opinions please

PDA

deadeye dick
March 8, 2010, 06:26 PM
what do you guys and gals think of the.32 auto as a hideout gun or a ankle holster weapon. I'm new to the self defence scene and want the best bang for the buck. I like the Kel Tec for the size weight and concealability. I also want to train to be a crack shot ay close range. I currently use Federal premium 65 gr.hydra shock jhp ammo. and I own the Kel Tec. Put a lot of practice ammo. thru it and it is a reliable weapon. I also will be reloading.

I just joined the forum today and will be asking for a lot of advece and opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "opinions please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawn Dodson
March 8, 2010, 06:48 PM
If you want to be a crack shot then you've got your work cut out for you with a KelTec P32. The trigger (stiff, long pull) does not favor accuracy. I had one - got a good deal on it - and I quickly got rid of it for that very reason.

An ankle holster is okay if you're seated or if you plenty of time to kneel to draw your gun. I don't use one. I suggest a pocket holster or a small inside waistband (IWB) holster.

As for ammo, I suggest an FMJ bullet for penetration reliability. If a JHP bullet expands it's not going to penetrate deeply enough to reach and damage vitals. If a JHP bullet doesn't expand (which is most likely if your bullet has to first pass through the bad guy's clothing - the post in the HydraShok's cavity allows cloth to more easily inhibit/prevent expansion) it will probably achieve adequate penetration. The problem with this situation is the inconsistent terminal performance of your ammo. You don't know how it's going to perform in any given shooting, whereas an FMJ bullet provides consistent penetration performance.

I handload. I carried a Beretta P3032 Tomcat as a backup gun on police patrol. I didn't attempt to handload .32 ACP because its small dimensions were already difficult enough for me to handle loaded cartridges.

Good luck.

Cornhusker77
March 8, 2010, 07:29 PM
A .32 is better than a .25 or .22, but I'd feel better about a .380 (minimum) for a backup.
However, if you already have the KT 32, then it should be good enough for up close social work.
I have the .380 version, and it's surprisingly accurate at 7 yards. Past that, I wouldn't think it'd be very good.

HisSoldier
March 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
I handload. I carried a Beretta P3032 Tomcat as a backup gun on police patrol. I didn't attempt to handload .32 ACP because its small dimensions were already difficult enough for me to handle loaded cartridges.

I also believe the .380 is minimum equipment for self defense. But I've been loading .25 ACP and have been getting over 1000 FPS with Bullseye and 50 grain pills, I expect the available bullets and load data, shell holders and plates, and everything else related are much better for the .32.

Also, since it is a locked breech gun you may feel like you can exceed factory loadings somewhat. I'm not advocating it, but I do it, and I wish my .25 ACP had a locked breech! :) With my Astra Cub the first indications of excessive loads are cases sticking, or, in my gun, slide bounce causes stovepipes.

Nomad
March 8, 2010, 08:59 PM
IMO I think the 9mm is as small as one should go. I wont carry anything smaller than a 40 S&W. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who will state the 380 is fine. I'm just not one of them. There are plenty of small platforms in calibers larger than the 32. I gravitate towards the Kahr line. A bit pricy but it is your life you may be defending, afterall.:D

Vonderek
March 8, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Dick,
The KelTec .32 is a nice hideout gun. I believe its small size and light weight make it great pocket gun but its caliber is not optimum. Its the type of gun that's small enough to always have on you but you might want to purchase a second handgun of heavier caliber as your main piece. If you are going to ankle carry, you might consider a J-Frame .38 or Taurus 85. As mentioned, ankle carry is really only suited if you are in a car or otherwise seated most of the time. If you are standing it is probably the slowest and least efficient method of drawing a handgun.

For the .32ACP the debate goes on whether JHP or FMJ is best. As earlier stated, JHP in this caliber has a tough time expanding reliably. My way of thinking is that if a JHP doesn't expand, it will act as a FMJ. If it does expand, well that's a bonus. So you can load JHP or FMJ but I would go with the hollow points. If they expand, great. If they don't, well then you will get some penetration.

arizonaguide
March 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
.380 is better. .32 is kinda small, and not really any cheaper than the .380...and could actually be more "expensive" if it costs a life. (yours.)

I agree with the above post in that a 9mm is about as small as you should go, OR a GOOD .38 snubby....which is almost as easy to CCW. They are starting to make nice little 9mm's now.

easyg
March 8, 2010, 11:55 PM
what do you guys and gals think of the.32 auto as a hideout gun or a ankle holster weapon.
Well, I suppose it's better than nothing.

