First Muzzleloader

PDA

Hunterdad
March 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Just sent out the payment for my first muzzleloader. I got a 1 year old CVA Buckhorn for $80 shipped to my door. I plan on using the triple seven with the 300gr XTP's. I've read guys having good results with that combo. The guy said the ram rod is broken and I will need a new one. Any recommendations for a new ram rod would be great. Also, what else do I need?

Thanks
Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "First Muzzleloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lonewolf5347
March 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
I took a deer this year for the first time with the Hornady 300 XTP mag: my load was 85 grains of triple 777
I did recover the deer the shot 65 yards with my t/c inline now the shot not placed well either I pulled it or the last second the deer turned:The shot low angled the last rib but threw the lower stomach,bullet stop just before the rear leg .I new the deer was hit seen a few spots of blood in the snow I track it for a few yards but stopped and gave it a chance to bed-down.I return 1 hour later and the deer went no more then 75 yards.I returned to the spot were I first placed the shot and to my sirprise I did find the bullet on top of the snow:The bullet did mushroom but I was not happy how far the core peeled back the bullet weight 275 grains I think a tad more powder boost with the 300 xtp mag: is needed.
I have taken a few deer using the 240 XTP mag: and 85 grains of triple and never did find the bullet on deer.

Black Toe Knives
March 12, 2010, 03:52 AM
I am not into the fancy bullets or fancy powders. Don't get wrong they are impressive. I have shot them. I like to keep it simple. I still shoot a tradition side lock TC renegade. I use Goex Powder period and I use a regular 50 cal maxi ball. I did upgrade to a scope and musket caps.
I took my last deer at 30 yards. The deer crash and died about 30 yards from where I shot it with 75 grains of Goex and 50 Cal 250 grain lead maxi ball.
There is no substitution for blackpowder.

arcticap
March 12, 2010, 09:30 AM
Try calling CVA for a Buckhorn "OEM" replacement ramrod that will fit properly in the holder. :)

With our complete inventory of replacement parts, our experts can repair most all CVA rifles and shotguns, bringing them back to their like-new specifications....
Our Customer Service Department is available to help you Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. You can call the CVA Customer Service Department directly at (770) 449-4687.

david58
March 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
You can go OEM or just go to any blackpowder supply online (Track of the Wolf, etc) and get a plastic ramrod with the tip you specify (you tell em the threads to fit your cleaning jag, etc). You just saw it off at the length you want. I use wood ramrods (I also only shoot traditional with round ball) but in the excitement of putting a shot into a critter, you could break the rod during reload if its wood. Broken ramrods usually end up very sharp, and make ugly wounds on the forearm of the person doing the reload.

scrat
March 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
get two of them. i have the original one that came with the gun on top of that i bought a traditions its a cheap fiberglass one. However when shooting at the range thats all i use as the original one is kept all nice. :)

juniustaylor
March 14, 2010, 01:47 AM
I think you will be happy with that Buckhorn. I bought mine from WallyWorld for $117 + tax about a year or two ago. I have shot it with 100 - 150 grains of 777 and a 235gr TC bulk pack HP sabot. They were shooting extremely accurate at 80 yards with open sights. I had one of those Shoot-N-C targets. I aimed for the top of the black circle expecting the bullet to drop. I shot right through the hang hole. I corrected and held dead on the black circle. My impact was about 1/2" right and 1/4" high of the cross in the bullseye. I feel that was pretty good, it is an impressive budget muzzleloader. For ramrods I have used the TC aluminum ones that you cut to length. I wait till WallyWorld puts them on sale for a couple dollars and I buy about 2 of them for spares. Fiberglass ones would be real nice as they are flexible.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Muzzleloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!