Good .45 for under $1k?

PDA

Enachos
March 4, 2010, 06:16 PM
A good buddy of mine who just got back from Iraq finally turned 21 this past Monday and is looking to make his first handgun purchase. Specifically he's looking for something chambered in .45 ACP. What pistol would you reccomend? Glock, Sig, 1911, XD, etc...? He's doesn't really know of any brands and models so I'm trying to keep him from going out and buying something simply because it looks good. Friends don't let friends buy crappy guns. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Good .45 for under $1k?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
March 4, 2010, 06:21 PM
He needs to get to a range and shoot some. There are some big differences between the models you are suggesting. All of the guns you named are good guns.

Enachos
March 4, 2010, 07:01 PM
Well i was really just wondering what you would buy if you were in that situation. I can name all sorts of guns for him but I'd just like to be specific on models. I suggested a glock simply cuz I'm a glock guy. But what would you reccommend?

The Lone Haranguer
March 4, 2010, 07:05 PM
Sig p220 sao.

mljdeckard
March 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
When I first got out of the army, my first gun was a Taurus T-92. I liked it at the time, but I have since grown far away from the Beretta/Taurus. Seriously I hate them now when I have to shoot them.

I got a 1911, it was an Auto-Ordnance, and it was terrible. I shot some nicer 1911s, but I couldn't talk myself into shelling out for anything other than a used base model. (The base models then weren't as good as say, Norincos are now.) I carried a Glock .40 for years, and it wasn't bad, I had a Sigma, a Sig, a Hi-Power .40, etc before I tried a 1911 again. I realized that a decent 1911 has the feel and trigger that works best for me. I can shoot just about anything pretty well, but I don't ever see myself switching from a 1911.

What I think really means less than squat to your friend. I won't be shooting to save his life. HE will. He might like something now, and as his skill and experience evolves, he might change his mind later. The only way to know is to try as many different guns as possible.

JoeSlomo
March 4, 2010, 07:12 PM
STI spartan.

Dawson precision has em' around $600 ish, and may give you a military discount.

Isher
March 4, 2010, 07:17 PM
Might look at the CZ97b.

Definitely a full sized weapon,

But it sure shoots sweet.

isher

cavman
March 4, 2010, 07:42 PM
I will have to echo mljdeckard. The fit in his hand is what it really is all about.

For me the 1911 is my hand. I don't have any that are under $1,000 so I am not sure what to advise.

Although I have what is considered "large" hands, nearly everyone that I take out who has not shot before loves and prefers my 1911s. They are heavier than the plastic polymers and when shooting the steel, they seem to prefer them to my S&W M41 ,22s; even the girls, (sexism aside).

So, that is my two cents.

One of my hardball guns is a Colt 70. They can be found for under $1,000. Granted mine has been made over by a master smith, Clark Sr., but I really love the trigger control that only comes with a 1911.

If your friend wants a "feel", I would get him a 1911.

ps Happy Birthday to your buddy, and tell him the members of THR welcomes him back.

toxicity
March 4, 2010, 07:43 PM
1911 officers model. Been using and carring one for 18yrs. I have a Kimber in SS, Colt, and a Charles Daly in SS. They all function, fire, and group in an almost identical manner. No one pistol really stands out of the three. The least exspensive of the 3 is the Daly and it is on par with the others when shooting identical ammo. The Kimber is their bare bones basic model with all stock parts and is slightly more used than my Colt and Daly but not any better dispite its price.

Prion
March 4, 2010, 07:49 PM
S&W M&P45, Sig P220, or HK USP45.

Enachos
March 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Mljdeckard,

That is exactly how I'm thinking. I got another buddy who's in the army and went and purchased his first .45. It just so happened to be a Taurus 24/7 and he regrets everything about it. Which is exactly what I'm trying to sway Jeremy from. I'm not exactly sure why he is so firm on a .45 but if that's what he wants then that's all i need to know. I'm almost sure he's gonna go for a 1911 cuz he's just one of those guys... and since i don't own a 1911 I don't really know what to sway him towards.

JoeSlomo,

That is a beautiful gun! I've never even heard of those before. I'm gonna have to check one out for myself now. That's one hell of a price. How is it in terms of reliability?

cavman
March 4, 2010, 08:10 PM
Enachos, you then also might like STI's video of the 1911 in action

http://www.m1911.org/STI1911animation.htm

Click "Hide Frame" and "Hide Safety" and you will see that little interface between sear and hammer that makes the 1911 soooo sweet.

