Adjustable Powder Measure vs. Flask Spout

PDA

Foto Joe
March 8, 2010, 10:22 AM
For some time now I've been using an adjustable powder measure to load CB Revolvers. A couple of days ago I picked up a replica (Italian) Colt Army/Navy flask that has a 30gr spout on it.

I don't load 30gr so I need to replace the spout, no big deal. What I discovered when I checked the throw on the flask though was this: The 30gr spout throws 35gr consistantly when measured in my adjustable measure. Now I'm wondering, which one is right?

My concern is that one of my family is an 1851 Confederate Navy (brass). I load this thing at 20gr Pyrodex fffg and I don't want to exceed that. Do ALL fixed flask spouts tend to throw over?

I realize that I can cut the spouts down but I'm wondering if I should order a 15gr to throw 20gr.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable Powder Measure vs. Flask Spout" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oldpuppymax
March 8, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'd sure go with the measure value. Tresso makes good, quality spouts, but I look at any of them as conveniences more than actual measures. Naturally they come in all sizes so you might want to go with the one that throws the best.

ClemBert
March 8, 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know if this (http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm) will help give you the warm fuzzies as to which measure is accurate. I found it interesting and possibly useful. I seem to recall my Lee 2.8cc scoop is throwing about 40 grains of GOEX 3Fg as measured with my Thomson Center Measure (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=714741). The first link indicates that a 2.65cc scoop would throw 40 grains of 2Fg. I only have 3Fg on hand at the moment.

Mike OTDP
March 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
The spouts are very vague.

A tip: Get some all-thread tubing of the right diameter. Toss the spout, cut a length of all-thread to use as a spout instead. File until it throws the desired powder charge. Very useful.

BHP FAN
March 8, 2010, 05:11 PM
Or, you can just file a bit, until your flask spout equals what your measure says.

mykeal
March 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
Don't believe your adjustable measure is all that accurate, either. I have 4, and they vary by about 13%!

Use real black powder as your standard. It should weigh, in grains, the same as it measures in volume, in grains. Adjust both your adjustable measure and flask spout to agree with that standard and you'll be fine. Convert to the substitutes using Clember's chart, or create one of your own.

Dave A
March 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
While you can see in to the chambers in a revolver, the same is not true for a rifle. Loading directly from a flask in to a revolver is safe enough, doing this with a rifle is a hazard. A lingering spark in a rifle barrel might cause the powder poured in the barrel to flash and set of the powder in the flask.

madcratebuilder
March 21, 2010, 08:21 AM
What mykeal said, use real black to confirm your adjustable measure. Then file the flask spout to the volume you want. You can get adjustable spouts and the Walker flask is adjustable.

Oldfalguy
March 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
My spout was right on 25 gr with black powder measured against 2 balance scales-
I then made a pour from an adjustable- it barely shaved any powder. Still wish I had one of those electronic ones though.
Have a long spout, gosh only knows what it holds- no clue didn't measure it as I am not going to put it down my 54 flinty ever- would make a nice candidate for trimming I suppose.

Old Cannonballs
March 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
Don't forget that if you file off too much from the end of the flask spout, you'll file off the taper and the end of the spout may not fit in smaller caliber chambers.

goon
March 26, 2010, 09:12 PM
I just got a flask the other day. With the 24 grain spout it came with it only throws about 20 grains of FFFg. With a 35 grain spout in place it throws just under 30 - which is close enough for my uses. It's pretty consistent, albiet wrong according to my powder measure. But I doubt my Remington will notice the 1 grain any more than I will.

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable Powder Measure vs. Flask Spout" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!