could find a Mateba for that amount.

Or something in 629 flavor from the Performance Center.

Jim Watson
March 4, 2010, 04:01 PM
M29, M629, or Redhawk and a reloading setup so you can work your way up in power.

If you already have that stuff and are wanting a bunch of strangers to help you spend your money, $2000 is low to moderate custom. I'd look at having H. Bowen make a Ruger Flattop Reissue really nice. Even though they are kickers that I would shoot 99% at .44 Special - .45 Colt ballistics.

Quoheleth
March 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
[falling all over myself]...

Two Large???

Man, for $2000, I would buy a Ruger Blackhawk, a Ruger Redhawk, and a Smith Classic 29 plus a pot-wad of bullets and get busy learning my THREE new guns. I haven't priced the Classic 29, so if those three go over budget, drop the Redhawk.

But, you see, I'm practical and that would be a practical choice.

Q

Buck Snort
March 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
The Freedom Arms Model 83 might fit into that budget.

Arkansas Paul
March 4, 2010, 04:42 PM
If I were going to spend the entire $2k on a handgun, I would go Freedom Arms. If you planned on scoping it, and had a total budget of $2k, I'd go with a Super Redhawk and a Leupold scope. You could set yourself up to reload if you don't already as well and still have room in the budget for components.

kludge
March 4, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hmmmm...

A brace of Blackhawks with L/R serial numbers + leather.

or...

A 4" Redhawk and a 7.5" Redhawk Hunter + Scope.

or...

A 4.5" Super Blackhawk and a 16" Trapper lever action.

19-3Ben
March 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
Redhawk + Customization/gunsmithing.

rha600
March 4, 2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=760579&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
and lots of ammo

or

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=65452&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
and a bit less ammo.

Ric
March 4, 2010, 07:22 PM
Freedom Arms or maybe send something else to Bowen..............and a lot of reloading supplies ;)

KCAce
March 4, 2010, 07:43 PM
Been thinking about a .44 myself, and really like Freedom Arms. Anaconda is good choice, too, though, and costs a bit less.

almostfree
March 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
I would get a pre-lock S&W 629, a good holster, and a lot of ammo.

batmann
March 4, 2010, 08:02 PM
If you can't decide to spend it all on one gun and Freedom Arms is my choice there, I would get a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter and a ton of ammo. Second would be a S&W 6" 629. Both are good guns and you will shoot the heck out either one.
Actually, for that kind of money you could get BOTH, but change the Smith to a 4" and you would cover all the bases.

SGTB802
March 4, 2010, 09:08 PM
first i wouldnt buy a 44 lol id buy a ruger superhawk in 454 less recoil than a 44 in my opion i do not shoot a 44 well due to the sharpness of the recoil but ive killed coyotes at 125 yards with my scoped redhawk and i have less than 1200 in the whole setup including reloading supplys

buck460XVR
March 4, 2010, 10:14 PM
I'd get a PC M629, a 77/44, spend whats left over on brass and bullets and die with a smile on my face........

jad0110
March 4, 2010, 10:22 PM
Man, I wish I was in your position!

If I had $2k to spend on a .44 Mag, I'd pick up a 3.5" or 4" Model 29 (pre-lock) for around $700-$800, then use the remaining $1200 or so to buy a 3.5" or 5" Model 27 .357 with some change leftover for ammo or holsters.

joed
March 4, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'd get a S&W 629 or 29 and save a lot of money. I have a few of the S&W N frames.

LightningMan
March 4, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'd go for the Freedom Arms, but would step up to a .454 casull rather than a .44 mag. Just my choice, LM.

bogus mcall
March 4, 2010, 11:49 PM
I would buy a S&W 629 and a marlin 1894, then spend the rest on reloading supplys. I did it and couldnt be happier,

BCRider
March 4, 2010, 11:53 PM
If this is for range grins and giggles then $2k is far more than you need to spend. If it's for a serious hunting handgun then I'd go for a longer barrel Performance Center gun and a nice scope to go with it and you'll end up spending a goodly amount of that $2k I suspect. But there will very likely be enough left to set up for reloading for it.

