Easiest Pistol Magazine to Load?

PDA

therickster
March 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi guys. Noob disclaimer. :) I haven't tried very many pistols, but I have an XDm 9mm that is a major pain to load. It came with a speedloader, which definitely makes it easier, but still takes a lot of time and effort. Also the XD mag springs seem to catch in weird places and aren't holding the same tension throughout (sometimes the bullet on top will be loose). These are all new, factory mags.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm definitely thinking about trading it for something else. So my question is this: How easy or difficult are other models to load? After popping 30 rounds into an AK mag with no problem, then struggling to get 10 into the XD, it seems there HAS to be a handgun mag out there with the same ease-of-use as a rifle mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Easiest Pistol Magazine to Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
March 6, 2010, 07:24 PM
1911 .45 acp. If I cannot load a magazine quickly and easily with my arthritic hands I have no use for it. This problem started in my opinion when everyone decided we all needed double stack high capacity magazines. I would not own a magazine fed weapon that required the use of a "speed loader".

gwnorth
March 6, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'd suggest an upLuLa universal mag loader - by far the best speed loader I've ever seen or used. It will make range trips much easier on the thumbs.

The mag springs will ease up a bit with use typically. If they are catching, it could just be dirt - try disassembling them, clean thoroughly and try them again (some people also oil their mags - but VERY lightly, just a sheen at most, and use a non-pentrating oil).

In terms of easiest to load in general, in my experience, 1911 single stack .45acp mags are the easiest. Any double stack I've used has been definitely harder then those, plus small diameter rounds make things more difficult. My P232's single stack .380acp mags are harder then .45acp single stacks because of the much smaller cartridge, but they are still easier to load then my double stack 9mm mags.

Drail - I agree in principal. But, something like an upLuLa is an issue of ease and convience, and I'm all about useful things that make my life simpler :)

wbwanzer
March 6, 2010, 07:32 PM
The Uplula is money well spent.

m2steven
March 6, 2010, 07:35 PM
Most 1911 magazines are pretty easy to load. I'm super impressed with how easy it is to load my Springfield 9mm EMP. Piece of cake, no sharp edges on the mags and the bullets just slide right in with little effort.

Some of my pistols cut my fingers and thumb to pieces if I don't use a loader.

earlthegoat2
March 6, 2010, 07:42 PM
HK P7 mags I have found easy to load. At least as easy as 1911s. I guess if it is single stack it is easier because a larger percentage of the loaded rounds are loaded when the spring is less compressed.

usp9
March 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
Easiest IMHO is the FN 5.7. You don't need a loader. The mags load just like a AR rifle.

outerlimit
March 6, 2010, 08:37 PM
1911 .45 acp. If I cannot load a magazine quickly and easily with my arthritic hands I have no use for it. This problem started in my opinion when everyone decided we all needed double stack high capacity magazines. I would not own a magazine fed weapon that required the use of a "speed loader".

http://www.magloader.com/

Give these a try, it's the only mag loading tool I've ever needed. I've been using them for many years except for the chargers for my .22lr mags. They even make a .22lr version. They make loading even the toughest magazines much easier. I can't believe more people don't use them, but I rarely hear them mentioned on gun forums.

Lonestar49
March 6, 2010, 08:52 PM

Easiest mags to load out of my small herd was, from the very get-go (NIB), the 3 EMP 9mm mags that came with it..

The wife really appreciated both the ease of loading up all 9, and the gun itself.

Ls

rha600
March 6, 2010, 09:22 PM
Ruger MarkIII .22lr magazine using the ultimate cliploader. :D

therickster
March 6, 2010, 11:20 PM
If I was to replace my XD (probably sticking with 9mm, though) here would be some things on my radar: Glock 17 or 19, Beretta 92FS, Hi-Power, or a Ruger SR9. I'm sure we could all argue over the actual guns for many days, but I'm mostly just curious about the different mag styles right now. So I'm just wondering who has experience with any of these. Thanks in advance, guys.

REAPER4206969
March 6, 2010, 11:46 PM
1911 Wilson Combat ETM.

bds
March 7, 2010, 01:35 AM
I have an XDm 9mm that is a major pain to load. It came with a speedloader, which definitely makes it easier, but still takes a lot of time and effort.

I recommend for new Glock magazines to be loaded with as many rounds as you can load and keep them loaded to reduce the "over tension" on the new springs. The stiff spring tension will ease over time - they were designed for extended full magazine carry. I think your XD may be the same.

Also the XD mag springs seem to catch in weird places and aren't holding the same tension throughout (sometimes the bullet on top will be loose).

Give Springfield a call for a replacement. Your magazine follower/spring should not catch/bind anywhere. Your spring should apply firm pressure even to the last round. And maybe it's your mag follower/spring that's causing the problem of difficulty loading your rounds.

If I was to replace my XD (probably sticking with 9mm, though) here would be some things on my radar: Glock 17 or 19, Beretta 92FS, Hi-Power, or a Ruger SR9. ... but I'm mostly just curious about the different mag styles right now.

If you are just having a magazine problem, I would not toss out the gun yet.

sidheshooter
March 7, 2010, 01:48 AM
Single stack 1911 mags, yes.

I also find the double stacks for my old S&W 669 to be easy as well, at least for the first 11.

Autolycus
March 7, 2010, 02:23 AM
The Mec-Gar Sig magazines are easy for me. So are the Glock 9mms.

CajunBass
March 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
That's funny. The magazines for my XD-9 were super easy to load I thought. So are the ones for the Smith & Wesson Sigma. And the 1911 (in 45) is a snap.

The about worst I've ever seen are the ten round mags for my wife's Glock 19. It's all I can do to get the last two rounds in even using the supplied tool.

devildog4329
March 7, 2010, 07:29 AM
Therickster. To answer your question about the different pistols to replace your XD. You would have to be more specific. What do you use your handgun for?

To give some insight. G19 great all around handgun. Easy to conceal, accurate, reliable.
92FS- very reliable, Easy to operate, easy manual of arms, combat proven. Not saying tha others are not. I saw many G19's while in Iraq.
Hi-Power- Single action only, reliable, easy to break down and clean.

These are all great weapons and to hones i own 2 Hi-Powers, a G19, Sig P250, 1911, ruger MKIII, and a Sig Mosquito. I dont do the whole chevy vs. ford, Sig vs. CZ vs. Glock thing. I like all weapons and beleive they all have different uses. I think you should go to the range and shoot them and see which one, ones you like and buy those.

harmon rabb
March 7, 2010, 09:02 AM
anything single stack.

okespe04
March 7, 2010, 01:15 PM
^ yeah, just about any single stack.

W.E.G.
March 7, 2010, 01:57 PM
I find most magazines to be a big pain in the WALLET to reload.

Single stack --- double stack, all hurts about the same.

+1 for the UPLULA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zos_7e-c4t0

http://www.gunsngear.com.au/prodimages/uplula%20mag%20loader.jpg

hhersh
March 7, 2010, 02:39 PM
+ 1 for the Uplula...loads all mags easily !!

The Bushmaster
March 7, 2010, 02:45 PM
Colt Woodsman with the button on the extererior of the magazine...

NMGonzo
March 7, 2010, 04:33 PM
Single stack 1911 ... low pressure spring and big heavy rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Easiest Pistol Magazine to Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!