Inlay gold coin in stock-Tacky or Classy

PDA

bushmaster1313
March 6, 2010, 11:14 PM
I have toyed with the idea of inlaying a small gold coin into one of the cheeks at the head of a gunstock.

Does this sound tacky or classy?

Anyone have a picture of something like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Inlay gold coin in stock-Tacky or Classy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crash_Test_Dhimmi
March 6, 2010, 11:16 PM
I dont know about Gold, but I know british soldiers would put penny's, with the queens head face up, inlaid in the butt stocks of lee enfields for good luck.

X-Rap
March 6, 2010, 11:20 PM
My dad has a SA Colt with small gold Mexican coins and gold bull horns and ruby red eyes made from some kind of shell. They look plenty tacky but back in the 20's they must have been the cats meow.

JEB
March 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
IMHO it depends on what coin you're using and what gun you're putting them on.

bushmaster1313
March 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
Small gold U.S. coin, eagle side up in the head of an Ithaca Model 37 on the right cheek

bobelk99
March 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
This is a 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' thing.

I vote no, but I have seen some expensive guns with such.

medalguy
March 6, 2010, 11:37 PM
Another no vote. I hate to find a really nice classic gun that someone has "customized" in such a way that they have ruined its collector value or done something that is just too personal for others to want. Kinda like refinishing an AR in pink Durakote.:barf:.

Avenger29
I vote tacky, but you have to take it in the context of I don't like engraving, gold inlaying, or anything like that on a gun.

A deep, glossy blue, beautiful, polished wood, and the occasional small manufacturer's medallion are about as "fancy" as I ever care to see on a gun.

SuperNaut
My Grandpa-in-Law(?) left me a sporterized Enfield and a Silver Dollar, I inlaid the silver dollar in the stock. I don't care if some internet fashion consultant thinks it's tacky.

bushmaster1313
March 6, 2010, 11:53 PM
I put a coin on the stock to get an idea of how it would look.

It looks terrible!

I think the person who put his grandfather's silver dollar into his grandfather's gun is a genius!

Can we get a picture?

RyanM
March 6, 2010, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a waste of gold, to me. That crap is up to over $1,100 an ounce, meaning the smallest size of Eagle is worth over $110!

owlhoot
March 7, 2010, 03:57 AM
It is your gun and your gold coin. Screw what anybody else thinks. If it pleases you, that is all that is necessary. Bear in mind that the past couple of generations have proved beyond a doubt that they have no taste. Otherwise, how do you account for the wide popularity of rap and hip-hop, baggy pants, oversize tops, ball caps worn sideways, tatoos that cover 20 percent of total skin surface, piercings, and painted gun finishes. So, just as nobody should give a flip what I think, you shouldn't give a flip what the forum thinks. Go for it if you like the idea.

rocky branch
March 7, 2010, 04:13 AM
+1..

Mr. Bojangles
March 7, 2010, 04:51 AM
I think, if done well, it could look really nice. It's a breath of fresh air to see some truly customized stuff at the range instead of the typical ar with cheap plastic hanging off the rails.

ArkieVol
March 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
It's not a gold coin but it is gold and it's inlaid in a gun stock. It was done as a presentation piece.

My son graduated from the police academy the same year I retired from the PD ('95) so, for his academy graduation present, I cased two unfired S&W's that were factory engraved with the PD name and logo. I also had a 14K replica of his badge inlaid in the pao ferro stock of one gun, included my uniform coat badge, and had a dated presentation plaque engraved for the top of the case.

He's never carried the gun but, even if he had, it wouldn't look bad but this was more for sentiment that decoration. The guns are S&W 9mm models 5946 & 3953. Not a great photo of it but you get the idea.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/ArkieVol/guns/rongunsx.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
March 7, 2010, 08:41 AM
I think such an addition would look better if it were symmetrical, i.e., inlay an identical coin into both sides of the stock, near the butt where your cheek will not contact it while shooting.

DeepSouth
March 7, 2010, 09:20 AM
I have seen several guns with a NRA or NWTF coin in the stock.
Something like this.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/159874000/159874960/pix398946484.jpg

SaxonPig
March 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
Totally up to you. A matter of personal taste. I wouldn't alter a rare or valuable gun but on a gun you use, if you like the idea then do it. You don't have to please anyone other than yourself.

