Hoppe's No. 9 Rash

PDA

javacodeman
March 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
So I cleaned two of my guns Saturday night and watched a movie at the same time. While paying more attention to movie than dipping a swab, I accidentally put most of my Hoppe's No. 9 outside of my Hoppe's No. 9 bottle. :banghead: Thankfully I was working on an absorbant mat that caught a lot of it, but a good deal hit my lap. The first thing I did was to try to limit the amount that got on my carpet. Then I started blotting the carpet. After that I got my pants changed. This was only about 5 minutes.

Monday night and my legs are pretty "chapped" where the Hoppe's spilt.

Two questions:

1) Anyone else experience this before?

2) If so, how bad did it get before it got better?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppe's No. 9 Rash" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ozarkgunner
March 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
I have the same kind of problem with my Zippo lighter. If I over fill it and it spills out some, where ever it is in my pocket I wind up with a little red spot that burns and itches for about a day.

Fremmer
March 9, 2010, 12:42 AM
It's not too bad until you feel sharp abdominal pain that becomes unbearable and a baby alien with teeth chews its way out of your gut.

:eek:

Full Metal Jacket
March 9, 2010, 12:53 AM

Last Knight
March 9, 2010, 01:53 AM
It's not too bad until you feel sharp abdominal pain that becomes unbearable and a baby alien with teeth chews its way out of your gut.

God, I hate when that happens. =/

cleardiddion
March 9, 2010, 02:14 AM
Me too!

But more seriously, I've worked with Hoppes 9 for years and I've never had any problems with skin and other things with it at all. I'm clumsy so I've spilled plenty on myself.
Now, some of the industrial strength cleaners I have experience with that's nasty stuff. Peels skin and goes along and softens fingernails for the laughs.

Big_E
March 9, 2010, 04:53 AM
The only thing I have experienced with No. 9 on skin is that it really dries out my skin on fingers/hands. If the problem persists call a doctor. Maybe some anti-rash cream would work.

Sav .250
March 9, 2010, 07:07 AM
Strange things do happen.........:)

Quoheleth
March 9, 2010, 07:10 AM
People react differently to chemicals and cleaners. Hoppe's doesn't bother me, but most household bathroom cleaners do.

I'm not a doc, but when that happens I use soemthing like hydrocortizone or Benadryl cream (it's an allergic reaction). If it doesn't go away in a day or two, call your MD.

Q

loadedround
March 9, 2010, 08:17 AM
It is entirely possible to have a skin reaction as you described. It is called chemical sensitivity and your skin has been affected by the various organic or hydrocarbons chemicals in Hppes #9. The rash should disappear in several days w/o treatment. However, if you are allergic to Hoppes, and the rash(or swelling) continues, you may need to contact your physcian for some Cortisone cream. I have worked with organic compounds nearly my whole adult life and it still happens to me.

jcwit
March 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
Mostly what loaded round said, very close to what happens with the zippo liter fluid which is nothing more than NAPTHA.

Put some moisturizing hand cream or even Udder Balm, rubbed in and you'll heal up in a day or two.

The Bushmaster
March 9, 2010, 09:00 AM
Take two asprin and call me in the morning...

And that's "bag balm", jcwit...It will help...

627PCFan
March 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
I use it for aftershave and I never have any issues-

wishin
March 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
Never had a problem with spilled Hoppes on my person, but a long time ago I managed to spill some gasoline on my crotch.............I think I would rather be waterboarded.:cuss:

birdshot8's
March 9, 2010, 09:22 AM
that is where the hops came from.

Quoheleth
March 9, 2010, 11:17 AM
Never had a problem with spilled Hoppes on my person, but a long time ago I managed to spill some gasoline on my crotch.............

Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. Please note, the no smoking sign is now lit...

:D

Q

Full Metal Jacket
March 9, 2010, 11:51 AM
are you sure the rash in your lap started when the hoppes was spilled? :eek:

RainDodger
March 9, 2010, 12:38 PM
Uh, oh. I guess you know what you shouldn't use as a "personal lubricant"... :)

dmazur
March 9, 2010, 02:32 PM
Many years ago, when I wasn't "current" on industrial safety, I used my pinkie to smooth an epoxy repair on a boat.

Even though I wiped it off in a few minutes, that finger (on the outside edge, where it was exposed) suffered nerve damage. No loss of function, of course, as the muscles that move it are located somewhere else, but the skin was numb for years.

Now I'm kind of aware of this stuff, so I use nitrile gloves for almost everything involving chemicals. This includes household cleaning products, pesticides, paints, changing oil on cars & trucks, and gun cleaning products.

They're cheap, so thin they don't really interfere with dexterity, and allow one to work with this stuff with a fair degree of impunity.

It isn't necessary, of course, but I think it's a good idea...

CosmicGrooves
March 9, 2010, 07:26 PM
Yes, the zippo... i've had that same experience with over filling the lighter too.

