HD Revolver for Retired Couple

PDA

nulfisin
March 6, 2010, 08:12 PM
My Dad would like a handgun for HD purposes and, perhaps, to deter coyotes from killing the family dog. (He doesn't want a shotgun, despite my best advice.) He's expressed interest in the Taurus Judge because of its ability to shoot .410 shells. My personal recommendation is a Ruger GP 100, so that he can practice with 38s and not have to worry much about recoil. I'd bet Dad hasn't fired a weapon since he was in the service 40 years ago and that Mom never has.

Do you have any thoughts? Both of my folks are in fine physical condition and price is not a major issue. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "HD Revolver for Retired Couple" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
March 6, 2010, 08:17 PM
The Judge is a GIMMICK.
The shotshells are not effective from a pistol at more than 5 yards.

Get him a used .38 if it has to be a handgun.

I think a 10/22 would do a better job on roving coyotes.

kingpin008
March 6, 2010, 09:22 PM
I think W.E.G. pretty much nailed it on all counts.

wyohome
March 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
The Judge is a GIMMICK.

I think W.E.G. pretty much nailed it

The reviews are better than that. Do you guys own one?

eddism
March 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
Got to disagree with you about the judge. ruger has come out with this item in a 7.5" barrel. In the case of a HD situation, these rugers can handle heavy hot loads along with assorted scatter shot. Tactically, .410 munitions can be designed to fit a wide variety of situations. For instance, the intruder is wearing a armored vest. And your judge is packing drive-pin sabots. The vest is easily penetrated. Or you really dont want to kill the intruder. But, instead set'em on fire. There are incindiary munitions in the .410 caliber also.
Depends upon the situation. Home defense is just that. Short range hold your ground. And make sure they can't get there head up. Blast away.

Vonderek
March 6, 2010, 09:42 PM
Got to disagree with you about the judge. ruger has come out with this item in a 7.5" barrel.
Do you mean Taurus or am I that far behind the times?

If he wants a .38 and it is to be a house gun and not a carry piece then yes a GP100 or a S&W K-frame or similar.

eddism
March 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
Right Taurus. My bad. Take a look at gunblast.com shotshow. JQ has a few of these rigs to show. I have a Thunder Five. Its an awesome snubby and strictly for self-defense and can handle everything that fits including 45-70.
I also have a wide variety of 410 shells including drivepin, fletchette, and flamethrowers.

warnerwh
March 6, 2010, 09:51 PM
Get him a .357 revolver. He can load light .38's or .357 rounds for more serious needs. I would spend the extra few dollars and buy a quality gun. You can get used Rugers for not much difference for what a new Taurus would cost. Dan Wessons are also good guns and .357's can be had for 350-400. Check pawn shops.

btg3
March 6, 2010, 09:51 PM
The GP100 is on the mark, or any of the Ruger Six series if you want a less expensive (and perhaps better?) revolver. And load with .38spl as you suggest -- perhaps +P. No need for .357 at all, IMO. May also find a rifle handy for the coyotes.

A judge???...ROFLMAO:D

oneounceload
March 6, 2010, 09:53 PM
and can handle everything that fits including 45-70

I don't think so, but it might be something to watch you fire a 45-70 in one. 45LC is not the same as 45-70.........

EmGeeGeorge
March 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
gp100 with 4 inch barrel... load it up with glasers...

Bubba613
March 6, 2010, 10:00 PM
Smith Model 10. CHeap and shoots a variety of .38 ammo. Easy to use.
+1 for the Judge being an expensive gimmick.

eddism
March 6, 2010, 10:07 PM
45-70: It fit, It shot. Barrel Flip indeed. Guess I'll have to do video and put it on YouTube.

kingpin008
March 6, 2010, 10:24 PM
load it up with glasers...

Glasers are not a good choice for SD. Look up the various tests (Box o' Truth, etc) and you'll see pretty quickly how they suffer from poor penetration and lack of enough bullet weight/mass to create a decent wound cavity.

frankiestoys
March 6, 2010, 10:27 PM
I would recomend the Ruger sp 101 in 3'' and avoid the Judge, all and any reviews i have read have not been praise worthy for the Taurus. The SP is a solid revolver, its a little smaller then the GP a bit lighter and can also be had in 38/357. I own both the SP and GP
so thats my advise.

9mm+
March 6, 2010, 10:27 PM
Smith Model 10. CHeap and shoots a variety of .38 ammo. Easy to use.
+1 for the Judge being an expensive gimmick.

I would agree with the Model 10 suggestion. I own five different handguns and the S&W Model 10 is the only one I keep by the bedside for home protection. When it's dark and your heart is pounding, having a SA/DA revolver like the S&W M10 in your hand makes all the difference. The hammer is big and easily found by your thumb and ergonomics are just about perfect.

meef
March 6, 2010, 10:29 PM
Ooooooo...... got some knickers in a twist with the badmouthing on the Judge.