230therapy
March 4, 2010, 08:20 PM
Compact:

Kahr K45
Glock 36

Compactish models:

S&W M&P 45 Compact
Springfield XD 45 Compact
Glock 30 SF
HK USP 45 Compact

(In increasing size)
Sig P220
Glock 21 SF
Springfield XD 45
FN FNP 45
HK

Not sure where the CZ falls since I haven't measured one. They're quite big.

Remember, the first gun requires holsters, mag holders, extra magazines, ammo, solid belt and cleaning stuff.

Get a 1911 if he wants to have a relationship with his gun and he has enough money to make sure it works.

Don't forget revolvers! The S&W 625 is a great gun. Either get one with the lock and buy "THE PLUG" (see the S&W Forum) or get an older 625 or Model 25.

gwnorth
March 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
If it was me, and you were set on a .45acp, it would be a 1911 (my preference is stainless Colt's - I got a factory new 1991a1 combat commander recently for $879.99, which was the best price among the 5 best known gun shops near me). Or, a SIG P220 which, depending on specific model choice can come in below your limit of $1000. One shop near me has a P220 Combat (for $1049.00), which I love the look of but not sure a chrome barrel and phosphated internals is worth the premium price (to me at least, others may think it worth the $).

Confederate
March 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
1911s are a bit long in the tooth as far as design is concerned. They're horribly overpriced and many come out of the box needing work to make them reliable.

I've got a Sig, S&W 645 and I've shot a Glock, and all these are better choices in my opinion. (My favorite is the 645, which unfortunately isn't made anymore.) If your buddy is extremely competent, the Glock is extremely reliable. The Sig is reliable and has a great, modern design, but I just don't like the feel of it as well.

It does have the advantage of still being made.

Locnar
March 4, 2010, 08:30 PM
I would highly recommend a Springfield XD .45acp. Extremely reliable, hella fun to shoot, and surprisingly accurate.

If I could do it all over again, I would get the 4" barrel with the subcompact grip. I currently own the 4" with a full sized grip, and it has an irritating habit of printing unless I'm careful.

Mr. T
March 4, 2010, 08:51 PM
I bought a Springfield XD in .45 ACP and I LOVE mine so much that I bought another one in 9mm for my wife and she's loving hers. Excellent guns for the price. The .45 ACP I bought at Gander Mountain for a little under $600 and the 9mm I bought at an "Evil" gun show for $535. I think I got a better price on the 9mm because the XD-M had just come out. The regular XD's are just GOOD reliable guns. We've fired probably around 1000 rounds through each and haven't had so much as a hiccup in either one. They go bang every time and continue to go bang everytime we pull the trigger. :)

JTQ
March 4, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have a S&W 4506 and a Colt 1911 Combat Elite, both bought new in the very early "90's. Both are fine pistols, but I prefer the feel of the Colt. The 4506 is a whopper.

There are lots of good makers of 1911's out there, but if you become a 1911 fan you will always want at least one Colt in your collection no matter how many you have. I like the Series 70 Reproduction or the Commander (Model 04691).

I also like the Ruger .45's, both the P90 and P345. Both are solid pistols. The P345 feels good in my hands much like my Colt.

Oro
March 4, 2010, 09:25 PM
Current Colt's are out-of-the-box excellent. I would highly recommend the O1991 Government Model - and at $730 shipped it's a great price on the real-deal.

tactikel
March 4, 2010, 09:40 PM
+1 on the Springfield XD-45. I have 5K rounds thru mine, no problems, NO jams with ball or JHP rounds. 13+1 of .45 acp is very nice.

NOLAEMT
March 4, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hk usp 45

PAPACHUCK
March 4, 2010, 09:54 PM
Another +1 for the XD45. I bought a 5" Tactical a few years ago and it's now been 100% thru at least 5K. I liked it so much I bought a XD9sc, and then a XD45c 4".

Very impressed with it's ergonomics and accuracy, and 14rds of 230gr on tap.

You can buy a XD45 with NS and SS, plus a bunch of ammo for $1K.

wtfd661
March 4, 2010, 09:55 PM
I off duty carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II as my main CC gun. I have a Kimber TLE II that is a great gun.

My dept issued gun is a Sig P220.

Of the 3 I would say my favorite one to shoot is the Kimber TLE II, damn accurate and very easy/soft to shoot. The Tactical Ultra II, being a 3 inch barrel with a 1/4" less grip is a little easier to CC and is just about as accurate as the full size.