DoubleTapDrew
March 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
I haven't had a problem with hoppes (love the smell) but have done the zippo overfill and got an itchy/burny thigh rash. I think it went away after a couple days.

This weekend I used some oven cleaner for the first time when helping my gf move. After my right arm started burning badly while scrubbing the oven I decided to skim the back off the can and the words "elbow length gloves", "lye", and "corrosive" stood out. It's a little better today but still pretty ugly.

Try the bag balm or some benadryl cream (or at least lotion).

jcwit
March 9, 2010, 08:45 PM
Try the Udder Balm, get it at a farm store, here in No. In. its TSC, stands for Tractor Supply. And yes its Udder Balm, yellow in color, white plastic jar, and not greasy, but soaks into the skin like a hand cream but better. MFG. by Neogen Corp.

Was recommended to my wife by nurses while I was in the hospital.

Equestrian
March 9, 2010, 09:06 PM
also available at most farm and horse stores is a product called matrix witch is great it keeps skin soft and helps it heal

billybobjoe
March 9, 2010, 11:05 PM
Udder Balm is hand cream!!!

billybobjoe
March 9, 2010, 11:06 PM
Not to give away their "trade secret".

sonick808
March 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
i second the bag balm. good stuff

paintballdude902
March 9, 2010, 11:12 PM
never had a problem with it before i've cleaned guns before class before and then had people comment on how good i smelled

id put some hydrocortisone cream on it.

Full Metal Jacket
March 9, 2010, 11:54 PM
have you tried valtrex? :eek:

jcwit
March 10, 2010, 12:17 AM
Udder Balm is hand cream!!!

Hey "billybobjoe" Read the post--it says "like" this means similar or close to. Not exact.

It is made by a company known for all sorts of veterinary supplies and medicines. Know whereof you speak and be able to back it up.

Neogen Corp
944 Nandino Blvd.
Lexington, KY 40511
800-621-8829

All this is available on google.

Beelzy
March 10, 2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah, blame that mystery rash on the Hoppes.........uh huh.

Fremmer
March 10, 2010, 02:15 AM
You guys are talking about Bag Balm, lol! :D

toivo
March 10, 2010, 03:34 AM
I have the same kind of problem with my Zippo lighter. If I over fill it and it spills out some, where ever it is in my pocket I wind up with a little red spot that burns and itches for about a day.

I had a major Zippo meltdown in my pocket once--all the fluid leaked out. That stuff is nasty--it ate a hole right through my skin in a spot about the size of a quarter.

SharpsDressedMan
March 10, 2010, 12:44 PM
This is like a litmus paper test. It means you are not supposed to have guns. Please list your guns for sale on this forum, and we will help to relieve you of this allergic reaction. :evil:

ForumSurfer
March 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
I had a major Zippo meltdown in my pocket once--all the fluid leaked out. That stuff is nasty--it ate a hole right through my skin in a spot about the size of a quarter.

Try having that happen (unknowingly) in dress pants. The pockets are so thin all of the fluid just went right through. :cuss: Then try explaining to the new girl you are dating that this giant red rash on all over your inner thigh and genital reason isn't contagious, even though you yourself have no clue what caused it. :banghead: Keep in mind that the day this happened was the first day we saw each other naked. That was a bad week for me, 15 years ago and I still remember that sinking feeling from her look of doubt. :scrutiny:

Ben86
March 10, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hoppe's, being a solvent, tends to dry things out and, well dissolve stuff, especially organic flesh. I'd just apply some sort of moisturizing skin protectorant such as a lotion or vaseline and you should be fine.

Dravur
March 10, 2010, 03:37 PM
Wow, I've been gargling with Hoppes for years.. No ill effects... well, except maybe that twitch...

But it sure does clean the breath

javacodeman
March 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks, I had to travel to San Diego the next day after the original post. By the end of that day my skin was feeling back to normal. So I'll keep my guns, SharpsDressedMan! :D

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 09:59 PM
i can't believe a thread about a crotch rash is almost to 3 pages...:eek:

billybobjoe
March 13, 2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry, I really can't discuss my client's trade secrets.

Ben86
March 14, 2010, 12:46 AM
Good thing we got to him in time, otherwise he may have spontaneously combusted. That solvent can do crazy stuff, I've seen it!

dec41971
March 14, 2010, 01:02 AM
Get a box of cheap surgical gloves and wear them when you clean your guns. That's what I do, and never a problem. I don't like the smell latex leaves on my hands, but that's a small inconvenience. The cleaning solution does dissolve the gloves too, so when they get soft or puncture I just change them out and continue till I am done.:) You might want to put on a Condom if you are in habit of spilling this stuff on your genitals though.:D

wishin
March 14, 2010, 09:48 AM
i can't believe a thread about a crotch rash is almost to 3 pages...:eek:
It's strange how some threads hang on and flourish like a weed growing in the driveway!:what:

The Bushmaster
March 14, 2010, 09:53 AM
Weeds? In the drive way? Oh shoot. Thanks for reminding me...

brassdog
March 14, 2010, 10:47 AM
Don't you know you supposed to wear protection?
Always gotta have a pack of rubber.....gloves handy. ;-)
Actually nitrile gloves work better and a shop apron to protect the other parts.

