Are these rounds loaded touching the rifling?

PDA

rfwobbly
March 7, 2010, 07:30 PM
I watched these professional reloaders.
But I thing their bullets are touching the rifling.

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTk5-JX8qI)

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these rounds loaded touching the rifling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
remmag
March 7, 2010, 07:32 PM
that is wicked

JimKirk
March 7, 2010, 08:54 PM
Not just touching but jammed into the rifling!

What is the priming system on those guns?

Jimmy K

bds
March 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
Bagged propellant allows the amount of powder to be raised or lowered depending on the range to the target. it also makes handling of larger shells easier...With bagged charges the breech itself provides obturation and holds the primer. In either case the primer is usually percussion but electrical is also used and laser ignition is emerging. Modern 155 mm guns have a primer magazine fitted to their breech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery

Range of 14 miles with conventional ammo and 18.6 miles with rocket propelled rounds - Awesome!

Self-guided round? - wow, artillery has come a long way.

SADARM: An experimental munition which is fired in the general direction of an enemy vehicle. The shell activates at a certain point in time ejecting a parachute and then guides itself to the nearest vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M198_howitzer

twofifty
March 8, 2010, 12:44 AM
a surprisingly short recoil stroke all things considered.

chris in va
March 8, 2010, 02:29 AM
Not much recoil. Must be using the 155 Special rounds.

mongoose33
March 8, 2010, 08:02 AM
Amazing choreography. I was watching the "shooter": the guy pulling the firing lanyard; he pulls it, then immediately goes to grab the plunger which seats the round. While he does that, two other guys come in w/ the shell, the shooter brings the plunger around to seat the round, one guy pulls the plunger out of the way, the shooter grabs a bag of powder from another guy, sets it into place, grabs what looks like maybe a primer (or equivalent) from another guy, puts it into place, another guy (presumably an officer?) is checking the sighting and then giving the order to fire.

Impressive teamwork.

JimKirk
March 8, 2010, 08:29 AM
The top cat seems to check a number or code on every round and every powder bag, no Kabooms there!

Jimmy K

GRIZ22
March 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
Amazing choreography.

Having done that several thousand times, trust me, it is well rehearsed.

I don't have any videos but have also had to hand ram an 8" howitzer with a broken loader/rammer on an M110. Those rounds weigh about 200 lbs more than twice as much as the 155.

Ric
March 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
Shooting a charge four, green bag. Very light load. Not swabbing the bore between firing either.
Still a kick a## video, no wasted motion, timing was great.
(I was a gun section chief)

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these rounds loaded touching the rifling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!