If it's a grins and giggles gun then factor in the gun plus a reloading setup and you'll be well under the $2K. The larger handgun calibers really come into their own for variety and fun when you can play with the reloads to go for a recipe that suits your own tastes and needs. Shoot for maximum show? Then pick a powder and bullet weight that maximizes the fireball out the muzzle. Shooting for accuracy? Play with the various bullets, both hardcast and jacketed, to find just the right load that works best with the rifling twist to achieve the best accuracy and that gives you the amount of recoil you want.

For myself I'm a huge S&W fan but for a heavy hitter like .44Mag I'm thinking that a Redhawk with the 5.5 inch barrel look right and would take all the experimental "Ruger only" loads that I want to play with. But I have to admit that the deep, dark as night bottomless gleam of a pristine Model 29 sure does pluck at my heart.

warnerwh
March 4, 2010, 11:55 PM
+1 You're going to need to reload or have lots of money for ammo because even .44 ammo is very expensive. For me at one sitting that would cost 66.00 for a trip to the range for the .44 magnum. A load matching a jacketed load from Bi Mart would cost me 19.00.
The .454 or .45 Long Colt ammo is even more expensive. Shooting a load that is a mid power or light load is more fun than shooting max or near max loads because it isn't as much punishment and you can shoot more.

Surefire
March 4, 2010, 11:56 PM
Rather than blow a huge amount of cash on ONE revolver... if it was me...

I would just pickup a Ruger Bisley Hunter, and a Ruger Super Redhawk.

For 2k, you get IMO two VERY NICE revolvers, and still have enough $$$ left over to buy some ammo.

BCRider
March 5, 2010, 12:03 AM
If he's thinking about $2K it sounds like money isn't really a big issue. Instead I mentioned reloading more because it's about getting the maximum fun and flexibility out of the big wheelguns. I'm learning this with my .38Spl/.357Mag guns at the moment what with having no less than 5 revolvers and one lever gun that all shoot the same size. I recently got into reloading for them. The key goal was to set myself up with some ammo for my CAS events and that also worked with my .38Spl only Model 10. But now I'm playing with different powders and bullets for .357Mag. I've already found that there's the full pull near max loads that I like from my lever gun and the Model 28. But shooting one of those out of my 19 was a bit much. My hand was OK but I guess I'm a bit concerned for the gun. However a slightly toned down load for the 19 resulted in 12.2 to 12.4 grns of 2400 behind a Speer 158 JHP which feels great on the hand, so no worrys about the gun, and produces a nicely satisfying fireball.

But the goal of this isn't to spout off about my .357Mag experience but to point out just how important loading your own is for getting the most and best out of the big bore revolvers. And the .44Mag definetly qualifies on this count.

Oh, and for all that I'm expounding on the fun factor it sure doesn't hurt that I'm able to reload for far less than 1/2 the cost.... :D

clang
March 5, 2010, 12:33 AM
I would by a Colt Anaconda and use the rest of my money on ammo/reloading. If I had to blow it all on one gun, I would look for a nice S&W pre-29 in the black presentation case.

millertyme
March 5, 2010, 12:37 AM
If only I had more problems like this. Seeing that this is in the revolver section, I'm guessing you are targeting wheelguns, but I'd buy a Desert Eagle MKXIX with a 10" and standard length barrel. Then use whatever was left over to find out what handloads will reliably cycle all the time.

Wingnut13
March 5, 2010, 01:02 AM
M-time,

You beat me to the punch..... I was about to state the same.

I've currently got a Redhawk in the local shops safe awaiting final payment. 4" and I would like to try a docter sight on it.

XxWINxX94
March 5, 2010, 09:25 AM
Colt Anaconda with the 8'' barrel.