U-235
March 14, 2010, 11:02 AM
Here is a link to the Material Safety Data Sheets for different Hoppes products:

http://www.hoppes.com/au_msds.html

According to the MSDS Hoppes #9 contains: Kerosene, Ethyl Alchohol, Xylene, Amyl Acetate, Ammonium Hydroxide, and Citronella. Not the types of chemicals one would want to have on their skin!

Webbj0219
March 14, 2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds like getting keroseen on your skin. I think it was keroseen anyway it was long ago. Just wash the area good.

mustang_steve
March 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
What you need is a thick "junk towel" to put on your lap when doing such things. I'm lucky enough to only have a sensitivity to phosphoric acid (found in some tub/tile cleaners) and nothing else...but for those with chemical sensitivities, especially to Kerosene (a component in Hoppes 9), you need to be sure to avoid contact with it as much as possible.

Gloves are another good option...get some cheap blue latex gloves or the like...your hands will thank you.

Torchman
March 14, 2010, 01:16 PM
I agree on the Zippo rash....but you havent lived til you've had BIC D*ck!!!:what:

searcher451
March 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
This will no doubt come as bad news to those who use Hoppe's No. 9 as an after-shave product.

wishin
March 14, 2010, 01:43 PM
This will no doubt come as bad news to those who use Hoppe's No. 9 as an after-shave product.
Play it dumb if the girl friend complains of a rash on the inside of her thighs.:evil:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Maia007
March 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds like it needs to be banned in CA.:)

toivo
March 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
I happened to notice that I still have a can of Ronson lighter fluid in the cabinet from years ago. (I gave away all my lighters when I quit smoking in 1993, but I do keep a Bic in the glove compartment for emergencies...) Lo and behold, it has instructions for use as a cleaner and degreaser! Multi-tasking!

Now maybe we need a new thread. Forget the WD-40 and 3-in-1 Oil threads: the new question is, "Is Ronson fluid OK to use on guns?"

Ben86
March 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like it needs to be banned in CA.

I'm sure it's known to them to cause cancer.

earlthegoat2
March 15, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Hoppes #9 has been around the block a time to two. I wonder how many others he has spread it to?

Schofield3
March 15, 2010, 04:28 PM

Hahaha

Aeromarine
March 16, 2010, 12:56 AM
This is not a small issue! Volatile chemicals can be absorbed into the blood stream directly through the skin. I think this is a very real unreported and under appreciated risk. My son is a biomedical engineer and we have frequently discussed the hazards or transdermal absorption of bad chemicals. As a result I now always wear vinyl gloves when handling any aromatic compounds whether it be fuels, paint thinners, lacquers, or gun cleaning solvents, etc. Additionally, the solvent may also carry lead into your system which is also very bad. As much as I really like the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 it is not good to get it on your skin. And, of course, you should certainly always use it with adequate ventilation!! Just a word to the wise. Your kidneys and liver will thank you!

makarovnik
March 16, 2010, 04:32 AM
Try gloves, and not spilling.

The Bushmaster
March 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
Over 45 years as a mechanic and never used gloves to clean parts in a parts tank. Years of cleaning guns without gloves. Retired now and still cleaning parts for my various projects and still shooting and cleaning guns without gloves of any kind. No lead in my system. No chemicals show up in my blood when tested. 67 and healthy. Oh...And I do that lead filled environment of reloading ammunition.

Sure...Some people may get lead poisoning and chemicals into their system. Mostly because they can't seem to keep their fingers out of their mouth. And, I guess, there are some people that are alergic to chemicals or insist on shooting in poorly ventilated indoor ranges. BUT...Let us not get paranoid about it. Wear gloves if it makes you feel safer. I doubt that it's going to help unless you wear a resperator too...

Aeromarine...You DO wear a resperator when cleaning guns don't you?

Mike J
March 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
Growing up with a my Dad being a mechanic I did a lot of parts washing. After growing up I worked in a printshop for 5 1/2 years. We used naptha, acetone, isopropyl alcohol etc. What happened when you spilled the hoppes on yourself was a mild chemical burn. They heal in a day or two. It was made worse by the fact your clothes held the chemical on your skin. I had it happen to me many times when I worked in the print shop & also from overfilling zippo lighters. The worst one was once when I was putting resin on some fiberglass ductwork in a ditch. The resin got on my jeans, I had a chemical burn that took about a month to heal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppe's No. 9 Rash" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!