Maybe a dumb question but

PDA

Gambit88
March 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
Can you convert a rifle designed for percussion caps to flintlock by switching out the locks or vice versa, or is it more complacated then that. I want to get a flintlock rifle but the caplock rifles are cheaper right now, so I was thinking about getting a kit and then getting a flintlock at a gunshow. and converting. The more I think about it I would probably need a new barrel too but I dont know

Gambit

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a dumb question but" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcflint
March 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
You can't just go to a gun show and buy a flint lock to drop in... The lock must match the percussion lock in shape and dimensions in order to fit into your wood stock.

If the maker of your caplock also makes a flintlock, they are probably the same profile and mechanism. If the barrel has a drum and nipple arrangement, then you just need a flash hole plug to replace the drum. If it has a bolster you will need a new barrel with a flint flash hole, also from the same maker in order to fit your stock.

Many flintlock rifles of old were converted to percussion by replacing thelock, or just the hammer, and installing a drum and nipple. They would convert back easily.

See what Dixie Gun Works has in rifles and kits, they probably have interchangable locks and parts.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 10, 2010, 03:20 PM
Here is my way of doing it. Just start with a Flintlock first. Get a replacement
frizzen. Cut the face off and weld back on in front of the pan. Drill & tap
1/4-28 for a nipple. Make a steel flint shapped to act as a hammer. This
works GREAT! You only have to change the frizzen and put in a flint to
change back & forth. You do not have to put any powder in the pan, when
using as a cap. This is just one way of doing it.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0007_filtered.jpg

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 10, 2010, 03:27 PM
This is how it looks as a Flintlock
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0010-1.jpg

wittzo
March 11, 2010, 07:34 PM
That's a brilliant idea, it makes me want to take a second look at some of the flintlocks I've been passing up. Definitely another tool for the toolbox.

1KPerDay
March 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
That is funky-cool.

sltm1
March 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Really slick conversion!!

BHP FAN
March 12, 2010, 10:44 PM
Confederates started doing that in 1861...[at least the hammer part] nice modern take on it, really slickly done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a dumb question but" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!