So I Took my CCW Course Today . . .

PDA

Losov
March 7, 2010, 07:19 PM
. . . which has caused me to rethink my choice of a concealed carry weapon.

I was sure it would be a semi-auto but now I'm not at all sure. There were 12 of us, most using semi-autos, Sigs, Glocks, etc. I had a twenty year old Colt King Cobra. There were more damn malfunctions involving the semis than I would have thought possible, on almost every group requiring alibi shooters and various time outs. This included some very well cared for pieces belonging to the range staff.

I don't have a lot of experience with semi-autos (ie, none) and I'm thinking it'll stay that way.

Let's see what that S&W 642 is going for . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "So I Took my CCW Course Today . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
March 7, 2010, 07:29 PM
Couple of things.

Why do you assume that loaner range guns are "very well cared for"?

If these people needed loaner guns, it means they didn't have their own guns which had been properly tested for carry. It is also very likely that they are going to limp-wrist and fail to seat magazines more than people who have their own guns.

Any gun, whether it be a revolver or auto, must be tested thoroughly with the ammo and magazines you are going to carry before you decide it is safe for carry.

The correct carry gun is the one YOU have tried and YOU shoot best. If that turns out to be your Colt, then carry it.

wrs840
March 7, 2010, 07:33 PM
I've seen it. Sadly, many noob CCW class attendees bring weapons that haven't been fired in years. Range staff? Well, there's no excuse for that. A well cared-for auto should be ultra-reliable or repaired... if it can't be repaired, it should be retired.

That said, everyone should own a 642 or 442, so I can't disagree on that if you're inspired to buy one. Other good choices can be you next buy...

Les

Old Shooter
March 7, 2010, 07:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with going with the 642.

I'm kind of surprised there were multiple failures with the semi's. Mayby with the beginners taking the class, but with the range staff also?

Musta been a bad Karma day.

I usually switch between a Colt Commander and a Kel-Tec P11 but I do have a Smith 36 I sometimes stick in the back pocket. It all depends on the activities planned for the day and the clothing to suit.

BossHogg
March 7, 2010, 07:45 PM
yeah ,revolvers seem to be more dependable . Just not as many different things to go wrong. Now the great debate of just as many things can happen to a revolver,but let's be real get that J-frame.

EddieNFL
March 7, 2010, 08:29 PM
"A man's got to know his limitations."

KBintheSLC
March 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
Any type of gun can fail at some point in its life. The days of "inherently unreliable" autos are long gone. If you take proper care of your piece, it should function at 100%. My defensive autos are as reliable as my revolvers.

ny32182
March 7, 2010, 10:43 PM
If you are getting malfunctions out of a service grade auto (Sig, Glock, etc) there is something wrong with the gun or ammo.

How many cops and military use autos? All of them.

JoeSlomo
March 7, 2010, 10:49 PM
Nothing wrong with a revolver if that's what you may feel more comfortable with for defense.

Rest assured, semi's are reliable, however, the operator of the weapon has alot to do with it with respects to tuning ammo, mags, and sometimes the gun itself.

poor_richard
March 7, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'm more liable to believe the problems with the semiautos was more due to the shooters or ammo than the gun. Probably more the shooters than the gun.

When I took my class, I had problems with my G19.

We were only allowed to load six rounds at a time, and every time I slammed home a mag, the force caused the cartridges to move around causing a malf of some sort since the cartridges were out of place. Probably could use new mag springs since those ones are original, but they are just range mags anyway, so the old springs work fine with a full mag.

Some of the range newbs probably thought similar to you when they saw me having problems with my gun. Course, that doesn't matter to me since those were just the range mags, and they still work flawlessly as long as they are loaded.

Someone shooting a borrowed gun at a CCW class is not an example I would use for semi-auto reliability.

strambo
March 7, 2010, 11:23 PM
I would bet most of those "malfunctions" weren't...they were likely operator induced. Like an alibi because the gun won't shoot (on safe), alibi because the slide locked back (thumb under slide lock) ect.

I've owned 3 auto pistols. The first was unreliable and I got rid of it (Para P13), the next 2 (Kahr K9 and Sig P226) have been 100% so far with all sorts of ammo, reloads, FMJ, different brand HPs

edit: there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing a revolver based on that experience. Get one you can shoot and handle well, practice reloading with either speed strips or speed loaders and without.

R. Deckard
March 7, 2010, 11:27 PM
This included some very well cared for pieces belonging to the range staff.

I am reading this as the shooter taking the class was using a pistol supplied by the range and was therefore not familiar with the gun so it is most likely malfunctions caused by the user, not the weapon itself.

Deckard

murdoc rose
March 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
Personally I dislike auto loaders but if you have a good gun and take the time to fine the right ammo for it and keep it right you shouldn't have a problem. If you feel safer/more comfortable with a revolver feel free to carry it. However don't say no to autos completely, never hurts to get some experience with one in case you have to use one.

Losov
March 8, 2010, 12:16 AM
I'll give thought to all these comments. thanks.

The Colt's way too big & heavy for year round CC. I still haven't ruled out an auto loader but the experience did make me stop and think, and obviously, post here. Someone brought up limp wristing and that's a good point. I didn't know who these guys were, and a few of them were a little goofy.

I think I'll probably start with the 642 but that doesn't mean I can't also have a semi auto which will be carefully chosen and practiced with. I see people talking about the expense of guns, but my other hobby is playing acoustic guitar. Guns are WAY less expensive than those things (although ammo is way more costly than strings)

I didn't mean to stir up yet another round in an age old debate, but I do appreciate your taking time to respond.

trickyasafox
March 8, 2010, 01:31 AM
I took a defensive pistol class (not a ccw class, more like an intro to tactical shooting) and there were tons of malfunctions there as well. I think a lot of people don't realize that if you don't shoot regularly, a few hundred rounds in one day can fatigue a shooter into malfunctions.

sadly, there was only one revolver shooter at that class (a friend of mine) and only 2 1911 shooters (myself being one of them)

nothing wrong with the newer guns- I just can't help but think people are limiting themselves by not considering other shooting platforms besides the new polymer guns. As much as I love my glocks, if I hadn't been willing to try another platform, I'd never realize that I shoot 1911s and old revolvers much better.

twofifty
March 8, 2010, 01:39 AM
What amazed me being new to handguns was that revolvers will fire rounds just as quickly as semis - but they run dry sooner.
Get that wheelgun, practice with it, and it will serve you well.

You can also use revolvers in IDPA and USPSA, which are fun competitive games that will teach you how to shoot fast and accurate, and reload on the fly.

JoeSlomo
March 8, 2010, 02:48 AM
I didn't mean to stir up yet another round in an age old debate, but I do appreciate your taking time to respond.

No worries.

The important thing is to find a tool you are competent and confident with, be it a revolver or auto.

I'd like to second the recommendation of shooting in USPSA or IDPA matches when time and circumstance permit. You will meet very friendly folks, and many have years and years of experience firing unholy amounts of ammo through your particular gun.

Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "So I Took my CCW Course Today . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!