EAA Windicator 357 , Rossi, Taurus those are my choices

PDA

lobo9er
March 9, 2010, 04:14 PM
N E 1 ever shoot a EAA Windicator? looking at low end 357 snubbies. Budget is 250-300 right where a used rossi, taurus, and EAA are widely avail.

EAA
[IMG]http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Revolver/Windicator.jpg

taurushttp://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/617B.jpg
rossihttp://www.braztech-rossi.com/DisplayPic.aspx?TID=1030

If you enjoyed reading about "EAA Windicator 357 , Rossi, Taurus those are my choices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rocinante
March 9, 2010, 04:25 PM
Nobody here likes the word budget. Don't risk your existence trying to save a few bucks. Get a used Smith, Ruger, Colt.

ArmedBear
March 9, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've bought guns for less. A lot less. And liked them.

I just figure that a snubbie is a gun you plan to stake your life on. That's different from "sporting purposes.":)

Taurus would be my off-the-cuff choice -- they've been making good, reliable guns -- but I don't know if I'd call them "budget" at this point, since from what I've seen, they're in the same price ballpark as Smith or Ruger.

The Windicator might have the quality of a Colt Python, but I wouldn't call it "proven" since it's hard to find anyone who has seen or touched one, to say nothing of shot hundreds of rounds through it. I'm not a "first adopter." Working in tech, I think "first adopter" is a synonym for "sucker" about 80% of the time. Sometimes, you get lucky, but I wouldn't stake my life on it...

7.62 Nato
March 9, 2010, 04:40 PM
I had a Taurus model 66 357 that I never had any trouble with (except for getting stolen). I've been told the steel Windicator is better than the lightweight.

warnerwh
March 9, 2010, 06:43 PM
You may want to look at Charter Arms too. They are made here and from what I've read their customer service is excellent. I don't see any bashing threads against them either.

frankiestoys
March 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
lobo9er
I have a EAA Widicator 4'' in .357 it is the steel version too, i use it as a House gun . I bought it about a year ago and have fired about 200 rounds through it , 150 in .38 and 50 rounds in .357's. It fired great!
Now with that said it is not the same quality as a Smith or Ruger .The gun is chunky and solid but the trigger is crude and the finish is rough. The sights are fixed but work well enough, but this is NOT a target gun. I guess you can carry the snub version but i have an SP 101 for that :D
Now i want to explain why its my house gun.
God forbid i have to use it on some intruder ,it would be taken for evidence.
If i was to be robbed its the only gun not in a safe, i could live with that.
Its a fine gun for what i paid, if i remember it was $225 . They have been in production for 25 years (so im told ) Rossi, Charter or Armscor are other choices for budget revolvers.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/frankiestoys68/HPIM3354.jpg

lobo9er
March 9, 2010, 11:30 PM
not trying to save a few bucks. Thats all I want to spend. I'm not gonna invest in a High end snub nose to find out I don't like them. If I pick up a economy and it seems like something I like then I would decide on buying a SW or something. A taurus or comprable will give me an idea what there all about. I have only bought one smith and wesson (ar15) very unreliable sent back once came back a hair better and sold it. So I don't believe that I just need to buy SW and not look back. I wish ruger LCR came in 357 though those look pretty nice. I appreciate frankies post.

ArmedBear
March 9, 2010, 11:40 PM
What do you mean, "To see if you like them?"

IME snubbies aren't great "fun guns." They're great carry guns. I really like my snubbies, but they're not toys. Other wheelguns make much more amusing toys.

I figure, you either have a use for one, or you don't.

wlewisiii
March 10, 2010, 12:05 AM
Most people Don't Like snubbies. The recoil sucks & the sight picture is even worse.

I reminded myself of that fact recently with a Taurus 650 CIA in stainless. Excellent revolver. But magnum loads hurt & even +P sucked. I could hit ok at 10 yards, but beyond that was getting into "side of the barn" territory.

I happily traded it in on a well used 4" S&W Model 64 that I love to carry and shoot. +P in that is a push rather than a slap and, no, I can't do magnums. But the 6 +P I do carry will be on target.

The real problem for most people is the compromise between what they will carry & what they actually want to shoot. You need to decide which is more important - carry size or being willing to shoot it enough to actually matter when the SHTF.

Putting lead on target is more important to me. YMMV.

William

ljnowell
March 10, 2010, 12:16 AM
EAA windicator gets my vote for the worst DA trigger, and poorest overall fitment of a revolver I have ever handled. You could barely get the cylinder release to work until taking it apart and cleaning it out and oiling the hell out of it. Literally dripping.

W.E.G.
March 10, 2010, 12:20 AM
You probably already know that the low-end (Taurus, Rossi, Charter) guns are a bit of a risk when it comes to reliability. You decide how much risk you are willing to take.

If you know guns well, and you still get one of those guns, you should be able to tell pretty quickly whether the gun has reliability issues. If there are no such issues, you are good to go. At that point its just snobbery, fit-and-finish, and resale value to think about.

