Long bullet jump and throat erosion...

PDA

Eyesac
March 6, 2010, 01:12 PM
I read once that long bullet jump can increase throat erosion, is this just a rumor? Or has anyone had this experience? I realize that there’s probably no real data out there, but has anyone loaded rounds with a big jump (like .2 or more) and had a throat erode extra fast or prematurely?

If you enjoyed reading about "Long bullet jump and throat erosion..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
Many factory rifles made more recently probably have more then .2 jump when shooting factory ammo in them. It's a lawyer thing to reduce pressure.

Weatherby started the very long free-bore thing about 1948 to get extra velocity with less pressure.

I don't think Weatherby rifle's burn out barrels any faster then any other caliber that burns that much powder every shot.

rc

243winxb
March 6, 2010, 04:29 PM
If the base of the bullet leaves the case mouth before the bullet seals the bore, you get more throat erosion or gas cutting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long bullet jump and throat erosion..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!