Ruger "WARNING" billboard on revolvers - kiss of death to collectibility?

PDA

W.E.G.
March 8, 2010, 10:50 PM
Are there any BILLBOARD Rugers that have appreciated in value?

Is the presence of the BILLBOARD on newer Rugers the primary reason for the rise in value of non-billboard models?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger "WARNING" billboard on revolvers - kiss of death to collectibility?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Surefire
March 8, 2010, 10:53 PM
I definitely hate the warning message on new Rugers, but what can you do...

I hate the locks on S&W even more!!

Yes, I believe the billboard on Rugers should have some affect on collector value. Who wants PC/legalize on their gun?

March 9, 2010, 12:11 AM
I have one of the new billboard warning message rugers. In deciding between the redhawk and the SW629 the SW lock problems certainly helped me chose the Ruger, but the paragraph is very ugly and unnecessary. I have seen enough posts about how to remove the SW lock but nothing about removing the warning on the ruger barrel. Wondering if it is possible and if anyone has done it with good results?

Zundfolge
March 9, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've seen many stainless steel Rugers with the billboard buffed off ... looks nice (of course a blue one would require a refinish).

Its gonna be a long time until the billboard era Rugers are anything close to "collectible" but I imagine when they are, removal of the billboard is going to devalue it slightly.

Even then, we're talking about Rugers, not Pythons. Even the more collectible of the Rugers today aren't all that valuable (not that they aren't good guns ... just not collectible).

cottonmouth
March 9, 2010, 12:23 AM
You can have the warning removed and for the Smith there is a plug you can order to fill in the key hole and replace the lock, just ordered one for a 500.

J.B.

Guillermo
March 9, 2010, 12:23 AM
Rugers are fine guns but not collectible because they still make them

for the Smith there is a plug you can order to fill in the key hole and replace the lock

plugging the hole does not repair the scar on the company that capitulated with the enemy. Even with the plug it might as well say Benedict Arnold & Mata Hari or Smith & Clinton.

I would sooner send Handgun Control a check

savit260
March 9, 2010, 12:36 AM
You can have the warning removed and for the Smith there is a plug you can order to fill in the key hole and replace the lock, just ordered one for a 500.

It's nice that Colts never suffered these indignities.

TwoNiner
March 9, 2010, 12:42 AM
Its ugly but better than a lock. I'll never buy a new S&W thanks to the ILS. I'm sticking with Rugers and used S&Ws.

CajunBass
March 9, 2010, 01:06 PM
It's nice that Colts never suffered these indignities.

Yea, it's MUCH better that Colt just not make revolvers (or much of anything else either) now. :rolleyes:

heeler
March 9, 2010, 01:10 PM
Exactly just what does the billboard say??

rattletrap1970
March 9, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hell, who's to say in 50 years all this anti gun crap gets trounced. Then to find a gun with that silly warning might make it worth more. You never know. If you had a unopened bottle of booze from the prohibition era, that might be worth money too. Not because it's better booze, or it's old, but because it survived through some messed up times.

Guillermo
March 9, 2010, 01:20 PM
rattletrap is an optimist

Zundfolge
March 9, 2010, 01:24 PM
Exactly just what does the billboard say??
BEFORE USING GUN-READ WARNINGS IN
INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM
STURM, RUGER @ CO.,
SOUTHPORT, CONN. U.S.A.
Some of the short barrel guns shorten up that copy.

Here's a photo (http://www.astorarms.ca/images/Prohibited%20Handguns/Ruger%20GP100,%20ser%20170%2064614,%20left,%20DSC_1668.JPG) (I linked it instead of posting it with image tags because its huge)

rattletrap1970
March 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
LOL, If you knew me you wouldn't say that!

Guillermo
March 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
the warning says

DO NOT PUT LIVE AMMUNITION IN THIS FIREARM
ENGAGING IN SUCH A RECKLESS ACT CAN RESULT IN DEATH, DISMEMBERMENT AND OTHER SERIOUS INJURIES.
INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM
STURM, RUGER @ CO., SOUTHPORT, CONN. U.S.A. AND MUST BE READ

rattletrap1970
March 9, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'd like to see somebody get dismembered with a .22
That would take a crap-load of ammo.

rocinante
March 9, 2010, 01:41 PM
I have matching stainless ruger new vaqueros except one has the prominent billboard while the other has it more discretely on the bottom of the barrel. I think the billboard is uglier and totally unnecessary. It is a firearm not a toaster.

Cosmoline
March 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ruger is a young maker compared with Colt or S&W. For collectors there's interest in the early single sixes, the early blackhawks, etc. not so much for the lack of warning but just because there are a number of rare subtypes. For later handguns, there's growing interest in the "Six" line of double action revolvers as shooters. Likewise there's a premium for oddballs such as the .357 Redhawks because you can amp up the power so much.

There are also a variety of strange contract guns Ruger made for overseas use, such as the Security Sixes in .37 S&W.

Thaddeus Jones
March 9, 2010, 01:55 PM
No not in my opinion.

Hell, there are people who think the wind up two piece barrel S&W's will be collectible. Anything is possible. TJ

conhntr
March 9, 2010, 01:59 PM
i bought the "new vaquero" blue model specifically because the billboard is under the barrel and does not bother me. i will not buy one with the billboard on the side; so thats one less person in the market and a slightly lower value.

however these mass produced guns arent ever going to be collectible so dont worry about it. what is the most that any regular production run ruger has increased in value?

have any kept up/ passed inflation?

