May Have Finally Found a Polymer

PDA

schmeky
March 8, 2010, 03:55 PM
Have tried a bunch of polymer pistols through the years. The only one I ever found that I kinda' liked with the M&P .45. Eventually sold it.

On a whim I bought a nice used XD .45 Tactical. I like it!! Ordered a Springer Precision trigger reduction kit for it and I hope this provides some noticeable improvement in the trigger.

So far, so good.

If you enjoyed reading about "May Have Finally Found a Polymer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gglass
March 8, 2010, 04:03 PM
Bummer on the M&P sale. Had you waited a little while you could have upgraded it with an $29 Apex Tactical sear. It gives the M&P the best trigger this side of a custom 1911.

I liked the sear so much that I upgraded all five of my M&P's, including my two Pro models... It's that good.

showmebob
March 8, 2010, 05:11 PM
gglass

How much improvement did you notice on your Pro models?

schmeky
March 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
gglass,

That was one of my biggest complaints with the M&P's (I had 2, a 9mm and a 45). I managed to get the 45 trigger pull pretty sweet using the Burwell method. I ruined the sear on the 9mm and had to send it in because you could not buy a S&W sear anywhere. It was a factory only part. Kinda' bummed me out.

I really like the M&P 45, but even with the improved trigger (i.e. lighter), the take up before the sear let off was still pretty bad, IMHO.

How is the reset and take up on the Apex sear?

possum
March 9, 2010, 01:51 AM
i am glad that you like the xd, i have a service model .40 with over 17,000rds and it is still going strong. i couldn't be happier with it. BTW the triggers get really nice, and much better with use, i noticed a big difference at the 500rd mark, and even more so at the 1k mark. it is really smooth and clean now compared to what they are new. no after market trigger just the factory and so far it is good to go.

Walkalong
March 9, 2010, 09:35 AM
I am very happy with my XD SC .40. Trigger is nice and smooth. A buddy has an M&P, and the trigger is awful. Maybe that Apex sear would fix it, but I like the XD over the M&P in many ways. It's a simple design and quite easy to completely dismantle if you have the urge. Field strips easy as pie of course, like most of the new polymer guns. I just field stripped and cleaned mine this morning. It gets subjected to weather a lot, so I like to keep it oiled up regularly. This coming from a died in the wool 1911 fan. My two non 1911's are a TZ & an XD. Keeping my eye out for an old CZ.

schmeky
March 9, 2010, 11:24 AM
Walkalong,

I've had Glocks, M&P's, FNP-45 USG, and a Taurus polymer. This is my 1st XD, and must say, I like it better than the others I have owned. It's simple, there are no disassembled pieces laying around loose when breaking it down, and the parts I have seen inside are robust.

I like the grip better as well. The M&P had great ergonomics, but for me, the XD is better. I almost threw in the towel on polymers, glad now I tried an XD. I'm also a 1911 diehard and in the last few years, have become enamored with CZ's as well.

No one is more surprised than me.

If you enjoyed reading about "May Have Finally Found a Polymer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!