The owner of my favorite gun store has one. He said it's very unpleasant to shoot with the heavier .410 loads - make the .45 Colt seem tame by comparison.

Doesn't sound like something your folks might enjoy.

Of course, there's still the fact that they could load it with some of those zombie-killing, radioactive, flamethrowing, flechette spewing, broken glass flinging, chain-shot tossing, grapeshot belching, flying fickle finger of death rounds and any intruders would be DRT by just firing (farting?) in their general direction

:cool:

gym
March 6, 2010, 10:39 PM
Saw some terrible test results on the Judge with the shot shells on one of the gun sites.

Carl Levitian
March 6, 2010, 10:46 PM
My wife and I are both retired senior citizens in our 60's, and we bth swear by the old S&W model 10. Karen has a revolver by her side of the bed, and I have the same old 10 I bought in 1969, used. I don't know how many rounds have been through our guns, but there has never been a single malfunction of any kind. My wife still has and shoot the same K22 her dad gave her as a high school graduation gift. They are easy to use, accurite, and about the most trouble free gun I've ever owned. You can't beat a K frame Smith.

Plus you can pick up used ones at pretty good prices.

nulfisin
March 6, 2010, 10:49 PM
Guys, thanks for the input and didn't mean to stir the passions. I learned to shoot on a six-inch GP 100. They can start with that fine piece and make up their own minds later.

As far as the coyotes go, my brothers and I try to take care of them with either our 22 win mag rifles or my AR in 223. The AR is the best choice by far (and my own HD gun), but the report is a bit excessive in our neck of the woods.

divemedic
March 6, 2010, 10:52 PM
The Box o Truth tested the Judge (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm). The ruling was that the pistol was worthless for defense when firing .410 shot.

I gotta throw the BS flag on the .45-70 claim, too. The .45LC fires a bullet of .451 diameter, and the .45-70 is .458 inches. The 2.5inch Judge will also no accept the .45-70, because the OAL of the cartridge is 2.550 inches. There is a 3" magnum version of The Judge, but it only comes in a 3" Barrel.

In fact, according to the 2010 Taurus catalog (http://www.taurususa.com/2010catalog/), the longest barrel you can get a Judge in is 6.5", and that is with the 2.5" chamber.

shockwave
March 6, 2010, 11:11 PM
Here's another vote for a .357 in 4" barrel config. Ruger, Taurus, Rossi, S&W - whatever is affordable. Load first 2-3 chambers with .38 spl and .357s on the way out. Excellent home defense. You can even get shotshells if you want the first shot to be a fine how-de-do. What I've found in practice is that the heavier .357 frame really controls the .38s and makes them effortless to shoot, and a revolver in this setup has lots of intimidation force. Point a Makarov or something at somebody, sure, it's a gun. But a .357 revolver looks like business.

In almost any imaginable case, you point a gun at an intruder - let alone fire it - they're gonna take off. Perps are looking for easy scores, not running gun battles. A 4" barrel will deliver tremendous accuracy so coyotes would be easily dispatched (although I'd prefer to zing 'em with shot and just send 'em packing).

DNS
March 6, 2010, 11:22 PM
Rossi makes some nice revolvers in both .357 and .38 special for less than $300 usually. Love mine.

Mike

Oro
March 6, 2010, 11:25 PM
J&G sales has a variety of S&W 4" .38s used right now from $230 to $280 depending upon sights and finish. A better deal will be hard to find:

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431

wishin
March 6, 2010, 11:27 PM
As a retired 69 year old shooter, my advice is to not consider their age as a factor in the purchase; especially since they're in good physical condition.

eddism
March 6, 2010, 11:34 PM
Pick that flag up. MIL Thunder's take'em as well as anything else you want to put down there throat that's a 45 centerfire as its cylinder is a full 3". Taurus might not though. Never owned a Taurus. I'd get a Magnum Research BFR and fork over the extra dough before buying a Judge.

GigaBuist
March 6, 2010, 11:36 PM
45-70: It fit, It shot. Barrel Flip indeed. Guess I'll have to do video and put it on YouTube.

I've heard you could fit .45 Colt in some .410 break action shotguns too. Doesn't make it a good idea to do it. "It fits" is not the only criteria when choosing ammo for your firearm.

ChaoSS
March 7, 2010, 05:00 AM
Here's another vote for the .357. Let them practice shooting with the .38s, try shooting off a few of the .357s just so they know how it feels, and load it up with .357 for the defense round.

labhound
March 7, 2010, 05:19 AM
S&W k frame. Mine's a model 64 stainless .38 spl 4" heavy barrel +p rated loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +p.