Tell your buddy, Thanks for his service.

rklessdriver
March 4, 2010, 10:16 PM
When I got back from my first tour - I was a lot like your friend. I had $$$ and wanted a nice pistol. I bought a fairly expensive well know brand 1911. Even thou I was in love with its appearance, I got nothing but heart break with it's constant problems.

Fast forward to 5 years later and my grandmother passed away. I took $1000 of my inheritence, determined to buy a 1911 worthy. I then turned to the legend and bought this....

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Weapons/ColtCombatElite.jpg

COLT Combat Elite. Ran perfect out of the box, feels right and is very accurate. "Looks good" too.
Will

buck460XVR
March 4, 2010, 10:20 PM
Current Colt's are out-of-the-box excellent. I would highly recommend the O1991 Government Model - and at $730 shipped it's a great price on the real-deal.

+1....and stainless pony ain't much more.

orionengnr
March 4, 2010, 10:26 PM
I have owned upwards of 20 1911s in the last 25 years, and just recently breached the $1000 barrier (just barely) to buy a used Les Baer.

If you are willing to buy used, there are tons of great 1911s for very reasonable prices. I have only bought two brand new, and none recently. For example, I have bought eight used Kimbers so far and have never paid more than $850. Never found a bad one yet, so I'm still buying them.

If he is active duty or retired military, he can buy any brand new S&W, including a nice variety of 1911s for 60% of MSRP, which will put him in a very nice, brandy-new 1911 for ~ $800.

Enachos
March 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
... I know i started this thread to get ideas for my friend... but I think you guys just convinced me to purchase an STI 1911

Enachos
March 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
Orionengnr,

He is in the National Gaurd (11B). I'm gonna make sure i mention something about military discounts! By the looks of it he's more than likely gonna settle for a 1911... I wish my first purchase could've been a 1911

NJGunOwner81
March 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hey Enachos,

If you've read any of my posts you'll see that I am a firm steadfast Kimber man and I'll defend them to my death! So, if $1,000 is your upper limit I'd say save another $200 and get a premier 1911 like my Kimber Stainless II. Which functions flawlessly for me AND looks like a million bucks ... classy you know what I mean?

... BUT ...

If you're putting your foot down at $1,000 ... which is fine because you have to cut it off and say enough is enough at some point. I'm going to try to sell you on a GREAT gun with HUGE potential!

THE SIG P250
http://i47.tinypic.com/2a98msw.jpg

Now here is a gun with great potential! Is it a 45? Yes! but it also has the potential to be a 40, or a 9MM, or a 357Sig.

Interchangeable grips in three sizes! Interchangeable trigger ... standard or short! Interchangeable Barrels and Slide assemblies let you change caliber! One gun fits all!

And I don't think anyone would challenge that Sig Sauer has a fantastic reputation! Wanna know the best part??? I got mine ... BRAND NEW for a little under $600! It's a nice piece! Hope this helps!!! Let us know how it turns out!

Take Care and Be Safe!

Frank
NJGunOwner81

G27RR
March 5, 2010, 12:28 AM
Either a Springfield XD .45 tactical or Colt Defender would be my choice in that price range.

Kevin77
March 5, 2010, 12:38 AM
I'll probably get some flack for this but I have a Taurus 1911 and I love it. It shoots great and was way under $1000. I have never had a malfunction of any kind.

bds
March 5, 2010, 12:45 AM
Be a friend and toss in a $100 so he can buy a STI Trojan - All USA made STI parts.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/Trojan50.php

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/images/Trojan50_Main.jpg

ironduke
March 5, 2010, 07:57 AM
HK USP Compact

JeffsJeep04
March 5, 2010, 03:57 PM
1911s are a bit long in the tooth as far as design is concerned. They're horribly overpriced and many come out of the box needing work to make them reliable.

I've got a Sig, S&W 645 and I've shot a Glock, and all these are better choices in my opinion. (My favorite is the 645, which unfortunately isn't made anymore.) If your buddy is extremely competent, the Glock is extremely reliable. The Sig is reliable and has a great, modern design, but I just don't like the feel of it as well.

It does have the advantage of still being made.
Eh?

I paid $440 for my RIA tactical 1911 and it's been completely trouble free and accurate.

jimmyraythomason
March 5, 2010, 03:59 PM
I am very happy with my Ruger P-90. If your friend wants a double action this one will leave money for ammo.

Sheepdog1968
March 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
You have to try them out and see what feels good in the hand to shoot.
My personal favorites are the Sigs and I especially like the 220 however I would give serious consideration to the P250 given it can be made into other sizes and calibers.

