I carry because....

PDA

mugsie
March 8, 2010, 09:33 AM
After reading numerous threads, in not only this forum, but in several others as well, I felt I needed to put my two cents "on paper" (does anyone do that anymore? write on paper - why did I learn cursive in the first place?!).

I carry - always. I live in a great neighborhood - voted one of the top 5 in the US. Safe - sure. Doors unlocked at night - yup - when I forget to lock them. So why carry.

Well, prior to living here in PA, I lived in NY. Terrible neighborhood. Gangs, such as MS13 all over. Black and white distrust constantly. Black and hispanic hatred. Couldn't walk the streets at night. Neighboorhood began running down when the absentee landloards moved in. Welfare types took over - ruin the house, no problem - govt will get em' a new one. Being in NY - I couldn't carry. Only politicians could carry. Then needed to protect themselves. Me? The common folk? I was expendible.

Moved to PA. got a carry license and now I carry full time. Why? When I live in such a pristine area with virtually no crime to speak of? Because one never knows when some idiot is going to put my life, the lives of the ones I love, or my fellow citizens in jeopardy. I'm prepared to defend myself and others should the need ever arise. I hope I go through my entire life without ever having to remove my gun from my holster in anger, but should that day arrive, I am prepared to do so.

So why do I carry? Other than because I can - well, to me, being a good citizen means taking responsibility for myself and my neighbors. I carry because men who walked before me gave up their very lives to grant me that right, and I will not let them down. I will do everything in my power to defend that right, and I will be a good citizen.

Thanks why I carry.

Why do you carry?

If you enjoyed reading about "I carry because...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
March 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Because I can, and a freedom unused is a freedom that will go away.

mcdonl
March 8, 2010, 09:54 AM
Because I can, and I like guns. I like motorcycles, so I ride them I like guns so I carry them.

They also have the added benefit of providing personal protection, just like the motorcycle has the added benefit of transportation. Very similar.

glove
March 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
As above Because I can it is my God given right.
Dave

Quoheleth
March 8, 2010, 10:01 AM
...a gun is lighter than a policeman, more effective than a sharp stick, and the State allows me so I choose to exercise that right and freedom.

My wife does not understand and disapproves, but tolerates it. I hope and pray I never have to show her, first hand, why I carry it.

Q

BlayGlock
March 8, 2010, 10:06 AM
For protection.

AWorthyOpponent
March 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
I began carrying because I live in one of the most dangerous cities in the United States (statistically). I was never into guns, but I was never Anti. I began to notice crime in the local area raise and got my first handgun to protect my house and the others inside. began shooting and found a new passion. The CCW was a natural progression and since I have had it I feel much safer going out places. I still look over my shoulder and avoid the scenarios that would advocate becoming a victim, but I now feel better about taking the trash out at night. Also, since the wife got one (same time) I personally feel better about her going out with friends, getting stuck on the highway, etc when I am not there.

Also, It's our right as Law Abiding Citizens

janedoedad
March 8, 2010, 10:13 AM
For all legal purposes.

And the fact that where I live is considered easy pickings for the out-of-town bad guys.

Harvey
March 8, 2010, 02:01 PM
When seconds count, the police are only fifteen minutes away.

halfded
March 8, 2010, 02:06 PM
Mug me once, shame on me; mug me twice, shame on you..:evil:

TeamPrecisionIT
March 8, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was shot at once while deployed while I was unarmed and I have vowed that I will never let them happen again. That is why I carry.

Damian

EddieNFL
March 8, 2010, 02:16 PM
My wife does not understand and disapproves, but tolerates it.

My wife felt the same for the first 20 years of our marriage. About two years ago, she said, "I need to get my permit." She now carries everywhere it's legal.

PTK
March 8, 2010, 02:25 PM
I carry because I can't run away, these days. Stupid heart...

Hellbore
March 8, 2010, 02:39 PM
I carry because there are a lot of other people out there with guns too (including criminals of course) and I don't want to be at a disadvantage :D

ATBackPackin
March 8, 2010, 03:15 PM
I carry because I don't get to choose when and where a criminal will do something stupid.

Texas Gun Person
March 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
I carry so that I can better protect my family, and myself.

mljdeckard
March 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
There are a couple of ways to look at it. Where you live now may well be relatively safer, but you have absolutely no idea when a bad event will happen. Remember the ghoul who did the mass homicide in the Amish school a few years ago. There always exists the possibility that someone will do something horrific simply BECAUSE the setting is so perfect it must be destroyed.