Mr. Bojangles
March 7, 2010, 05:48 AM
You really can't go wrong with a Ruger GP100.

notbubba
March 7, 2010, 06:05 AM
The Ruger GP 100 is fine, but I like the S&W 686 better. It just fits my hand better.

Both are very good, I'd recomend a 4 inch barrel.

I think they'd be much more likely to practice with either of them than they would with a Judge.

natman
March 7, 2010, 06:39 AM
Got to disagree with you about the judge. ruger has come out with this item in a 7.5" barrel. In the case of a HD situation, these rugers can handle heavy hot loads along with assorted scatter shot. Tactically, .410 munitions can be designed to fit a wide variety of situations. For instance, the intruder is wearing a armored vest. And your judge is packing drive-pin sabots. The vest is easily penetrated. Or you really dont want to kill the intruder. But, instead set'em on fire. There are incindiary munitions in the .410 caliber also.
Depends upon the situation. Home defense is just that. Short range hold your ground. And make sure they can't get there head up. Blast away.

Certainly sounds like the Judge is intended for you alright.

KarenTOC
March 7, 2010, 08:37 AM
Or you really dont want to kill the intruder. But, instead set'em on fire.

Not something I'd choose to do inside my house!!!

My SD gun is a S&W model 19, 4" bbl; I love it.

btg3
March 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
I would recomend the Ruger sp 101 in 3''... The SP is a solid revolver, its a little smaller then the GP a bit lighter and can also be had in 38/357. I own both the SP and GP so thats my advise.

For HD, the SP offers no advantage: one less round, more perceived recoil, shorter sight radius.

The consensus seems to be, as many have stated, a 4" .357 loaded with .38+P.

The Lone Haranguer
March 7, 2010, 09:49 AM
A real shotgun would be a much better choice if defense against predatory animals (the four-legged kind) is part of the equation. They are relatively small, fast moving, at a greater distance and often at night.

woad_yurt
March 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
Add me to the .38 revolver crowd. A .38 K-frame (or equivalent) is the ticket for the casual shooter. Yes, one can load a .357 with .38s but the .357 guns always cost more than the .38-only pieces. A nice Model 10 or Model 64 S&W will do just fine in a house.

No way I'd want to fire .357s in my hallway. It's just way too loud (definite hearing loss with every round) and it'll shoot through most any non-brick house walls. For an occasional shooter, it's much harder to control; it's quite a handful, recoil-wise.

oldfool
March 7, 2010, 10:52 PM
My Dad would like a handgun for HD purposes and, perhaps, to deter coyotes from killing the family dog. (He doesn't want a shotgun, despite my best advice.) He's expressed interest in the Taurus Judge because of its ability to shoot .410 shells. My personal recommendation is a Ruger GP 100, so that he can practice with 38s and not have to worry much about recoil. I'd bet Dad hasn't fired a weapon since he was in the service 40 years ago and that Mom never has.

Do you have any thoughts? Both of my folks are in fine physical condition and price is not a major issue. Thanks.
your Dad has well earned the right to make up his own mind, and so has your Mom
but that is no great excuse for not giving the best advice you honestly you feel can

keep right on recommending your heartfelt & sincere advice to get a shotgun, for the circumstances you describe.. it is NOT disrespect !

just respect whatever choice they do make
they earned the right, and would do the same for you

nowool
March 7, 2010, 11:00 PM

The GP100 would be perfect! no maintenance and loaded for years. If they are afflicted with arthritis I'd got for a loaded .45 since very low trigger pull.

nowool
March 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
to the rest of you and your opinions:.......they are old and frail....the guns you described can actually cause them damage..they are not 'rambos' they are decend 'paid my taxes' retired folks. They may need to fire twice or more! no sense putting them through the 'pain of the gun' and then the 'pain of the trial'!

If you are old and infirm the get a springfield armoury .45 acp. the trigger will be light and if you need your son or grandson to load it, it'll stay on duty for 50 or more years till you need it.

ChaoSS
March 7, 2010, 11:29 PM
Nowool, the guy wants a judge. I'm thinking that he may be old, but he isn't infirm.

NMGonzo
March 7, 2010, 11:36 PM
dual 45 colt single action

Erik M
March 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
K-Frame .38spl would do nicely. Im thinking a 4" barrel model 64. Buds had a pile of them at christmas for around $300.

Bulldawg55
March 7, 2010, 11:45 PM
S&W 13 or 65 (If you can find one!) Definately should be in their Classic Line!:banghead::cuss:
OR

SP101 3" Love mine! It's plenty heavy enough to tame the recoil and plenty accurate.:D:

If your looking for more accuracy than these can provide you want a long gun!:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "HD Revolver for Retired Couple" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!