S&W Combat Revolver Package?

PDA

wlewisiii
March 8, 2010, 11:14 AM
It's a bad thing, sometimes, to be surfing and find something new :D

At the Smith & Wesson customer service page I found out that they have gunsmithing packages available. The one I'm looking at is the Combat Revolver Package for my Model 64 (Stainless $235).

It includes:
Glass Bead Finish
Tuned Action
Trigger Stop
Chamfer Charge Holes
Test Fire for Function

Has anyone here had this done? Results? Worth it? Etc? It's not something I'd get the cost back from if I sold it, but as much as I enjoy shooting this firearm I really expect that my son will be inheriting it eventually.

Thanks,

William

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Combat Revolver Package?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
March 8, 2010, 04:26 PM
i've usually had my revolver work done locally, because it saves on shipping and i've been lucky (in the past) to have had good pistolsmiths available.

looking at the work they offer in the package, my first thought was that it was a "starter package" as it seemed incomplete. then looking closer it seems like a compromise package, being neither biased towards range work or carry. a couple of questions come to mind:

why would you want a trigger stop on a combat gun?
why would you not include a beveled cylinder release?

i will add that i have had every S&W revolver i have owned modified in some way...starting with the action tune

rcmodel
March 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
I think one thing to consider is that you can get the package done by S&W, and get it back in 5 days.

The good revolver smiths are few and far between, and have a backlog of months or years on getting work done.

The S&W Custom Shop would not be adverse to doing more or less to the gun if you so desired while they have it there.
The action job for $145 is the same one you get on the $235 combat package minus the bead blasting. So, the bead blasting is $90 bucks.

Figure out exactly what you want, and give them a call to discuss it.

rc

Hardballing
March 8, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've had work done by Smith on several of my revolvers, including Performance Center upgrades.

They do EXCELLENT work (at least they have for me) and they don't have a huge turnaround time (relatively speaking).

As a side note, any work, unless performed by Smith would tend to devalue the gun in question. Factory work, in collector circles anyway, is not frowned upon per se. For what you are asking about, it might even be considered a plus.

Just my .02.

Tim

W.E.G.
March 8, 2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not impressed with that offer.

You can chamfer the charge holes yourself.
No rocket science there.

As for the "action tuning," what do you expect that to accomplish?
Is there something WRONG with the action now?
Don't be afraid to remove the sideplate yourself, and study how things fit together in there.
Its a LOT easier than you might imagine.
The only "tricky" piece is the rebound slide, and it is that part that has the only spring in there that you should be experimenting with.
Make a rebound-slide tool out of an old screwdriver, or order the tool from Brownells.
In my opinion, all you can "tune" is the rebound-slide spring weight, and the single-action shelf on the trigger.
If its a DAO M64, there is no single action step to tune in the first place.
Don't let anybody talk you into messing with the mainspring. I strongly doubt S&W would alter it in any way.

Trigger stop?
What is that supposed to do on a Model 64?
The M64 has almost zero overtravel in the first place.

In the end, it sounds like a $235 bead-blast job.

I say spend your money on holsters, speedloaders and ammo.

Old Fuff
March 8, 2010, 08:01 PM
There can be a substantial difference between a home-tune job, and one done at the factory or by a top professional Ďsmith. Part of the reason is that they have important jigs, fixtures and tools that you wonít find in someoneís basement.

For example, they will check to be sure the cylinder is turning in a concentric circle, which all too often it isnít. Also very few home workers or even general gunsmiths have the expertise to be sure the fit between the ratchet teeth and hand are correct on all chambers. If this is a street-action job donít expect lighter springs, although it will feel like they are. Here, reliability is job-one.

Is the cost worth it? Well it all depends on how much you like the gun. I will say that the bead-blasted finish will look good to start with, but soon show holster wear. Chamfering the chambers is helpful if you use speed-loaders, but if the jobís done wrong you might end up needing a new cylinder.

All in all, if you donít have any experience (not to mention the necessary tools to do it right) it is far wiser to have the work done by someone who does and will stand behind what they do. Smith & Wessonís Performance Center meets that description.

wlewisiii
March 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
Some good thoughts to chew, folks. Thank you.

I have experience gunsmithing from my time in the Army. I am very comfortable working on 1911's & M-16's. Reading Kuhnhausen is as close to being inside a revolver as I have ever been. Hence, I'd rather someone else did the work on this one. If I get a rat pile Model 10 frame & a J&G Model 10 parts kit, that's a different story... :)

I'd like having the trigger job done & the chamfering would help with the speed loaders. It's got enough deep scratches in the finish that the glass bead finish would be nice even if it too will wear with time. I'll agree that I can't see how a stop is needed but that's rather minor either way to me.

Things to ponder...

William

9mmepiphany
March 8, 2010, 10:26 PM
you know what makes a huge difference, but is seldom thought about?

having the gun re-lined and trued. it is like blue printing an engine...but doing it to the exterior, all the lines are straightened, all the curves uniformed all edges straightened, all the cylinder flute identical. i saw it done on a simple M-10 once...he had 2 for himself and his twin brother, manufactured in their year of birth...and the comparison was stunning

farscott
March 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
Before sending the revolver to S&W, I would contact Marc or Karen Morganti at Gemini Customs and get a quote from them. This is not to suggest that S&W is not competitive and does not do a fine job; it is just to suggest an alternative for world-class work at reasonable prices.

I have a SP-101 that went through Gemini Customs, and it is a spectacular revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Combat Revolver Package?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!