FEG 37M barrel failure help

PDA

eldon519
March 8, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hello all, I'm trying to sort out a problem for a friend. He was recently firing his grandfather's bring-back 37M when the chamber formed a circumferential crack (around the barrel rather than down the length of it). I have not personally seen it nor the full extent of the crack. This is the type of crack I would anticipate forming through excessive extraction forces based on tensile stress rather than hoop stress. I believe he shot around 50 rounds and began to experience poor accuracy and stovepipe FTEs and inspected it to find the crack had formed. I have seen the gun before, and it is in excellent to very good condition.

The only thing I noticed that concerned me was that the barrel is marked for .32 ACP (7.65mm) and the barrel is chambered in .380 ACP. I did not get a chance to look at the breech face/extractor to see if it had been converted or was otherwise suitable for .380. I also do not know if the recoil spring in the pistol is the proper strength for .380 or if it is .32 spec. It did apparently feed from the magazine. I have told him how to check to make sure that the breech face is cut/converted for .380, and I hope to hear back what his findings are (I'll update the thread with the new info).

So a number of questions come to mind:
1) Could the .32 slide/.380 barrel combo have caused this if the slide was not machined or converted to .380?
2) Is anyone aware of this as a common problem with this pistol design?
3) Does anyone know where a replacement barrel could be found (hopefully when I find out how the breech face inspection went, I can recommend to them to either replace it with a .32 or .380 barrel)?

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG 37M barrel failure help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "FEG 37M barrel failure help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!