My SR9c has SHARP cocking serrations! Solutions?

PDA

Quoheleth
March 5, 2010, 08:13 PM
My SR9c has some super sharp edges on the cocking serrations on the slide. So much so that after a half-dozen racking the slide for dry-firing, my thumbs hurt. ANy suggestions on how to "break" those edges without tearing up the stainless finish?

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "My SR9c has SHARP cocking serrations! Solutions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike J
March 5, 2010, 08:39 PM
I seem to remember someone posting about stoning them to smooth them some over at www.rugerforum.com I don't seem to be able to find the thread right now though & don't know how it would effect the finish.

1KPerDay
March 5, 2010, 09:21 PM
300 grit sandpaper works for me... just make sure you only get the edges and not the flats.

Quoheleth
March 5, 2010, 09:36 PM
300 grit sandpaper works for me... just make sure you only get the edges and not the flats.

How do I do that?

PigButtons
March 6, 2010, 12:19 AM
With the stainless, if you can hit the sharp lines only, it will blend in again just through normal handling.

What I've found works the best is a diamond knife sharpener. The ones that are about the size of a pencil and are labeled 'fine' are easy to use. By that I mean that the texture is very smooth and difficult to detect and because it is rigid, light, and relatively small, you can hit exactly where the sharp lines on the slide serrations are.

1KPerDay
March 6, 2010, 03:01 AM
You can wrap a piece around something pointy and hard... like, oh... a diamond knife sharpener. :D

The Lone Haranguer
March 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
You could lightly "break" the corners with a needle file or wet-or-dry sandpaper wrapped around a square stick. This will require great care to not nick the bottoms of the grooves. If the slide has the blackened coating, this will be cut through and the slide would have to be refinished to maintain the original appearance. If it is the natural stainless this would not be necessary.

Fremmer
March 7, 2010, 01:40 AM
Or wear a glove on your left hand.

:D

GunsAreGood
March 7, 2010, 03:42 AM
Yea and look like Micheal Jackson at the shooting range. :D:D Just a joke.

oasis618
March 7, 2010, 04:23 AM
Fill them in with Bondo, sand, repeat.

lions
March 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
You could always just keep using it and let calluses form. I know it's not what you asked but it is an option.

RedAlert
March 7, 2010, 07:54 PM
Try Cratex. It is an abrasive contained in a rubber matrix. It comes in several shapes that would enable you to carefully work the sharp edges and minimize the polishing of adjacent areas.

If you enjoyed reading about "My SR9c has SHARP cocking serrations! Solutions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!