Handgun Companies ATTN Ergonomic attachments

PDA

Nicodemus38
March 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
In 2008 a company called Constitution Arms launched an ergonomic designed PALM PISTOL TM for the elderly/arthritically crippled crowd of gun users. After 2 years the company seems to be dead for all useful intents.

I am wondering if any company that makes guns or gun accessories is actually interested in making devices that allow a person to use the handgun they already own, despite arhtritis or low hand strength, etc?

At least products that arent nothing more then soft rubber grips that get slippery very fast and easily and reduced power spring kits that can keep you from using very common and somewhat hard to ignite primers in your weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Companies ATTN Ergonomic attachments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ragnar Danneskjold
March 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
Well I would say that there is somewhat of a limit that can even be done. Certain springs inside firearms just have to be at certain tensions in order to operate, or you get the "some ammo won't work" effect you mentioned. If an elderly individual cannot handle the stresses created by such springs, they are kinda SOL.

Nicodemus38
March 6, 2010, 11:40 PM
I understand the mechanical limits upon wich the given weapons need to work. To much design and drafting knowledge and training to dispute that, or even think changing parts.

I mean more along the lines of, "yes Ms/Mr/Mrs Smythe, we can let your arthritic/carpul tunneled hands work the stock springs on your favorite 1911 or jframe, M29, etc simply by letting a gunsmith install this part, most often with absolutely NO ALTERATION to the firearm, were talking, take the accessory unit off, and the factory gunsmiths would only be able to say, "hey fred, this gun has a wear line from replacement grips"

The Lone Haranguer
March 7, 2010, 09:02 AM
If determined enough, a conventional handgun can be operated by people with physical limitations, even arthritis or missing digits. Under some circumstances a "palm pistol" might even be worse. It would almost have to have some kind of DAO trigger mechanism which would give it a heavy trigger pull, and any cartridge larger than a .22 is going to recoil straight back into the wrist. There is a reason why this device failed in the marketplace. Also, search Google Images for a "palm pistol" and you will find almost identical designs over 100 years old, so it is nothing new, either.

Deus Machina
March 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
I would think that it would be possible to pretty simply replace the hammer and trigger springs, and end up with an extremely light trigger pull but be limited to ammunition with extremely soft, perhaps specially made primers.

The problem with this is that hands that can't handle a trigger also can't handle much in the way of recoil, and there's no such thing as an effective .40 with recoil like a .22. The user would be limited to what he can control, and this would keep it probably around a .380 locked-breach or downward into the .32 and .25 ranges. Any gun is better than no gun, but a stout 9mm is still worlds better than a .25.

Nicodemus38
March 7, 2010, 08:29 PM
recoil does impact what gun and caliber you can safely and comfortably used. But after reading so many posts on here about:
"wife/gf/cousin/physically impaired person can shoot a 20 ounce campact semi auto in 9mm, 380, 45 acp, 38 super just as well as he/she can shoot a full size version of the same weapon. Provided that someone is there to rack the slide and chamber a round for them because they dont have the hand strength to do so on their own."

The question is, is there any effective interest whatsoever in the manufacturing community to dealwith this problem other then the following snippets of wisdom?

-get lighter springs in that thar gun
-get a shotgun
-get a gun in a weaker, less recoiling caliber because the inability to rack the slide on your gun means you cant shoot a more powerful cartridge even though you have video tape proof you can shoot a full size berretta/glock/1911 in 45 acp and hit a dvd case every time at 40 yards.

General Geoff
March 7, 2010, 08:34 PM
You want to reduce recoil on your handgun? Bolt some lead weights to the frame.

Nicodemus38
March 8, 2010, 10:21 PM
recoil reduction is not the problem. The problem is that lots of people can comfortably shoot a high powered handgun (ie 23 ounce 44 or 454 or 357, etc) all day long, but have an extremely hard to operating the slide or hammer or Double Action component of a revolver due to hand issues.

Look at the recommendation posts for "girlfriend can shoot my 1911 great, just cant work the slide. so what gun should i buy her?" thats what i want to deal with.

So why is there such limited interest in dealing with this segment of the population of gunowners solely limited to selling them new guns in lower powered chamberings?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Companies ATTN Ergonomic attachments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!