Enfield Ramrod Spring Question

PDA

AdmiralB
March 6, 2010, 02:28 PM
I just picked up a recent Euroarms P1853 Enfield. The ramrod just kinda slides in and out of the channel, there's no indication that it engages the spring.

I pulled the barrel and there's nothing obviously amiss, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work: the ramrod 'bumps' the spring finger up, but is the tension generated by the spring pressing into the bottom of the barrel, or is it the opposite end of the spring pivoting down against the stock?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Ramrod Spring Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sharps59
March 9, 2010, 10:26 PM
here you go http://www.euroarms.net/Avancarica/esplosi/EXPL_VIEW_ENF_3B_1853.pdf

AdmiralB
March 9, 2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks, but I know how it's put together. What I'm not sure about is the action.

The rod slides under the 'finger', which causes the spring to pivot upwards about the pin. The question is, upon what does the spring impinge to cause tension?

Either the area just behind the finger contacts the barrel bottom, or the opposite end - which pivots downward - presses against the channel in the stock.

I believe it's the former, so I've tried building up a layer of JB Weld on the top of the spring. We'll see how it works tomorro.

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Ramrod Spring Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!