In my hometown, we not only didn't lock our doors, once my family left town for an extended period and when we got back, I had to break in because we had absolutely no idea where the key was. (Neither me nor my parents still live that way.) Since I moved, that town has enacted a mandatory firearms ownership policy, but it was superfluous. Everyone already had a gun anyway, even the hemp-wearing tree huggers. I do not believe that the presence or absence of guns causes or prevents crime, but at the same time, one must acknowledge that people are a lot more civil in an armed environment.

I carry because I have made a decision that I am responsible for my own safety. This is a philosophy that extends beyond safety. I don't rely on banks for my retirement, I don't rely on paramedics to keep my kids from getting injured, I don't rely on firement to prevent a fire in my house, I don't rely on the government to take the lead in finishing my education and improving my career options, I don't rely on the school system to teach my kids the fundamental things they must know to survive in and improve society, SO THEN, why would I possibly rely on the police to protect me from bad things happening to me?

I carry because a cop won't fit in my pocket. Even if there WERE enough cops that one could follow me 24-7, I wouldn't want them to.

Losov
March 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
I have fire extinguishers in my home and I know how to use them. I hope I never need them, but if I do I want them to be handy.

Not an original analogy, but it works.

Hellbore
March 8, 2010, 03:39 PM
The anti-gun crowd needs to read a thread like this.

Every time I have talked to an anti-gun person, they have told me that they basically assume people carry guns because they WANT to shoot someone. Seriously, this is often an assumption these people make about a gun owner...

preachnhunt
March 8, 2010, 04:01 PM
I carry because when I was in seminary 25 years ago I worked as a chaplain in the state prison that houses most of the sex offenders in the state of Ky.
I have talked with people who have committed the unspeakable and know that given a chance there are more than a few who would visit horror on my wife, or children, or myself. I cannot let that happen. Ever.

CoRoMo
March 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
Because I can't carry around a police officer.

WardenWolf
March 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
Because I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

danprkr
March 8, 2010, 05:30 PM
You can't enslave an armed man. You can only kill him.

I used that as my sig line for a while, but to answer the question: because I refuse to be a slave!

cleardiddion
March 8, 2010, 05:41 PM
Because my butt is worth more than the scumbag that's trying to take it.

Deanimator
March 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
I carry because

Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.

Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.

Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

Protect yourself or just don't get protected at all.

GBExpat
March 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
Simple ... I carry so that the time does not come for me to realize that if I had my pistol in my back pocket (as I do right now) I (or innocent others) would not have to die at the hands of a murderous miscreant.

lions
March 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
...I'm too old to fist fight and too young to die.

makarovnik
March 8, 2010, 07:05 PM
...Because I can.

Please, even if you don't want to carry a concealed weapon, apply for a permit anyway. We need to exercise our rights.

schnarrgj
March 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
Why do I carry? For a variety of reasons here are a few,

1) God gave me the gift of life and the wonderful gift of a family. He gave
me these gift to use to their fullest. I was not entrusted with them to allow evil to destroy them. To allow that to happen is an abomination to Him. To save the world is not my intent.

2) I do not carry because I feel inadequate. If confronted with a situation in which I am not able to defend what is dear, I will have the ability to defend.

3) I do not carry to kill , but to protect my life and to live to an old age. If I must kill, it has not been my choice but the evil ( I refuse to give the thing the name human) that forced it.

4) I carry because I want to live in peace. Having seen evil in the world and in my neighborhood, I know that evil does not respect weakness. I do not and will not seek a confrontation, but if one is forced on me, I will do what ever is needed to end it peacefully if possible but if needed I will protect my gifts without hesitation or mercy. I owe that to my family and to my God.

Being a little older than many of the people on this forum, I find that the person who does carry, is usually more considerate and forgiving. I have seen and experience too much of this evil to think that I or my family is immune. Preparedness and watchfulness is needed. My wife carries also.

NMGonzo
March 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
no one else will be there to cover my retreat with fire

BullfrogKen
March 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
It took me a while to come to the place in my life where I could articulate it.

It's not about safety.
It's not about saving my life, or anyone I care about.
Bad things happen, and the presence of a gun in my hands won't always stop it.

I carry because I will not be subjugated to the demands of evil men.

LouisCipher777
March 8, 2010, 08:35 PM
... because the bad guys aren't exactly coming at me with wiffleball bats. I carry a gun, a knife, and a flashlight at all times because I have learned the folly of thinking I wouldn't need them.

gogodawgs
March 8, 2010, 08:42 PM
Human Rights do not require a reason.

orionengnr
March 8, 2010, 08:43 PM
--I'm too old to die...yet.
--I cannot fight nearly as well, nor run as fast or as far at 50+ as I could at 20. At 5"9", 150 lbs, I was never at a particular advantage anyway.
--I am unwilling to trust my continued existence to the scum of the earth that are all too prevalent these days.
Need I continue?

