Whats the caliber difference between the 9x18 Makarov and the 9x19 Luger?

PDA

Skillet
March 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
Can somebody show me that caliber difference? pictures would be nice. And how hard is the 9x18 mak. ammo to get?

And If I were to get the CZ 82, how bad is the recoil and how good is this version of the pistol?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the caliber difference between the 9x18 Makarov and the 9x19 Luger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deus Machina
March 6, 2010, 12:09 AM
IIRC, 9mm Luger is .355 and Makarov is .365. Essentially, they took 9mm Luger, shortened it, and straightened the sides.

Ammo isn't hard to get, but it's not really a Wal-Mart or Dick's run. It's still relatively cheap, if you can buy it in bulk.

REAPER4206969
March 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
9x18MAK is readily available. Cabela's had some in the paper recently.

Scrapperz
March 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
The Makarov is a slightly larger dia and will jam in a 9mm Luger if you try to chamber it. Check you tube I think you can convert 9mm Luger case to a 9mm Makarov, Ooops I found it >>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZftvPsZIs

REAPER4206969
March 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
The Makarov is a slightly larger dia and will jam in a 9mm Luger if you try to chamber it.
Wanna see some 'tardation? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRtEFH7VFg

CajunBass
March 6, 2010, 06:17 AM
The CZ 82 is a darn good pistol, especially for the price. It's in the rotation as one of my carry guns. Around here 9x18 ammo is hard to find in stores, and expensive as all get out when you do. However it's readly available online, you just have to order enough of it to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

Recoil is "snappy" but no worse than a 9mm(x19) in most guns. The difference is the 9x18's are for the most part straight blowback so the recoil is quicker. The CZ-82 has a double stack magazine, so the grip is wider, which spread the force out more so the recoil isn't as bad as say a single stack Makarov for example (IMHO).

I say get one.

BCCL
March 6, 2010, 06:48 AM
Winchester is importing 9mm Makarov in their White Box line from Czechoslovakia.

Just saw about 50 boxes at my local gun shop this week.

JDGray
March 6, 2010, 07:36 AM
Wanna see some 'tardation? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRtEFH7VFg

Wow!! "Notice it didn't go fully into battery, but still, no problem":eek:

Not to mention the Mak round is way lower in pressure, lucky for him there's room for gas to escape:uhoh:

KevinR
March 6, 2010, 08:33 AM
I think I got this picture from this forum. It helped me with this very question

paradox998
March 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
I have a cz82. In terms of recoil it is snappy, but easily moderated. Replace the recoil spring with a stonger one from Wolffe. They sell three spring sets to work with. Mine is completely reliable with the strongest spring and the recoil is significantly reduced. Also, try a shooting glove if the recoil is a problem.

Fiv3r
March 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
Yep, another vote for a spring job. My little P-64 was tamed with a Wolff kit. I love the 9x18 for a carry gun. Peppy version of the .380, cheaper to buy (even if it has to be online), easier to find during the ammo drought of Ought Nine, fire arms that fire it are cheaper to buy because many are milsurp:D

You're not going to get the performance, the price, or the availability of 9mm Luger, but I think every gun collection has a place for at least one 9x18.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the caliber difference between the 9x18 Makarov and the 9x19 Luger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!