LoneCoon
March 9, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see somebody get dismembered with a .22
That would take a crap-load of ammo.
It'd get tedious, I imagine. You'd have to use one of those 50 round drums for the 10-22, and even then you might need a reload.

savit260
March 9, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yea, it's MUCH better that Colt just not make revolvers (or much of anything else either) now.

Colt still makes revolvers ;)

and they don't have locks or billboards.

rattletrap1970
March 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
No I mean with a Single Six.

SwampWolf
March 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
I don't blame Ruger or Smith & Wesson, or the ladder makers for that matter, for over-reacting in terms of warning labels nearly as much as I do the bottom-grovelling trial attorneys who spend their careers making loads of money off our litigious-happy society; a society that has absolved wrong-doers' acts by diluting the concept of personal responsibility and has rewarded those who file frivolous lawsuits by punishing manufacturers for stupid acts committed by their customers. Scissor makers don't put warning labels on their scissors-they just rounded off the points. :banghead:

bob.a
March 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
Personally, I refuse to buy any pistol that has one of those warnings. Ugly and stupid have no place in my collections.

Confederate
March 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
Rugers are outstanding guns, and I don't think the warnings are going to affect prices. If some guns had them and some didn't, and they were made at the same time, the guns would differ in value, with the ones in the minority having the greatest value.

Guns are going up in price and Ruger prices are going up faster than others. I watch for used Security-Sixes, and find that most are in pretty grungy condition. Stainless guns clean up pretty well, but they're still pretty dinged up in many cases.

In primo condition, I don't know what they'd go for. I certainly don't think these "blue book" listings are realistic in many respects.

MICHAEL T
March 9, 2010, 07:55 PM
I won't but a pistol with all that junk printed on it. No matter who makes it.

Rexster
March 9, 2010, 08:13 PM
In keep accumulating Rugers. Accumulating, not collecting. I don't understand collecting. My guns are purchased for shooting purposes.

Ruger is certainly not the only company that puts distracting billboards on their firearms.

nerd-with-a-gun
March 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
I think that the warning is less of a factor than if you were to port the barrel or make other modifications to the gun. The warning is put there by the factory so that is the way the gun comes from the factory. If you make modifications on the gun however, that will effect the future value of the gun because it is no longer stock. IMHO.

Cosmoline
March 9, 2010, 08:48 PM
however these mass produced guns arent ever going to be collectible so dont worry about it. what is the most that any regular production run ruger has increased in value?

Those are two different concepts. A lot of mass produced firearms are highly collectible, but not very many have been able to outpace inflation. This one, for example, is a highly collectible piece:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158395441

But even at $700, it's hard to say that it cost more in real dollars than it did when it was sold from the factory.

Rexster
March 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
Indeed, except for such example as First Generation Colt Single Action Army sixguns, fireams don't keep up with inflation, over the long haul. Moreover, knowing what will be desirable in the future is a very inexact science, as indicated by reading books and magazine articles from the 1920's and 1930's indicates. Nobody thought the old Colts were very valuable at that time.

Moreover, when a firearm does finally become collectible, original condition is very important to collectors. So, if Rugers ever do become collectible, one with the billboard removed will be considered a "user" or shooter, NOT a collectible.

cottonmouth
March 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
Don't get me wrong I do not like, the other 25 S&W revolvers I own do not have the lock. But the only option in the 500 does.

J.B.

conhntr
March 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
so they are as collectible as a savings bond... i just dont understand buying a 500$ mass produced gun and trying to convince yourself its a collectible

Ben86
March 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Even sadder than how the billboard looks, is the reason for having to put the thing on the poor gun in the first place. Most guns have them though, it wouldn't put me off, unless it was just extremely obnoxious.

Boats
March 10, 2010, 02:32 PM
Just get rid of the warning, it ain't rocket science.

http://www.little-link.com/pics/ae0f6e4976c0619763520563e6ab6c48.jpg

Guillermo
March 10, 2010, 02:53 PM
Boats,

You are correct that you can get rid of the billboard. And you can correct the trigger. But you shouldn't have to do either.

When you drop 5 bills on a revolver you shouldn't have to polish the bullsqueeze off and buy and install a Wolf trigger kit. That is a bunch of Barbara Streisand

Boats
March 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
It was so rough to take a B&D mouse sander to the paragraph and take the time to remove it--tantamount to torture really. Also, taking the twenty minutes it took to put in after market trigger return and main springs had me thinking that Ruger had violated the 13th Amendment when they sold me the revolver.:rolleyes:

SharpsDressedMan
March 10, 2010, 05:18 PM
I hate it, I hat it, I hate it! I recently bought two Rugers that DON'T have the warning on the side (it is now under the barrel on my ,44 Special and 50th .44 Mag). Much cleaner. Only took Ruger 20-25 years to figure that out. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05498.jpg

March 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
Just get rid of the warning, it ain't rocket science.

http://www.little-link.com/pics/ae0f6e4976c0619763520563e6ab6c48.jpg
Nice! Does it look as good in person as it does in the photo because from where i am sitting you can't even tell that someone took a black and decker sander to it. Did you sand and polish the entire frame or just the barrel?

Boats
March 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
Just the barrel. A B&D mouse is not a very aggressive sander when used as a wet sander with automotive sandpaper. You just have to faithfully follow the curvature. The roll mark is not that deeply cut.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger "WARNING" billboard on revolvers - kiss of death to collectibility?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!