Wolf Large Pistol Primers; are they larger than others?

PDA

editingfx
March 8, 2010, 04:17 PM
Recently started reloading 45ACP. Traded some SPP for some Wolf Large Pistol Primers. On some cases (1-5%?) they are impossible to seat flush. (Using a range mash-up of recycled brass.) RARELY had this problem with 9mm - are Wolf possibly larger than other brands?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Large Pistol Primers; are they larger than others?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EddieNFL
March 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
I haven't tried the LPs, yet, but the SRs are slightly larger.

bds
March 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, Wolf SP and LP are a bit tighter in the primer pocket than Winchester.

But hand priming in the Lee Auto Prime is very doable and requires just a bit more force to seat them (2 thumbs instead of 1 thumb).

helg
March 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
My mike shows the same diameter of the Wolf SP as of CCI 450, Rem 1 1/2 and Win SP. My hand though feels that the Wolfs are harder to seat. I would conclude that this is due to cup thickness and hardness, not the diameter.

EddieNFL
March 8, 2010, 04:55 PM
My mike shows the same diameter of the Wolf SP as of CCI 450, Rem 1 1/2 and Win SP. My hand though feels that the Wolfs are harder to seat. I would conclude that this is due to cup thickness and hardness, not the diameter.
Well, I have to retract my above statement. I measured Winchester SR and LP and Wolf SR and LP. The Wolf SR was about 0.0002" larger than the Winchester. Certainly not enough to "feel" the difference. The LPs were identical.

I had always thought of the Wolf non-magnum primers as softer than others.

Live and learn.

357mag357
March 8, 2010, 11:50 PM
Yes! They are a real pain to seat with SB brass.

medalguy
March 9, 2010, 01:05 AM
Yes, tried 'em, don't like 'em, sold the extras.

broham
March 9, 2010, 01:06 AM
They seem to be a bit tighter but a little extra oomph ( and I mean a little) and they are gtg. Cheap and available.

billybob44
March 9, 2010, 01:12 AM
They seem to be a bit tighter but a little extra oomph ( and I mean a little) and they are gtg. Cheap and available.
You're right, but with my Dillon or RockChucker, I can feel them "Home".

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Large Pistol Primers; are they larger than others?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!