The use also becomes important. If it's going to go to the range and sit on the nightstand, any weight gun is fine. If you have to carry it around all day then I'd consider a plactic gun.

Used 1911s are a good way to go. I like the Les Baer's if you can find one used in your price range. I'd also give a serious look at the Ed Brown's. They are no nonsense reliable fighting weapons.

amstaffHK
March 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
I bought this for under $1,000 about $650 but after maintenance(replaced all springs and a light about $800). SOrry about the crappy pic.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/amstaffHK/100_0546.jpg?t=1267833227

2K down it.Deals are out there if you can find em, new its around $950-$1100 on CDNN from what ive seen lately.. Hope you find the right one, it always comes down to how you feel with it in your hand imo. GL :)

Mr. Bojangles
March 6, 2010, 08:03 AM
Definitely try a Sig p220.

jim243
March 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
I like that STI, but if you can find an all stainless steel Kimber NOT one of their plastic or aluminimum POS, you can't go wrong.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_0789.jpg

Jim

riceboy72
March 6, 2010, 02:31 PM
I love my Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator. My girlfriend also carries one as her duty pistol, and is dead nuts accurate with it. I hate to say it, but I like it better than the three series I Kimbers that I've owned. I was able to get it for under $1000 out the door with tax, too.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/riceboy72/SDC14462.jpg?t=1267903742

Free2game
March 6, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'd say an HK45, it's hovering a bit over that 1k price a lot of the time though.

searcher451
March 6, 2010, 02:51 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=508867

The SW99 makes a terrific pistol, and you can usually get them at terrific prices as well -- a win-win for sure.

sho'nuff
March 7, 2010, 02:03 AM
sig p220

Autolycus
March 7, 2010, 02:12 AM
I would say either a Glock 21 or an HK of any type.

rskent
March 7, 2010, 06:28 AM
Itís hard to go wrong with a colt.
Steve

Bullseye_shooter
March 15, 2010, 12:21 AM
get something simple and reliable
i do think a .45 glock is a little to big of a boom
Tell him to get an H&K .45 NOT THE USP

sourdough44
March 15, 2010, 05:33 AM
He should get an HK-45 compact. He will never have 'buyer's remorse'.

Old Shooter
March 15, 2010, 07:48 AM
My suggestion is a Colt Commander, either blue or stainless for his FIRST 45.

You don't really think he's gonna stop at just one do you?

Simmy952
March 15, 2010, 07:55 AM
+1 for riceboy. Just picked up a LW operator myself at a show. Had about 100 rds through it. LW frame makes the gun very nice to handle and shoot. Love mine so far. Nice to carry with a K&D holster. I also like the S&W M&P .45. Adjustable backs make the gun very comfortable to shoot. Very reliable. Still have some coin left in your pocket for other stuff.

NMGonzo
March 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
Why not used?

You can get pretty much ANYTHING you wish for in that category for a $1000.

Even the high end stuff.

basicblur
March 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
A good buddy of mine who just got back from Iraq finally turned 21 this past Monday and is looking to make his first handgun purchase.

Well, from a pragmatist (which I doubt your buddy is-we’ve all been 21!). :banghead:
1. I wouldn’t spend $1K on his first handgun-it’s going to be a learning experience-I’d buy something much less expensive since it will be easier to sell/trade later should his learning curve push him in a different direction (how many of you found your ideal gun first try?) :scrutiny:
2. We need to know his needs for the gun-CC, HD, ?

That being said, iff’n it were me (not knowing what his needs are), I’d opt for an XD45 Compact (it’s on my short list of wants). My primary purpose is CC, SD, HD-my main carry guns are an XDSC40 & XDSC9, so the 45 is going to be bigger/harder to conceal. I often tell folks the only downside to XDs I can see is they are getting a bit big/thick for CC, but that criticism fades a bit if you’re going for a bigger gun, since the XD tends to more closely match up in size as you go up in size?

Anywho-things I like ‘bout XDs
1. Accuracy
2. Tough
3. Grip safety (passive, and can save you from some AD/ND)
4. Price-‘bout $500 in my neck o’ the woods
5. Magazines cheaper than most
6. Grip angle
7. Magazine capacity ('specially the 45s?)

He’ll have to try everything for fit, but I prefer the compact 45 XD over the service model. The grip is only ‘bout Ĺ”? shorter (all other dimensions the same), but it fits my hand better than the service model (I HATE having extra gun hanging below my hand), and with the compact you get both the short mag (for CC) and the long mag (range work, HD).