For a .38 snub that is going to be sweated-on, banged-around, and handled a lot, I'd just as soon that it be one of those lower-end guns. I don't think I've seen a post yet where somebody was crying the blues about having scratched their Charter Arms .38.

Put at least 200 rounds of your primary carry ammo through it before you rule it "reliable."

frankiestoys
March 10, 2010, 06:58 AM
EAA windicator gets my vote for the worst DA trigger, and poorest overall fitment of a revolver I have ever handled. You could barely get the cylinder release to work until taking it apart and cleaning it out and oiling the hell out of it. Literally dripping.
As i said the trigger is crude and ive noticed that the cylinder sticks a little but if you use your right thumb while releasing the cylinder it pops out just fine. It took a few rounds to figure that out, but its just a quirk.
W.E.G
your right as rule i always shoot at least 200 rounds, more out of an auto before
i feel safe knowing my gun will go bang if i need it to.

shockwave
March 10, 2010, 08:03 AM
The Taurus and Rossi revolvers I've handled have been virtually indistinguishable from S&W in terms of quality, fit and finish. A Rossi 971 in .357 is a perfectly acceptable firearm.

halfded
March 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
All I have to say is compare the two pictures you posted.

Nuff said.

BTW, the Windicators are HEAVY!!

lobo9er
March 10, 2010, 12:47 PM
What do you mean, "To see if you like them?"
cant say it anymore clear than "see if I like them" have never shot one or carried one and would like to see how I like them armedbear. Shooting a taurus snub nose can't be to much different from shooting a sw at the range as far as recoil and function is concerned so I would rather spend 250-300 than 500-1000 on something I maynot care for. If its to my liking maybe down the road I may buy new shiny SW. Rumors have it that ruger has talked about a 357 LCR. Wait to see. Thanks for all the replies though. sounds like probably an EAA will be left at the shop if I cross one.

jimmyraythomason
March 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
Taurus would be my off-the-cuff choice Same here. I've also had good experiences with the Rossi .357 snubbie(before it was stolen) but have never handled the EAA.

bflobill_69
March 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
I feel the obligation to encourage you to save a few more $$$ and buy a used S&W .357...

But if you have to choose between those 3, I would go with the EAA Windicator. Its a beefier gun than the Rossi and the Taurus. I would Guess its BIGGER than a S&W K Frame.

I own one, and shoot it periodically now, but have put MANY rounds through my Windicator in the past. It is durable, reliable, and relatively accurate. It is however rough around the edges, and not nearly as pretty as my Smiths =/

Bflobill69

jimmyraythomason
March 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
I feel the obligation to encourage you to save a few more $$$ and buy a used S&W .357...
Why?

bflobill_69
March 10, 2010, 06:01 PM
Personal experience and opinion... I am a firm believer in the philosophy of buying a quality gun that lasts for many, many years... and S&W's, especially the older ones do just that.

ljnowell
March 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
As I had posted above, my experiences were from actually shooting one of these guns. Quality was very poor. However, it was reasonably accurate, and did seem like it would be fairly reliable, just poorly fit and manufactured.

When my wife decided she wanted a 357 magnum one of these was on the table for a bit. I looked around and was torn between the full size windicator, a Taurus, or a used S&W. I bought the S&W. With the cost of ammunition as high as it is, even to reload nowadays, I cant see the big difference in spending an extra 200 bucks to have a good gun. Anymore, in 357 mag thats what, like 500 rounds of ammo? Life is too short to own crappy guns.

jimmyraythomason
March 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
I have a S&W Model 36 and a 686 and Taurus Model 85 and a M44 at the moment and have had Rossi and Taurus snubbies over the years. I have never experienced any problems with reliability or any failure to function. I have heard some folks complain about their auto-loaders but practically no one complains about their revolvers. I am confident that the Taurus and Rossi revolvers are just as reliable as the higher dollar brands. I have owned S&W,Colt,Dan Wesson,Charter Arms as well as Rugers and a host of lesser revolvers and find the Taurus or Rossi snubs as dependable as any. Fit and finish are also well within acceptable limits.

w_houle
March 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
I like my EAA just fine
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4269/img082t.jpg

bflobill_69
March 11, 2010, 03:39 AM
Life is too short to own crappy guns.

+1 ljnowell

jimmyraythomason
March 11, 2010, 07:51 AM
Life is too short to own crappy guns. I'll just file that away under "O" for opinion.

ljnowell
March 11, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'll just file that away under "O" for opinion.

You are 100% right. IMO a 20lb+ DA pull on a revolver is crappy. IMO a gun with tooling marks so bad it looks like a badger milled the frame is crappy. IMO it ranks right there with hi point. It probably wont blow up, but it isnt quality.

jimmyraythomason
March 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
it isnt quality. No one has ever been able to define quality. In my experience with Charter Arms,Rossi and Taurus handguns none of the "crappy" things you list applied. I have no experience with the EAA.

