30-06 Ammo Maker ID

PDA

Maj Dad
March 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
I posted this question over on the CMP M1/M14 Forum, but thought I'd ask here as well as I am pretty sure knowledge also resides here... :cool:

I have some 30-06 I bought in Browning links 8-10 years ago that is headstamped "88" at 12 o'clock and "30-06" at 6 o'clock. Anyone familiar with it? On the Cartridge Collectors website (http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm ) it is id'd as mfg'd by Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL, but I thought it was marketed as Hungarian. If Olin made, was it for a foreign country/govt (e.g, Hungary)? Questions pop up in my mind, but it shoots very well and the brass is of excellent quality. The primer is sealed with a red lacquer around the edge.

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 Ammo Maker ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 8, 2010, 12:54 PM
1988 manufactured Yugoslavian.
I don't think Western or Winchester had anything to do with it.

http://100megsfree4.com/airground/ammo/yugoslav.htm

rc

GRIZ22
March 8, 2010, 01:40 PM
I've fired the Yugo ammo packaged as Hansen is several calibers including 30-06. Worked fine in M1s and is at least as good as US military ammo. If it's boxer primed it's non-corrosive. Primer pockets are a little tight but that can be fixed.

Maj Dad
March 8, 2010, 09:26 PM
May have been Yugo I was meaning to say - Balkan, for sure. It shoots very well in M1s & 03s and reloads easily. I have been using the RCBS swager and that may open the pocket up enough to avoid seating problems, which I haven't experienced. I was told by some guy it was Win. mfg, which I seriously doubted and he referred me to the Cartridge site. I agree, rc - not US mfg, Yugo by acclamation. Good ammo, regardless, and the price was good enough to get me to spring for a couple of thousand. Now I have all those links (got delinking down to an art, though)...

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 Ammo Maker ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!