GOD I love this gun - New 629 Carry Comp

PDA

Rotting
March 6, 2010, 03:40 AM
First, let me say that I this is my first: A) revolver, B) 44 Magnum gun and C) Smith and Wesson. I think I have fallen in love with all three of those categories!

I saw this gun for sale and something inside of me just "clicked" and I HAD to have it. I was curious as to how "unfun" it would be to shoot, as I have read some horror stories about 44 mags hurting hands and kicking so much as to make shooting it a buzzkill. Well, I just got back from shooting 100 rounds through it and I can say wholeheartedly that those sentiments do NOT apply to me!

This gun has a ported barrel, and I don't know how much that plays into alleviating the recoil, but I really didn't find the recoil that bad at all! One thing I love about this gun is it is as accurate as hell up to 25 yds, plus the power of the 44 mag lets you know that you're shooting a gun. No mistake about it, it's meant for business. Oh, and the single action on this gun is THE best I could possibly imagine.

Now, my wife fired only 3 rounds and she had had enough. She did get a big "WOW! Holy Sh*t!" looking grin on her face, but she was more content to shoot her 9mm for the rest of the night.

Here are some of the specs on the Carry Comp:
- 3" barrel (ported)
- Matte SS finish
- 38 oz.
- 6 shot
- "Combat" wood grips (comes with rubber grip too)

If you've been considering getting a 44M, I can HIGHLY recommend this one, especially if you're into the shorter barreled variety.

Here's a pic of my new best friend -
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8269/new44.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "GOD I love this gun - New 629 Carry Comp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
March 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
Welcome to THR.

I recently acquired a 3" Model 629 (Lew Horton edition) and I agree with you 100%. I've swapped out the smooth wood grips for a pair of checkered Hogues, but the gun is still a blast to shoot. I should have bought one years ago.

Tamlin
March 6, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, Welcome. I have a regular 629 with a 4" barrel. I don't find the recoil bad at all, and I love to shoot it. Congrats on your purchase.

ChefJeff1
March 6, 2010, 10:47 PM
I like it too, especially the fixed sights.

gutterman
March 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
how do you carry it concealed? What type of holster? Is it comfortable?

Oro
March 7, 2010, 12:17 AM
Nice to hear you are pleased. I too have a 3" one of these, the Lew Horton -1 like Starter52, not the carry comp. It's just one of my very favorite guns and a real pleasure to carry and shoot. It's one of the very few guns I can still get excited about shooting.

Legionnaire just took delivery of his -1 and updated his pre-purchase thread here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=493362

You can find other 3" .44 magnum owners sharing their pleasure with the platform in that thread. Welcome to the forum and to an excellent handgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "GOD I love this gun - New 629 Carry Comp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!