2FNSLO
March 11, 2010, 02:31 PM
If you are anywhere close to southern Ohio I would let you shoot my Ruger sp101 and my Taurus ultra lite in 38spl to try them out and see if you at least like shooting them.
As far as not spending a lot to see if you like them or not, if you buy used you can typically get your money back if you decide you don't like them.

frankiestoys
March 11, 2010, 02:52 PM
Here is a report from GUN TEST Magazine i found it interesting and thought i should share it. It simply shows that even cheaper guns can be a better value over the norm.

bdb benzino
March 11, 2010, 03:07 PM
Nice article!! I did'nt think that the Germans could make a bad weapon.:confused:

dom1104
March 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
I agree. save more. Life IS too short for junk.

RonBernert
March 11, 2010, 03:30 PM
To see if you will like them?

Geez. I have had several snubbies and I have hated shooting every one of them! It sucks! You run low powered loads thru them and it still sucks! Fact is, (and repeat this as necessary) SNUBBIES ARE NOT THERE TO BE FUN!!! Snubbies are there to save your life! Buy the best one you can! Don't go on a "budget", don't buy one for a test drive!! Buy one because your life depends on it!!

I shoot my S&W 442 as little as 100 rounds per year. I have "fun to shoot" guns, but I don't carry them on me. I carry small guns on me because a cop is too heavy. And because I have trouble sticking an AK47 in my pants. (insert gas tube joke here)

Rent, borrow or go shooting with a buddy who has one or more snubbies and try it out.

S&W, Colt and Ruger are first choices. Buy a Taurus if you like to have that voice in the back of your head say "is this the shot that'll break it?" You would probably catch me dead carrying a Rossi, Charter Arms, EAA Windblower, etc. BUY QUALITY, BUY IT ONCE. (end of rant):fire:

jimmyraythomason
March 11, 2010, 03:39 PM
Taurus's shoot every time. So do Rossi's and since that is all that matters in a defense weapon buy what you can afford.

bdb benzino
March 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you ever fired any of the brands you warn against Ron B??

RonBernert
March 11, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes. I was shot at with a Rossi that failed, I've gone thru a Taurus or two, I picked up an EAA and, well, you just kind of know.. A friend is trying to get rid of his Charter Arms "twins".. A .38 and a .327. I have shot both.

I have owned more guns than I can count, and each has it's virtue. I have learned to just not even bother with a budget. It costs what it costs.. Hell, it's just my life...

RonBernert
March 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
As a matter of fact, I was cleaning out the safe theother day and took a load of guns to my local dealer to consign.. Among them: Old .32 lemon squeezers, a P64, A bulgarian Makarov, but most notably: a Hi-Point .45. a Chino, California Jennings J-22 and it's younger brother, a Jimenez. I am guilty of buying cheap guns even cheaper from friends who buy them "because they didn't want to spend that much"

bdb benzino
March 11, 2010, 04:01 PM
I appreciate the first hand experience, thanks.

While for the most part I agree with what you are saying, I think Taurus may have become more quality as of lately. I took a chance on a couple snubbies in the last year and have been impressed, especially when comparing them to the new S&W offerings. Not that S&W is bad at all, but not near as good like my 1981 model 10. I have had great service from both of them after a deep cleaning, they had alot of factory gunk on them. I find them to have fairly smooth actions for a new revolver, and they lock up well.

Now I realize about Taurus customer service, but for my $ if I ever have a problem, I will be taking it to my local smithy. For the price of shiping he could fix most problems, and I trust his work as it has been stellar several times.

RonBernert
March 11, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've never had any major issues out of S&W. I have had to get 3 re-timed, which was kind of odd, but from what I have heard, was normal after a few thousand rounds. I must admit that I know less about Colt, but they have always been just great. Almost every colt I've owned was either a .357 or .44, and 4" or 6". I don't know about being the "cadillac", but they are a very strong Buick.
Above all, I love Rugers. Mainly the Six series. I didn't until a first Ruger purchase a few years ago, but they are truly the workhorse of the revolvers.. Need technical proof? Go buy a reloading manual and look for the ultra-pressure "Ruger-only" loads...
Taurus have just had too much of a checkered reputation for me. The only reason I am still here after a pretty major gunfight one evening at a family store was because the bad guy had a Rossi. He just kept pulling the trigger, but it just didn't fire...

Merv41
March 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
Taurus makes a good gun and they also own Rossi so you you get same warranty Rossi also good and offers 6 rounds instead of five in taurus cost runs $75 to $100. less selling here @Rossi $279. Taurus $369. either would be a good choice. JMHO.

Erik M
March 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
I love with the "spend $900 or you are wasting money and risking your life" crowd chimes in. I have shot several rounds through a windicator, accurate at 25 feet and still locks up as tight as the day it was bought.

ljnowell
March 12, 2010, 12:18 AM
I dont think there was a 900 dollar crowd, just simply those of us saying spend spend a little more on something decent.

BenB8290
March 12, 2010, 05:31 AM
I have a cheap ($90.00 brand new) .410 Rossi single shot and a 9mm. Hi-Point C-9. I could defend my life w/ them. If you're on a budget; you have to make due w/ what you have.

If you enjoyed reading about "EAA Windicator 357 , Rossi, Taurus those are my choices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!