Dominus
March 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
At last, my permit is less then a fully carry.........please don't remind me of being a lesser citizen with threads like this, thank you.:mad:

Welcome to Westchester NY, they refuse to recognize self defense and Warren v. DC. among others like Heller.:banghead::cuss::barf:

As you were, resume your regularly scheduled programming.

trickyasafox
March 8, 2010, 09:14 PM
I carry because all the cool kids are doing it. . .

but seriously-

none of us are omniscient. We don't know what any given day may hold, no matter how much we try to avoid negative situations. The only thing we do know is that we want to live, and we want those who we care about around us to live. If someone attacks you and threatens your life, they already made a choice for violence. now its just up to you to decide if that violence occurs to you or as a response from you.

shockwave
March 8, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not into the whole begging and pleading on your knees bit. Prefer to have more options.

Eightball
March 8, 2010, 09:17 PM
It's legal and smart.

jeepmor
March 8, 2010, 09:21 PM
I've had family and friends impacted by gun violence, nearly all of them actually being an innocent bystander in the way of the perp and their target. I figured I'd at least like the chance to shoot back.

APDDSN0864
March 8, 2010, 09:29 PM
Because I REFUSE to be a victim!

Ed

MedWheeler
March 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
Because I have a God-given right, and divine animal instinct, to protect and defend myself, my mate, and my offspring.

HGUNHNTR
March 8, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've had family and friends impacted by gun violence

Its just violence, the gun didn't display any aggresion towards you, friends, or family. Lets try to not use the antis marketing terminology against ourselves.

To answer the question. It is the most effective way to defend myself or family from those who wish to do harm.

801sureshot
March 8, 2010, 09:46 PM
Had my permit for exactly one week tommorrow. Have yet to carry. I am picking up a concealable weapon end of the week. Can't seem to get my full sized auto to ride comfortably. In my younger days a fist fight or some other rediculous engagement with some street person didn't seem out of the question, now with a family to provide for I owe them the responsability of being there everyday. My job puts me in many undesirable places and till now my only recourse was to keep my wits about me. Now I'm legal and intend to exercise my right to protect myself.
Seems these days constitutional rights are use em or lose em. I would hope we all take the time to go to a class, pay em the money, and hopefully our sons can enjoy the same freedoms we do.

Old Shooter
March 9, 2010, 07:45 AM
I carry because:

A local college girl attending a concert was abducted and found dead months later in a field that police say only someone familiar with the area (local person) would have known how to get there. Perp still at large.

A young couple in a National forest area were shot and killed in their car by an unknown person. Perp still at large.

Young girl kidnapped from a local Wal-Mart parking lot, still not found. Perp still at large.

Man hiking on the Parkway, shot and killed. I believe this one was captured in another state.

Two campers shot and killed in the National forest area several years ago. Perp still at Large.

Wal-Mart missing persons board list dozens of young people missing. Location of victims and Perps unknown. Local Quick Stops have flyers posted asking for information on missing children and teen agers.

Etc, etc., etc. These BG's are still on the streets and will sooner or later strike again. We pass them every day in the shopping mall, at the grocery store and at the gas station. They are in the line at McDonalds and Burger King, the next aisle over at Wal-Mart and buying beer and in the local Quick Stop.

I have a wife, children and grandchildren. I intend to do my best to protect them from animals like these if it is at all possible. I understand that the odds of my encountering one of these individuals in a life or death situation is slim to none, but so did all the victims listed above. But, if this should happen to me or mine while I am nearby, I intend to do my best to ruin their day and at the least to leave a mark on them they will never forget.

Have a nice day and keep your eyes open.

azyogi
March 9, 2010, 08:05 AM
Boy Scout moto 'Be Prepared' somethings you just don't outgrow.

content
March 9, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // Options I would not have otherwise.

jackstinson
March 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
How many of these threads are there every month?

I'm old, do I need a reason? Other than it's legal and I can?
My Sheriff's office didn't ask me for a reason when they handed me the card.

It isn't because of my god-given anything. It isn't because of some un-named evil (an evil that is too horrible to even contemplate naming, sssshh, it'll hear you and creep out from under the bed!). Meth-heads are not congregating on my street corner. Black sedans are not parked outside my home. I rarely run naked through the ghetto these days. etc etc etc
We all have a natural-born animal instinct to protect ourselves, our mate, our offspring, and our possessions....survival of the most prepared?

