Rock Tumbler Versus Regular Tumbler

PDA

chagasrod
March 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
Would a Rotary rock tumbler like this one work to tumble catridge cases?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=THU100&utm_source=froogle

I Have the RCBS Vibratory Case cleaner and i'm wondering if this would do the same as the RCBS Sidewinder for WAY less money.

Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Tumbler Versus Regular Tumbler" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
March 6, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have been using a Thumler's Tumbler to clean brass for the last two decades. Belts wear out, rollers wear out, that's about it.

Cabela's is selling them for $179.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=EPYCXLUK011ENLAQBBJSCONMCAEFIIWE?id=0003101212489a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1230101&cm_ite=0003101212489a&_requestid=26065

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/images/rotary_b.jpg

hydraulicman
March 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
you can get a lyman for 50 or so bucks. just do that

jcwit
March 6, 2010, 07:09 PM
Why? There's bunches of vibrating tumblers out their that work just great and are much quieter, even Thumlers Tumbler sell them if you insist on spending big bucks.

Natchez has the Lyman 1200 Pro on sale for $42.00.

1SOW
March 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
The vibratory tumbler moves more media faster in a given time.

ants
March 6, 2010, 11:41 PM
Way back in the 70's the reloaders in my region started using rotary rock tumblers. I couldn't afford one, but eventually I got a hold of an old used one, and I was amazed at how well it scrubbed.

When that rock tumbler burned its motor, I went to the paddle-type bread dough mixer (anybod else ever use those?). That thing cleaned best of all.

When we went to vibratory, I was amazed at how much brass we could get in one bowl. Twice as much as the others. But the vibratory did not clean better than my old rock tumbler or the mixer. Both of them scrubbed more carbon clean than the vibratory.

What was your impression?

Sunray
March 7, 2010, 12:16 AM
Yep. I've seen home made tumblers that look a lot like that. Wouldn't part with that much money though.
Use crushed walnut shells or corn cobs, that you can buy in a great big bag, for under $20, in a pet supply shop. Sold as small animal bedding.
"...went to the paddle-type bread dough mixer..." Sounds daft, but the principal is the same. Suspect a dough hook would be better than a paddle.

mbopp
March 7, 2010, 09:53 AM
Back when I had more time than money I made a rotary tumbler. It's made from aluminum plate from old test fixtures where I used to work, the drive is an old copier motor, and the can is a 3# coffee can (when coffee was sold in 3# cans.) I still use it, in fact I just put a 12 hour timer switch on it.

qajaq59
March 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
I have a rotary tumbler that I put together years ago from the scrap box and it works fine. But I doubt that I'd run out and buy one instead of the vibrator type that sells for so much less.

jluther820
March 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
I use a rock tumbler, but the rubber has stretched, and makes the lid more difficult to close. Anyone else have this problem / a solution?

jluther820
March 9, 2010, 11:10 AM
bttt

bluetopper
March 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
I just wish mine was big enough to put a gallon of brass in.

HOWARD J
March 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have a Thumblers Bumbler ( shown above ) I have not used it in years.
I use Lyman & Hornady & RCBS vibratory tumblers...................

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Tumbler Versus Regular Tumbler" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!