Sticky Cylinder

PDA

Husker_Fan
March 5, 2010, 02:19 PM
I have a S&W Victroy model I love shooting. I had put about 500 rounds through it without a hitch (all light lead loads). The last time I went to the range I had a failure to fire after two normal shots. The case had a primer strike way off center, up next to the brass. This was all done in double action.

I brought the gun home and and cleaned it. I noticed that the cylinder required an abnormal amount of force to rotate out of the frame. It seems to be sticking on the cylinder stop.

Timing and end shake seem normal to me.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sticky Cylinder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 5, 2010, 02:35 PM
No.

But take the front sideplate screw out, and then slide the crane/cylinder foreward out of the frame.

Give everything a good cleaning and lube and see if that helps.

rc

Husker_Fan
March 5, 2010, 05:33 PM
I'll give it a shot this weekend. Is it the forward most sideplate screw or the screw on the trigger guard?

I've never taken a smith revolver down, but I do have hollow ground screwdrivers of the appropriate size.

Racinbob
March 5, 2010, 05:37 PM
It's the most forward screw. Just in front of the trigger guard.

kanook
March 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
Your ejector rod is coming loose which is making it longer which is making it stick. tighting it back in and your good to go.:D

Husker_Fan
March 5, 2010, 05:45 PM
Kanook,
Would that account for the off center primer strikes?

Oro
March 5, 2010, 06:05 PM
Would that account for the off center primer strikes?

If it were binding enough, yes.

See also some ideas of things to check here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=509532

Husker_Fan
March 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
Kanook FTW.

I am embarassed to say that it seems to have been the ejector rod. I tightened it back up by hand and now it seems to work fine. I've even given others the advice to check their ejector rods, when a revolver binds up, but the off center primer strikes led my mind right past it.

Some blue locktite may be in the future for those threads.

Thanks for the help folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sticky Cylinder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!