Blowback Recoil

PDA

Echo9
March 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
I was just picking through some old THR threads, and I noticed that someone said blowback pistols produce more recoil than locked-breech pistols, other factors like frame material and barrel length notwithstanding.

So far I haven't had an opportunity to fire any blowback pistols besides .22s, which aren't a very good indication one way or the other.

Is that true? Is the blowback design inherently harsher-recoiling for its caliber? That doesn't make sense to me. It seems like a locked-breech design would snap more because the momentum from the muzzle tilting torques the gun up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blowback Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
March 8, 2010, 07:42 PM
It seems like a locked-breech design would snap more because the momentum from the muzzle tilting torques the gun up.
I don't think there is enough barrel tilting motion, over a long enough period of time, to cause this. Locked-breech designs actually absorb some of the felt recoil by slowing the slide down and spreading it over a longer time duration.

mactex
March 8, 2010, 08:47 PM
I think some of the answer to your question is how the recoil may be perceived by different people. With blowback, I tend to feel the recoil as a heavier, snappier hit on the palm of my hand than with a similar locked-breech gun. Muzzle flip seems about the same to me.

oneounceload
March 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
ACTUAL recoil will be the same; FELT, or perceived, recoil can be different due to more moving parts slowing the recoil timing

NMGonzo
March 8, 2010, 09:07 PM
my gf does not like the bersa anymore since she started shooting a 1911 (3 to choose from)

I blame the blowback mechanism.
Thankfully, georgia arms delivered the other 500 rounds !!

If you enjoyed reading about "Blowback Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!