Dravur
March 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Get the .44 Howdah Pistol! :)

19-3Ben
March 5, 2010, 10:25 AM
I didn't have much chance to write yesterday so I only gave a very quick reply.
I'll explain here.

I'd go with the Ruger Redhawk and some customization.
The redhawk is an awesome platform. Super robust, points well, heavy enough to soak up recoil, basically everything a .44mag should be.

So you get the Redhawk (let's say $650-700?). Then, get a trigger job, refinish, new sights, dehorn, chamfer chambers, recrown, nice grips, basically everything you could want for another $500-700. So far you are still only $1150-1400 in the hole depending on which work you want done and at what price.

You end up with an outstanding firearm, that is customized to be exactly what you want. And you still have enough money left over for a reloading set-up, scope+ammo, or just a bunch of ammo.
It's really an epic win all the way around.

NMGonzo
March 5, 2010, 01:14 PM
A ruger blackhawk and a ruger alaskan.

RDCL
March 5, 2010, 05:56 PM
2K should get you TWO pre-lock* S&W modfels 29's. Heck you could get one one in blue and one in stainless......cool:)

* it's not so much the lock that bothers me......I hate the re-designed hammers!:cuss:

Russ

ArchAngelCD
March 6, 2010, 04:33 AM
How will this .44 Magnum be used??? IMO that's important...

45Frank
March 6, 2010, 08:41 AM
What Quoheleth and other have said. Unless you have money like this all the time why just one.
Unless you're into series target shooting that's a lot for just one gun, unless you have it.

Mark F
March 6, 2010, 08:59 AM
The 629-6 Performance Center at the bottom will pretty much consume your budget, especially if you scope it. It's a worthy investment though.

http://tech.flygsw.org/44magnums.jpg

You can get a new 629-5 Classic for about 900.00 to 1200.00. Great revolver! Deadly accurate.

Finally (top photo), you can always pick up a Ruger. You'll save a ton of money and it's just as accurate as the S&W's. It'll also be able to shoot hotter loads than the S&W's.

As you can tell, I like 44 Magnums. I have a total of 7.

hardluk1
March 6, 2010, 10:36 AM
Buy a Dan Wesson Pistol pack. For that kind of money ,maybe a 357,and a 44 PP along with a load of ammo too.

lojax
March 6, 2010, 11:04 AM
nothing better than a freedom arms

lykoris
March 6, 2010, 11:52 AM
thanks for all the suggestions it has given me a lot to think about these past few days.

I reload and will definitely be working up to 44mag when I get 'it'.

I put the funds into a rifle this weekend as I still can't make my mind up and am not one to rush a decision in purchasing a firearm especially as it will be my first in this calibre.

Arkansas Paul
March 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
It sure is fun trying to figure out what to do though isn't it?

lykoris
March 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure I'd necessarily call it fun.

It all started with a friends 629 and since I can't stop thinking about what a sweeeet calibre the 44 special is...but didn't like 44mag in it.

Magnumite
March 6, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'd get a Model 63 or K-17 S&W for 22lr work and a Ruger Redhawk or an underlug barreled SS M629 S&W.

Then buy holsters, belt and a good reloading setup with components

Arkansas Paul
March 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
Don't leave us in suspense. What rifle did you get?

lykoris
March 6, 2010, 06:17 PM
I didn't walk out with it....as we've deposits and paperwork to go through here for registration purposes...takes 2-3 months :(

R93 professional in .308win, I liked the wood but then thought it would be more practical to go composite as it will be abused.

And knowing me I would ding the wooden stock and cry about it for weeks :rolleyes:

Dain Bramage
March 6, 2010, 06:30 PM
S&W Stealth Hunter from the Performance Center.

Arkansas Paul
March 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
2-3 months. Wow!
I feel the same way about the wood vs composite. I love the look of wood, but I'd hate to scratch a beautiful rifle. My hunting rifles are composite.

If you enjoyed reading about "2k budget and a .44mag to pick" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!