Shield to Prevent Flame Cutting?

PDA

bluetopper
March 9, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm beginning to notice a touch of flame cutting beginning to start on my magnum revolvers. Is there a thin shield available a person can perhaps glue to the topstrap to stop this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shield to Prevent Flame Cutting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fourdollarbill
March 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
I never seen one but I would imagine you could make one to fit your specific gun. Personally I don't think one could shoot enough bullets to cut through the strap or at least even weaken it. What kind of gun is it? You must be burning some hot powders with light bullets.

bluetopper
March 9, 2010, 01:58 PM
I meant to post this in the Revolver section, but oh well....

On my Smith 686-3 and my 629-6 is what I'm talking about. I just shoot normal size cast lead bullets, never light jacketed ones.......but a lot of them on a regular basis.

R.W.Dale
March 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
Some of the new alloy framed S&W revolvers have such a device.

Ratshooter
March 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think it was the 357 maximum that used to give some flame cutting to the topstrap. S&W determined that it would only go a little ways and then stop.

I don't know why they didn't dovetail a shallow groove in the topstrap and insert a hardened stainless steel plate that could be replaced if it wore through.

bluetopper
March 9, 2010, 02:14 PM
It's just enough you can tell it and it might be normal.

It may just get to the point where mine is and not ever get any worse.

Scrapperz
March 9, 2010, 02:21 PM
You might to keep asking but I heard this flame cutting gets to a certain point and stops, thus not affecting the integrity of the frame.

fourdollarbill
March 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
Also maybe your seeing a build up of burn off or lead and it looks like a groove. Did you try to scratch it off with a brass tool or brush. My GP100 has a slight build up of lead right where the hot gasses hit the strap inline with the forcing cone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shield to Prevent Flame Cutting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!