I know he’s probably 21 and has money burning a hole in his pocket since he can now own a handgun, but tell him to stop, step back for a few minutes, and think a few steps ahead on this one!

Rshooter
March 15, 2010, 03:55 PM
I just bought a S&W .45 M&P. I have fired their .40's several times and really liked the ergonomics of the gun. If he is in the military he qualifies for the military discount at buds gun shop and S&W is running a $50 dollar rebate or two magazines. I am out the door for $476 with the rebate.

Bullseye_shooter
March 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
STI Trojan if he wants a 1911
other than that i'd say a SIG P220
i like HK but the trigger is much smoother on the SIG

LafayetteLA
March 16, 2010, 08:56 AM
SIG p250

jonboynumba1
March 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
first he must decide if it's to be a 1911 or anything else...that's the first dividing line. In 1911's I'd say Kimber or Dan Wesson would be excellent choices for under 1K Springfield as long as it's a 5" 1911 loaded model that he falls in love with. In non 1911's I'd say a good new or used Sig 220 springfield XD 4" service (with stainless slide if possible) G21SF if he likes it in hand (he probably wont after the XD45) The HK USP would all be choices to consider and solid handguns he won't regret owning at any point down the road even as he adds other choices later. Almost all have versions over a grand but all can be had just as well for about half that to the $800-900 range in very good model versions/options....some used in excellent shape would still only be $500-600 within those higher priced guns/option ranges if you shop. A SIG, HK or quallity 1911 would be hard for anyone to pass on...if you just want a great shooting gun you can trust without breaking the bank that feels great get the XD and spend the extra cash on ammo!

ScratchnDent
March 16, 2010, 02:10 PM
I have owned or currently own a Smith & Wesson 1911, Springfield Mil Spec 1911, Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911, and a Springfield XD-45. I would recommend any one of them, they were all great guns. Only the Mil-Spec was a little picky abut ammo.

OregonJohnny
March 16, 2010, 03:16 PM
If he is active duty or retired military, he can buy any brand new S&W, including a nice variety of 1911s for 60% of MSRP, which will put him in a very nice, brandy-new 1911 for ~ $800.

I'm not active or retired military, but I bought my S&W 1911 Stainless new-in-box a couple of years ago for $749. Maybe he could get an even better deal than that. I think the S&W 1911s are overlooked a lot. I'm not sure why. Mine has been flawless for about 2,000 rounds. The S&W magazines acted up in the first few hundred rounds (kept the slide from locking back after last round every once in a while). I replaced them with Wilson magazines, and the gun runs perfectly, with all different ammo, hollow point and FMJ.

gglass
March 16, 2010, 03:26 PM
A good buddy of mine who just got back from Iraq finally turned 21 this past Monday and is looking to make his first handgun purchase.

I'm sure that your buddy appreciates being back in the U.S. after a deployment like Afghanistan. My son is currently deployed and I can tell you that he will not look at anything that is not made by American workers, in the U.S. and by an American company... I hope that your buddy feels the same way. When my son was home this past year, he passed on the opportunity to by a S.A. XD since they are all made in Croatia. He did buy a SA Loaded 1911 with a NM serial number that at showed him that it was at least assembled here in the U.S.

My advise to you is to point your buddy to some superb American made firearms from manufacturers like S&W, Colt, Ruger, Kimber, Kahr and others. I am sure that a firearm built by the citizens that he has been protecting will appeal to his sense of homecoming more than a foreign made product. I'm sure that your friend was craving a Big Mac more than Kofta Challow (Afghan Entree') when he got home... You get the idea.

Enachos
March 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
I just took him shooting this past Saturday (shot off 200 rounds of .223 from my AR 15 and another 200 .40 S&W out of my glock 27) and we got to talkin' and it seems as though he has his mind set on a 1911... he's just not sure of which brand and model! ... Like I said earlier, I'm a Glock guy and I have no idea in which direction to point him when it comes to 1911's lol

Basicblur,

I advised him about not spending too much on his first handgun purchase but you know how us guys can be about our first handgun... especially when you have lots of money in your bank account after a year long deployment! I tried suggesting the Glock 21 but he really wants an all-metal framed handgun!

Bentonville
March 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
IMO, for out of the box accuracy and reliability, the HK 45C. I really love mine as do others that I know who own them. Small enough to carry but big enough to enjoy at the range. The HK45 full size has a great following as well. You can carry cocked and locked like a 1911. At least check it out along with the other models he might be interested in. Rent one at a range if at all possible.