Personally, I don't have any faith in the .32 for being able to quickly stop a human aggressor.
But to each his own.

Shawn Dodson
March 9, 2010, 08:56 AM
.32 ACP ammo ordnance gelatin test results (http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm)

RonBernert
March 9, 2010, 04:02 PM
I carry a .32 quite often. It's a model 1903 colt. I carry it without any worries. I run FMJ 71gr bullets.

deadeye dick
March 9, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I will consider all of them. I usually carry a 111 milenium with 147 gr. sxt jhp's.The .32 on the ankle is when i'm riding my motorcycle and a strey german shepherd wants to take my leg off.(it's happened more than once)

SwampWolf
March 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
If your pocket's big enough for a .32, it's plenty big enough for a .380. I'd definitely choose a .380 over a .32 for self-defense. And if I wasn't pocket carrying, a 9mm would be minimal as far as I'm concerned.

cskny
March 9, 2010, 05:57 PM
It seems to me that it's pretty easy to find weapons of similar size to the .32 that will fire .380. When you cross to 9mm, generally (without spending a fortune) they get a little larger and probably leave some folks pocket (as an option).

If you were considering .32 I'd have a hard time not just doing the similar sized .380.

IdahoSkies
March 9, 2010, 06:04 PM
What you are really talking about is the platform and for the most part the KT .32 is about the same size and weight as most of the new crop of .380 pistols. IMO the only reason to choose a .32 over a .380 is recoil and shot placement. The .32 is darn pleasant to shoot as compared with the .380 and at least for me is much more controllable (again my opinion). Traditionally looking at the ballistics between the two and the "one stop shot" "data" (for what its worth), if I am carrying a .380 and I am going to want to put two or three shots into the threat anyway and I expect to have to do the same with a .32, but with the .32 I get more control, and general at least one more cartridge in the same size platform. This data may change with the new crop of .380 ammo, but until I see the data or start hearing about how the new .380 ammo really is closer to the .38 special or the 9mm mak, I don't see much real effective difference between the two. (Again, if it takes 2-3 shots from a .380 to subdue a threat and 2-3 shots form a .32, why not carry what you can control and have more ammo for).

I carry a .32 most days because of where I work and travel. I am aware its not a 9mm or a .40, but for my threat level I am comfortable with it.

Would *I* trust it against an angry dog? Probably not. Against a person, yes.

My $.02 for what its worth.

Vonderek
March 9, 2010, 07:30 PM
A couple of points regarding the new info re: motorcyle riding and dog attacks

1) Don't know if an ankle holster would stay concealed while riding a motorcycle.

2) Don't know if a German Shepherd would notice right away if he was shot with a .32 unless you made perfect shot placement. And making perfect shot placement from a moving motorcycle would be pure luck.

3) Unless you are actually being physically attacked and facing grave injury I think you would be a jerk for shooting someone's dog. You're on a motorcycle...drive away. If you shoot a dog for pestering you or as a pre-emptive strike you better be prepared to face legal (and other) consequences.

benderx4
March 10, 2010, 12:38 AM
I carry a Seecamp LWS32 all the time. Yes, I trust it against all animals of the two-legged variety. As for dogs, I have a steel stick attached to my bicycle when I go riding. Never had to use it yet, but it's nice to know it's there.

deadeye dick
March 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
Vonderek, I think you mistook what i said about the dog. I would just ride away if I could. I would only pull my weapon if being attacked and my life were in danger. I'm really a nice guy and a responsible gun owner

RonBernert
March 11, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm really a nice guy and a responsible gun owner

HaHaHa! I say that and my wife just laughs!!!!!

:fire:

Hokkmike
March 11, 2010, 04:53 PM
To be honest, it wouldn't be in my first 5 choices or so.

#1. .380

#2. smaller 9mm

#3. .40 PPS (my current carry)

#5. 38 special

MachIVshooter
March 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
The P3AT is the same size and less than an ounce heavier than the P32. The fact that there are 8 ounce .380's all over the market has pretty much made the .32 and .25 obsolete, save the Baby Browning/Bauer pistols that are quite a bit smaller than even the P32/P3:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/P32Bauer25-1.jpg

Also, since it is a locked breech gun

The 3032 Tomcat is blowback

If you enjoyed reading about "opinions please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!