Thanks to the guys who frequent this forum

PDA

Mikey_P
March 8, 2010, 09:40 PM
After reading as much as I could here and elsewhere I bought a Lee Classic turret press from Kempf Gun Sales. I got dies for 9mm, .40 and .45 and maybe down the road .223.

I started with the .40. I used nickel cases, IMR SR4756, 180 gr FMJ bullets and CCI small pistol primers. I used 6.6 grains of powder.

It took a few to get the flare correct and a few more to get the crimp correct but all in all not too bad. I used the .76 hole first but it was over the max load so I went down to the 7.1 hole. I checked the load every 5 cases and it was consistantly 6.6, well under the max.

I loaded about 40 last night and went to the range today during my lunch to see if they would shoot. It being my first time I was a little worried about it. I used a Springfield XDM to try them out.

THEY ALL SHOT GREAT!!!!

Thanks to you guys on this forum I had the confidence to buy, setup and reload my own shells. Here is a pic of my setup so far.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/pelletm/Gun%20Related/DSC00616.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to the guys who frequent this forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
editingfx
March 8, 2010, 09:43 PM
Very nice setup! But far too neat. ;P Congrats on your first of MANY more to come....

Walkalong
March 8, 2010, 09:44 PM
That's a really nice set up Mikey_P. It'll fill up fast. Congrats on your first reloads shooting well.

jcwit
March 8, 2010, 09:50 PM
Very, very nice set up, but how do you find anything with everything in its place?

ole farmerbuck
March 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
Glad I could be of all that help. (jk) Nice setup there.

rfwobbly
March 8, 2010, 10:03 PM
Whoa Now!!

This is gettin' a little ahead of us.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/pelletm/Gun%20Related/DSC00616.jpg

Don't you think you need to slow down a bit? :D

Congrats! Keep a notebook of your loads, and you'll do just fine.

All the best.

lgbloader
March 8, 2010, 10:04 PM
That's a really nice set up Mikey_P. It'll fill up fast. Congrats on your first reloads shooting well.

* I'll second that.

I'm telling you fella's, every time I see that Lee Classic Turret solo or with a Lee classic cast, it seems like it's calling my name.

The more I think about it, the more I want to box up the blue presses & the green presses and mount that LCT on my bench. Aaarhhh....

LGB

Mikey_P
March 8, 2010, 10:10 PM
Don't worry I'm a packrat. I just moved my gun stuff into this room but I'll take another picture in a year and you won't recognize it. Here is the rest of the room.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/pelletm/Gun%20Related/DSC00619.jpg

Arkansas Paul
March 8, 2010, 11:33 PM
Welcome to THR and to handloading. Nice setup. I'm jealous.

jeepmor
March 9, 2010, 12:22 AM
What a nice clean start. Looks good.

jmortimer
March 9, 2010, 12:30 AM
You can never go wrong buying a Lee Precision Classic Turret press and will never regret buying it - nice set up- good for you.

bds
March 9, 2010, 12:33 AM
Welcome to THR.

Dang, now I have to clean up my reloading room. :D

ArchAngelCD
March 9, 2010, 04:19 AM
As the others have said, nice setup and welcome to reloading!
I see you now have the same sickness as the rest of us of which there is no cure.
(not that I would want to be cured lol)

RustyFN
March 9, 2010, 06:35 PM
Very nice Mikey.

It being my first time I was a little worried about it.

You're not alone there. :D

rcmodel
March 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
WOW! Nice!

But just so you know.
If you can still see those pretty bench tops, you haven't bought enough "stuff" yet. :D

rc

Bush Pilot
March 9, 2010, 08:17 PM
So, that's what the top of a bench looks like. Your messy corner is much neater than my "clean" area. RC Model is right, you really need more stuff. When you lay something down and can't find it 30 seconds later you'll belong to the club.

Mikey_P
March 9, 2010, 09:28 PM
OK guys, it's getting hard to get my head in the door. The bench was made from railcar flooring that had termites and I treated it with some coppertox I had laying around. Makes a hellofa bench though.

Oh and far as me being neat, here is picture of my garage. Give me time I'll get there.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/pelletm/DSC00622.jpg

DammitBoy
March 9, 2010, 09:38 PM
I want your Shelby!

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to the guys who frequent this forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!