I have a couple of guns that have been personalized. This 1911 has an emblem of my design scrimshawed on the fake ivory stock with a small diamond mounted below it. Sparkles in the sunlight and I like it.

http://www.fototime.com/1AABCF09C8039E5/standard.jpg

These are genuine ivory stocks with a Medieval chess piece scrimshawed on the left side.

http://www.fototime.com/51B97E0E74B71D5/standard.jpg

Colt Official Police that a previous owner inlaid the stocks with bits of ivory and engraved the date 1937. Pretty ugly but it must have had some meaning to him.

http://www.fototime.com/A57E03BC42BB8AE/standard.jpg

Someone enlaid an ivory diamond in the stock of this Remington. Again, who knows why?

http://www.fototime.com/84CABBB8153A126/standard.jpg

Gunfighter123
March 7, 2010, 12:56 PM
There are hundreds/thousands of Winchester lever rifles that came with factory medallions {sp?} set in the stock.

I've seen bunches of WW2 guns with inlays of the owners rank , unit , awards , etc.
Also , AK47s with USSR badges etc. in the stock.

I don't have many { two I think } firearms with inlays ---- IF DONE RIGHT some are both functional and beautiful.

rondog
March 7, 2010, 01:01 PM
Tacky. Don't do it, you'll regret it.

thorazine
March 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
Another vote for...

[X] Tacky.

However if it pleases you then by all means -- go for it!

rfwobbly
March 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
My first Daisy BB gun back in the 50's had a "medallion" molded into the stock with the "Outdoor Code" on it.

Is that the same thing? :rolleyes:

rcmodel
March 7, 2010, 03:26 PM
No.
The value of an unmodified gun will go down.
The value of the gold coin embedded in the stock will go down too.

With very few exceptions, it looks tacky.
Some exceptions include a silver peso "Texas Rangers badge" in Colt SAA or 1911 Grips.
They look classic, because the Rangers really did do that sometimes.

rc

bushmaster1313
March 7, 2010, 04:01 PM
I am not going to do it!

russ69
March 7, 2010, 06:25 PM
Put the coin on the bottom of the pistol grip, it only shows when the gun is in the rack, a touch of class...........

Thanx, Russ

Jim_100
March 7, 2010, 07:04 PM
Supernaut, I think what you did is cool. It might not be for every gun but your application is awesome.

Wheeler44
March 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
Folks advised me that re-bluing an heirloom would "ruin the collectors value".....
I felt responsible for the marred finish so I had it professionally re-blued.

30 odd years later...

The future owner of said heirloom thanked me for "fixin' up grampas' old gun"

Then he banned me from "wearin' it out"...at least until it's his.....

bushmaster1313
March 7, 2010, 08:31 PM
Put the coin on the bottom of the pistol grip, it only shows when the gun is in the rack, a touch of class...........

Thanx, Russ

Excellent idea. If the coin goes in the grip cap is the perfect spot. Just have to make sure the grip cap doesn't come off too easy!

Autolycus
March 7, 2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by owlhoot:
It is your gun and your gold coin. Screw what anybody else thinks. If it pleases you, that is all that is necessary. Bear in mind that the past couple of generations have proved beyond a doubt that they have no taste. Otherwise, how do you account for the wide popularity of rap and hip-hop, baggy pants, oversize tops, ball caps worn sideways, tatoos that cover 20 percent of total skin surface, piercings, and painted gun finishes. So, just as nobody should give a flip what I think, you shouldn't give a flip what the forum thinks. Go for it if you like the idea.
The previous generation is the one that raised us? Who would be to blame? Sadly since we had no guidance and poor examples to look up to we went to what people naturally enjoy. But please explain what is wrong with rap and hip-hop? As well as baggy pants and oversize tops and baseball caps not worn with the bill forward? The same with large tattoos and piercings? Please explain I am confused.

I myself don't like the idea of the coin in the stock. It is neat but I would be afriad of losing it and this is just more money I would lose. Especially if this is a shooter. But if you like it then go for it. Some people, especially older folks, seem very willing to criticize without any logical reason, but for me it is simply not to my taste and I would fear losing the coin.

The Wiry Irishman
March 8, 2010, 01:41 AM
Some exceptions include a silver peso "Texas Rangers badge" in Colt SAA or 1911 Grips.

I've got a nickel from 1911 I'm planning on putting in a set of 1911 grips.

luigi
March 8, 2010, 02:50 AM
My Grandpa-in-Law(?) left me a sporterized Enfield and a Silver Dollar, I inlaid the silver dollar in the stock. I don't care if some internet fashion consultant thinks it's tacky.

That's different though you had a reason and it worked. If you're just doing it for looks no

AzBuckfever
March 8, 2010, 03:18 AM
I think it looks tacky. Maybe in the bottom of the foreend though?

mxl
March 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
I vote tacky--not to mention loss of value to the firearm.

Sav .250
March 8, 2010, 01:13 PM
Different strokes for different folks.............:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Inlay gold coin in stock-Tacky or Classy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!