Jonah71
March 9, 2010, 09:25 AM
I don't ever want to have that feeling of helplessness again. When you're about to die in the next few seconds but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it because you are trapped and have nothing to fight back with. Logically, I didn't die. But it was only because one BG was afraid enough of the other for whatever reason. What I do know is listening to a couple of very crazy (armed) people get in a serious argument about "to kill or not to kill" me,(and 2 others in the room even more defenseless)) left an impression. And a serious resolve to change neighborhoods and habits. (in '70's btw) It was then I also got serious about self protection. I don't expect trouble in the future. Life is good now. But there's nothing wrong with being prepaired.

wishin
March 9, 2010, 09:32 AM
When seconds count, the police are only fifteen minutes away.
To be safer.......

ctbullseye
March 9, 2010, 05:51 PM
All roads lead to gun ranges, so therefore I'm always ready to go target shooting. Also helps with my arthritis in my back, having a gun there makes it feel better.

Just One Shot
March 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
We all have a natural-born animal instinct to protect ourselves, our mate, our offspring, and our possessions....survival of the most prepared?
:confused:
You have a mighty low opinion of yourself.

Sorry, but I'm not an animal! Views such as this are one of the reasons that human life is devalued by some of those who would take it from you.

Man was created in the image of God. God gave me the gift of life, family, worship and freedom. I will protect those gifts with what ever I have at my disposal.

cambeul41
March 10, 2010, 10:21 AM
I like guns. If I did not, I am not apprehensive enough to carry one.

That said, I am too old and too gimpy to either fight or run as I once could, but I still have my pride and independence, and I am too proud and independent to give up my freedom to go where I will, to hide behind walls, and to go out only, as gun-grabbers constantly advise, in flocks of timorous sheeple — and then only to non-existent “safe places.”

jackstinson
March 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
Man was created in the image of God. God gave me the gift of life, family, worship and freedom
Oops, I forgot about that old fairy tale. Which god did this?

earlthegoat2
March 10, 2010, 10:49 AM
because I live in a neighborhood full of crackheads and meth addicts.

Yes it is a generalization but I cannot wait to quit renting this dive. Moving sucks.

March 10, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not a sheeple.

gym
March 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
It's dangerous out there. After surviving several incidents including a home invasion, I will never put my life in the hands of a criminal to decide if myself or my loved ones should live or die. And they were in good zip codes also. That's where bad guys go hunting.

Just One Shot
March 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Oops, I forgot about that old fairy tale. Which god did this?

Well now, I'm glad you asked.

Why the one true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob of course!

The same one we'll all stand before when this life is done.

DocCas
March 10, 2010, 02:48 PM
Don't bother, Just One Shot. jackstinson doesn't believe our right to self preservation is God given. He thinks the government is all-mighty, and he is incapable of allowing anyone to believe anything different from what he believes. Kind of like the Brady Bunch. :(

rugerman
March 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
Due to my arthritis I can't out run them or out fight them so I choose to carry a gun so if I need it I can defend myself. Naw I've been carring since I was 21 and mean as a snake. It just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have "my little friend " with me.

TexasBill
March 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
Because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Hunt480
March 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
I carry because I had to use it for persuasion a few times in the past
,and its just a matter of time when I will need it again especially in these desperate times we are living in.
It sure is great to have the option of "have it not need it". I am armed all day everyday.
Its hard to beleive that people do not carry or even own a gun in these times. I think these people are nuts to just go anywhere without the great equalizer.I guess I could help one of these nuts in a pinch. Bottom line is "its nuts not to carry".
My .02

Kleanbore
March 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
Two words: risk management.

The same answer applies to many questions, including

Why do I have insurance?
Why do I have fire extinguishers?
Why do I have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?
Why do I throw out questionable leftover food?
Why do I practice shooting?
Why do I have a back-up electrical generator?
Why do we keep the doors locked?

Mr.Davis
March 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx297/tdavis021484/firstcontact1260.jpg

"They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"

-Jean Luc Picard, Star Trek: First Contact, speaking about the Borg invasion

I believe it's every man's right and responsibility to resist evil. Carrying a gun guarantees I will always have at least two options - comply or resist. Like Picard, I will do my best to make oppression and destruction a hazardous profession!

bottom shelf
March 10, 2010, 11:57 PM
I like guns. Like being around them. What better way than to carry one? I'm just lucky to have a job where it's not prohibited.

If you enjoyed reading about "I carry because...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!