High Standard .22 Parts/Repair


November 21, 2003, 04:19 AM
A relative newbie I've been helping get into shooting has a wonderful collection of older firearms from various relatives.

Among them is a WWII Ithaca 1911A1 that's a tack driver :what: but that's another story.:D

She has an old worn High Standard .22 that needs work, but unfortunately the "expert" she took it to has screwed it up worse and handed it back. He took off the grip panels and "a spring went flying into the shag carpet" - upon which he handed her $5.00 and said sorry, he couldn't spend any more time on it. :cuss:

Needless to say I'll never refer anyone to that moron again.

However, I'd like pointers to someone in the Orange County, CA area who might be able to help out; and/or pointers to web sites or catalogs that might help.

Does Wolff or anyone have spring kits for old High Standards?

Thanks in advance!


If you enjoyed reading about "High Standard .22 Parts/Repair" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
November 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Before anyone can be very helpful you need to better identify the gun. High Standard made a lot of different models that could be described as "old" and some of them use entirely different parts.

One piece of information that would help is; which side of the frame was the missing spring mounted on?

Anyway, one source of parts is Nimrich/Gunparts Corp. You will find them at: www.e-gunparts.com

However they can't do much unless they know the model.

November 21, 2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Old Fuff - I am not that familiar wit the brand and have only seen this one once so far. I'll check with my friend and try to get a closer look at it if she can't decipher it herself.

I do have a Numrich catalog, good idea. Would Brownell's have anything?


Old Fuff
November 21, 2003, 03:43 PM
I doubt that Brownells has High Standard parts because the company has been out of business for some years. They might have some aftermarket stuff including springs. The trouble is I don't know what particular spring you need.

November 21, 2003, 08:57 PM
Parts and service for HIGH STANDARD PISTOLS [ www.highstandard.com/ ] a new company making the HI-STANDARD PISTOLS , [www.brownells.com ] they had HIGH STANDARD parts listed in their 2001 catalog ( newest one I have) , .NUMRICH GUN PARTS [ www.e-parts.com ] they seem to have parts listed and diagrams for everything . GOOD LUCK in your search.

Old Fuff
November 21, 2003, 09:11 PM

You are right to a point, but the pistol in question is supposed to be an "old" High Standard. That means it could be a Model B or HD. One can't go much further until the exact model is identified.

November 21, 2003, 10:14 PM
My friend emailed me:
Thanks (in advance) for checking the catalogs. Sure could use the help.
It was the Slide Lock Spring. The store attendant gave me #'s:
Key # 1255, Item # 377270
if that's any help.

Makes sense, the pistol was locking back on every round. BTW, it was the left side panel that was removed when the spring went flying.

Standing Wolf
November 21, 2003, 10:26 PM
The best place for High Standard advice is Jim Spacek's site: http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek.htm

A highly reputable High Standard gunsmith participates there, and it's my understanding he works on all the models.

Any self-styled "expert" who would remove High Standard stocks without taking care not to lose the slide release latch and/or trigger bar springs is incompetent.

Old Fuff
November 21, 2003, 11:02 PM
Standing Wolf is right about the "expert." Anyway. Numrich/Gun Parts Corp also have the part you need, and a gunsmith with a coil spring selection might find an acceptable substitute. I don't think this is going to turn into any kind of big problem.

November 22, 2003, 02:23 AM
Thanks, people. My friend is, as noted, pretty new to all this and unfortunately went to a local shop with a reputation for being expert in older guns. Needless to say, after such treatment, she is feeling a little unsure, and having helped her get started I feel it incumbent to help make it right.

If anyone can recommend a GOOD smith in the Orange County CA area, i'd appreciate it. I'm leaning toward Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster having had a good experience there with a tuneup and polish job on a Combat Commander about 10 years ago, but they are usually backlogged and not the most... customer relation oriented shop. If you know what you need they're great, but they are a little... reticent, toward new customers. :rolleyes: :D

The Gunsight (?) in Fullerton is my other choice, but while I've heard good reports I don't have personal experience there.

Old Fuff
November 22, 2003, 10:49 AM
If the slide lock lever spring is your only problem you may not need a gunsmith. The slide lock lever is nested in a cutout on the right side of the frame and can be easily lifted out. The spring, which is a very little coil one, goes into a hole in the front of the slide stop. Then slip the front of the spring into a matching hole in the front of the recess in the frame. Push the latch forward and down and it will snap into place. Then replace the right grip to hold it in place.

If you are worried about the spring getting away again, wad up an old towel and wrap it around the frame, or place the frame in the bottom of a large cardboard box. Either will trap the spring if it goes on the fly.

As for a gunsmith. If you have all of the associated parts (frame assembly, slide lock lever and spring, right grip and screw) a gunsmith should be able to put the latch and grip back on the frame in less then 90 seconds while you wait. I have done this on many occasions, and never had the gall to charge for doing it, except for the spring if I provided it. I often didn't even charge for the part if the gun's owner was a regular customer.

If you are still worried send me a personal message (PM) with an e-mail address and I'll scan a copy of the instructions (with illustration) and send it to you as a .JPG attachment

November 22, 2003, 11:17 AM
Old Fuff -

Thanks again. While the gun does need a good cleaning and there are probably other things needing a tune up or replacement, but replacing the spring shouldn't be too hard. I will pm you with my email - the .jpg will be very welcome.


Old Fuff
November 22, 2003, 06:21 PM
I e-mailed the drawings in two identical messages. The attachments are HS-1.jpg and HS-2.jpg.

If for some reason this doesn't do the trick post another message and I'll go back to square-one and start over.

November 22, 2003, 06:44 PM
Received and readable! Thanks again.

Old Fuff
November 22, 2003, 06:54 PM
Good. Come back again later and let us know how things work out.

November 27, 2003, 11:18 PM
If I remember correctly a replacement spring,little coil slide lock,can be found in one of those pins that hold a watch band in place on the watch..
The pin must be destroyed to get spring though.. You just might have one of those pins around from a band change though..

June 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
High Standard is back in business as of 1993. Houston Texas. I just sent my late grandfather's Model "E" we inherited in for repair. They're fast and do great work. And inexpensive.


Jim K
June 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds like the slide lock spring, but another spring that often goes wandering off is the sear bar spring, a curved flat spring that powers the sear bar upward.


June 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
Does anyone here know if the firing pin and the retaining pins for a High Standard Model B will work in the Hartford Arms pistol? My research says they are pretty much the same....

If you enjoyed reading about "High Standard .22 Parts/Repair" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!