Enachos
March 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
Bentonville,

I will definitely suggest that. If he's gonna spend a good amount of money on a first gun then I'd really want him to buy something that shoots well out-of-the-box. Which is why I'm kind of "iffy" about him buying a 1911 because I always hear that you have to put a good amount of money into accurizing them. Thanks for your input!

ekohler
March 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
I would have to go with starting with a used Ruger P-90 and some extra clips and lots of ammo and still be $500. Look at buying something else with the other $500 like a good revolver and start a fun collection for under a $1k.

And more important than all comments and suggestions on what he should buy, please thank your friend for his service to our country !!!

bobelk99
March 16, 2010, 11:04 PM
Go to a range and rent a few to get a feel.

Good start would be M&P .45.

I personally prefer Kimber. Good used stainless target will go for less than 1K.

augustino
March 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
bobelk99 advice is worth that grand you're thinking of spending, go to the range.
THEN GET A Glock model 30.
Compact size for fairly easy CCW yet not too small...
Extremely reliable...
Extremely accurate right out of the box...
10 + 1 = 11 rounds of 45 acp in a tight little package
And not even close to $1,000.00 so you can get a ton of ammo. Or BUY 2 model 30's and half a ton of ammo.

Lv4snobrdg
March 17, 2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_target_II/

ephraimf
March 17, 2010, 11:34 PM
+1 for Kimber :)

Bongo Boy
March 18, 2010, 12:40 AM
>> Well i was really just wondering what you would buy if you were in that situation

The challenge is you didn't describe any situation--kinda like saying he wants a car with a V8 in it. Really!

It does make a difference, and that's why there are so many folks who continually buy guns then sell them then buy them then sell them--they have no purpose in mind. It doesn't have to be rocket surgery and he doesn't have to know his entire future, but there really should be some starting point. Some of the areas of interest he may have could include:

- Action pistol sports such as IDPA or USPSA and others
- Home defense only
- Personal defense (CCW) only
- Both home and personal defense
- Hunting (gosh I hope not)
- Slow-fire precision target shooting such as Bullseye shooting
- Plinking
- General 'shooting at the range' (aka plinking)

Guns in .45 ACP that could be considered as brand-name, quality firearms probably range in price from around $500 for a revolver to $500-$700 for your polymer semi-autos and some very nice DA/SA automatics from Tanfoglio and others, up to just around $1,000 for some of your SA/DA and SA semi-autos from CZ, Sig and Smith & Wesson.

So, first step might be to not look at guns at all--but to look at what's going on as far as shooting in the area. Shooting really is a lot more fun if it's more than just blasting at a target every now and then. And, he should probably think about the general trigger set up he would prefer: single action SA as in 1911, DA/SA as in CZ, Tanfoglio, Sig, HK and others, and safe action/striker fired as in M&P and Glock.

Style preference is also important--he may like shiny, glitzy and all 'custom' looking like many folks do, or he may prefer very subdued, utilitarian and 'military' looking, like others. It's all good, but it points folks in the right direction for suggesting.

Not knowing anything at all, I'd go for a gun with a good reputation but at the lower price point, and I'd try to find a used one because very few of the used guns I see in gun shops are the least bit worn. MP45 or a Glock, but unfortunately you're unlikely to find either of them used, at least in my experience. I'd stay away from anything having a barrel shorter than about 4", wouldn't buy shiny buffed stainless, two-tone or anything that would lead him to feel the need for a laser. :barf:

After selecting the gun but before buying it, make sure you can find a holster for it first, if the plan is to do any practical shooting sports.

Hope you can take a little bit of ribbing...but it's just so much easier if there's some idea of the interest area.

I think that when someone chooses a price it's as much a matter of thinking to themselves "I want a really nice gun", and not so much a budget cap or anything. We often think that this will ensure a [i]good gun that's well-regarded, reliable, super-accurate (of course) and will last a long time. As with just about everything, price guarantees nothing. I would definitely go to the $500-600 area if possible, and if he has to spend the rest of the money: one or two well-researched training classes. I've been shooting since 1960--the $400 or so I spent on formal training/coaching in 2009 provided more progress and satisfaction in my shooting than the previous 50 years of 'practice'. So, I make that recommendation very, very strongly.

wow6599
March 18, 2010, 12:50 AM
S&w 4506-1

If you enjoyed reading about "Good .45 for under $1k?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!