(VA) State Legislature Lobby Day

PDA

doseyclwn
January 21, 2003, 09:38 AM
Myself and some folks from the VCDL (Hey Guys) went down to the VA State Legislature yesterday for Lobby Day, just talking to our Senators and Delegates about pending legislation. First time I've done anything like that. Since I am still waiting for my permit, I had to carry openly. I only got 2 (Oh my god, there's a man with a gun) comments.

One interesting conversation I had was when this old guy comes up to me and says "Are you carrying a pistol?"

"Why, yes I am".

"Are you a cop?"

"Nope"

"Are you in the military or something?"

"Nope"

"Well then why are you carrying a pistol?"

"Because I'm an American"

One thing I noticed that disturbed me was that the Million Mom March was out there in force. I'm pretty sure they were all PAID to be there, which is one of my only legitimate complaints about them (Well, besides the fact that they want to take away my freedom, but they DO have the right to say that). They had all these kids there wearing these stop sign stickers that say "Stop gun violence". I got to thinking, maybe I should wear one. I'm pretty sure most law-abiding gun owners are against gun violence. I know I am.

If you enjoyed reading about "(VA) State Legislature Lobby Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maestro
January 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Well,
So what do the boys in Richmond have planned for us this year?.Anything we should be alerted to?All the Reps. from my district are for gun owners.But the wackos in the Northern part of the state seem to be getting a liberal twist.

David Park
January 21, 2003, 11:51 AM
Here's a list of bills under consideration:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?031+sbj+068

Mostly good, some bad, some that need to be watched carefully.

As for the NoVa wacko liberals, there seems to be a bit of a move towards conservative values in the area. I'm very pleased with Ken Cuccinelli, the new Senator from the Centreville area. He was elected in a special election last August. Unfortunately, I'm "represented" by a bunch of gun grabbers. :mad:

doseyclwn
January 21, 2003, 11:53 AM
Well,
So what do the boys in Richmond have planned for us this year?.Anything we should be alerted to?All the Reps. from my district are for gun owners.But the wackos in the Northern part of the state seem to be getting a liberal twist.

If you are up near Fairfax, that's why. We've had a lot of trouble with them. Basically the two bills up that we were concentrating on are HB1997 and HB 1516.

HB1997 is the restaurant ban repeal. We are against it in it's current form, because it would actually make things worse for gun owners than it is now.

HB1516 is Delegate Blacks' pre-emption bill, which basically does away with all "grandfathering". Basically it creates uniform laws across the state for concealed and open carry of firearms, instead of allowing localities to pass draconian local ordinances (like Fairfax) and not tell you about it.

Smurfslayer
January 21, 2003, 02:43 PM
Hb1997 is NOT in any way, shape, or form a repeal of the ban on concealed carry in alcohol serving establishments. What it does is create what is codified as "entertainment establishments" which either:
1: make more than 30% of their revenue from alcohol sales or
2: is defined by VA ABC as such.

criteria include, but are not limited to, special events, art shows, sporting venues, restaurants, hotels, etc...

Also, I thought that Del. Black's preemption bill was rolled into teh other (competing, and weaker) preemption bill...

In discussion with a couple of friends, I think we're going to get shafted again by the GA this year, just like last year...
(last year we had several bills up for consideration and only 1 made it through, preemption strengthening). That's likely what will happen again this year.

If you enjoyed reading about "(VA) State Legislature Lobby Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!