Need some help, looking for a certain cartridge

PDA

sonier
March 6, 2010, 05:41 AM
is there a lever gun that fires a 44 mag as well as a streched 44 mag case of some sort. any answers would be nice

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help, looking for a certain cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natman
March 6, 2010, 06:26 AM
Not to my knowledge. The 444 Marlin will NOT safely fire 44 mag ammo; the base diameter is larger on the 444.

frogomatic
March 6, 2010, 02:08 PM
I don't know of any based around the 44.

I have a rossi puma92 that shoots 45LC and 454 casull, I've been quite happy with it. not exactly what you are looking for, but I thought it close enough to warrant mentioning.

unspellable
March 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
A stretched 44 mag would be the 445 SuperMag.

If you had a Winchester M1894 chambered for 44 Magnum as a starting point it would not be too much of a stretch to modify it for the 445 SuperMag. It would need to be rechambered and have the lifter lengthened. I'm not sure if anything else would need to be done. (Any M94 customizers looking?) I think the lifter issue limits the M94 to a single cartridge length. Maybe some other lever gun can handle multiple lengths?

russ69
March 6, 2010, 03:01 PM
A stout 44 mag is a pretty good cartridge as is. In a light lever gun it gives you a pretty good thump. If it was for me I'd buy a 45 colt long, this can also be loaded up also but is a nice round to shoot in a lever gun.

Thanx, Russ

sonier
March 6, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yea i was looking into the 444 marlin and read the marlin has a taper to the case so blowback gas is possible. im looking for any cartridges like the 450 marlin 444 marlin 45-70 that can shoot cartridges such as 45 long colt 44 mag. Im just looking for versatillity instead of shooting your shoulder off in one session you can aquaint yourself better with lighter cartridges such as 44 mag 45 long colt. Thankyou for replys

russ69
March 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
I've shot the 444 Marlin, quite a powerhouse but not too pleasant to shoot. The 45-70 factory loads are nice and comfortable for plinking. If you handload, you can load up a 45-70 all the way into a big shoulder buster. That's a better way to go than using a short case in a long chamber. Good luck.

Thanx, Russ

sonier
March 6, 2010, 05:57 PM
alrighty I do handload that isnt a problem. Right now im in love with the marlin 1894 lever guns, the stock fits my shoulder perfectly, it just feels right. Im assuming there is no big game cartridges of this sort that can be used in conjunction with pistol rounds.

rust collector
March 6, 2010, 09:03 PM
Different cartridge lengths will cause difficulty in a repeating levergun. The Marlins will work with 44 special and 44 mag.

The option to simply download a 45/70 may be the best answer for a wide variety of needs.

TehK1w1
March 8, 2010, 03:59 PM
or do the same with the 444 if you like that caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help, looking for a certain cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!